high-imp cans + amp vs low-imp cans + amps
Feb 28, 2007 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

warsurferX

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

Suppose I'm interested in getting a pair of DT880s, do you think it's better to get the pro version plus an amp (really appreciate if you guys could recommend some that has great synergy
tongue.gif
) OR the same phones with lower impedance WITHOUT an amp? (My bad with the title)

From the responses from the various thread that i've read, it seems like most would agree that any cans plus an amp would sound better. But i was wondering if it's worth that sort of money.
blink.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 8
bump?

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm interested in this too. Does anyone know? Or no one knows..

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 8
You might get more responses asking what people have with each headphone and how they like it. The problem is that most people here are (obviously) very into sound and as a result will sometimes go to extreme. I have no doubt that there are quite a few who will tell you that the ONLY way to listen to even low imped cans is with an amp. It's not that they're trying to be a jerk, it's their opinion. Your question is basically asking for just a general opinion. What's worse you didn't mention your source so no one can really comment on what the dt880 might sound like since it's not clear what you're feeding it with.

I think you're going to get a clear group of people who are happy without an amp so any low imped cans will be fine according to them. The next group will be those who are only happy WITH an amp and the cans really don't matter.

If want to know what amps work well with a specific can then I'm sure many will post their preference.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 8
I think the OP is asking the difference between high and low impedance headphones, BOTH amped. Say, Beyers which are offered in multiple impedances for the same model of headphones.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks pretzelb for you advise.

I guess the reason i'm asking this general question is because I'm not the US (Singapore actually) and it, IMO, can be quite risky/costly to purchase any items from the US. I visited some of the HiFi shops and they do not seem to have the lower imp versions. said they'll bring it in but i'll have to purchase them.

But anyway, I'll probably be using it with my 80G Ipod and a CD player (maybe a Marantz, CA Azure or Micromega/Audiolab setup in the future) At the moment, I have a PA2v2 with my MS-1 and HD497.

Any opinions about marrying the DT880s with the PA2v2? If yes which version would you guys recommend?

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Hmmm.. I'm not sure if this might help but i listen to A LOT of musicals.

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 8
You might not "need an amp" with the high-impedance version. For all I know, you might also "need an amp" with the low-impedance version.
Making an intelligent decision would require looking into several variables... the easiest solution would be to buy the standard version and see how it works with your current equipement. You can always get another amp later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back