1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

High Frequency Noise at Certain Volume Levels

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by fabama, Apr 18, 2013.
  1. Fabama
    I have owned my pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80's for about a year now, however I have been using them un-amped up until yesterday.
    I recently received my first amp and DAC combo (I bought a Schiit Magni and a Topping D20), and I have noticed a bit of a strange issue.
    At particular volume levels on the potentiometer (around 7-9 o'clock, a little behind 12 o'clock, and a little behind 5 o'clock), I hear a high pitched noise, similar to the sound of a radio being tuned, and some static.
    I want to say that it is somehow related to the USB, as I only hear said noise through the USB connection and not through the optical, but there is something peculiar about it.
    The noise is only audible with my DT 770's. I have a pair of Grado Sr60i's as well, and I cannot hear the whining and static at all through said pair.

Could it be a problem with my Beyerdyamic headphones? Or should I invest in some method of USB isolation? I had read about the potential of a ground loop, but that seemed to be the case mostly for laptop users, and I am using a desktop.

All advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. duncan1
    IF it is as you say it could be the inductance of the earphones along with the resistor and induced capacitance[low value] could be combining to produce a simple "straight"[non-superhet] radio receiver.
               Having repaired old radios for sale -quite collect able here.I have come across this before in audio circuits especially in valve equipment a very low value of capacitance to earth usually cured it/ or even re-routing of wires[change in capacitance of wiring].
               Having said that maybe somebody knows that those earphones have that as an existing fault /or have a more simpler explanation.