High extension on the MG Head OTL?
Jun 19, 2002 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Everyone keeps talking about how great the MGH is in the mids. They are amazing, glorious, etc. But what about the highs? Does it give detail in the higher ranges?

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 11
I've been letting my new MG Head OLT (I love typing that
biggrin.gif
) burn in for the last few days, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Also, I have a new source (Sony DVP-NS500V) that is getting some new music through it, so I'm not sure how much is the source vs. amp.

One of the cool things about the OLT is the ability to switch between the Transformer and the OLT jacks, and the Feed back switch, which for me dramatically changes the sound. With the phones (HD 580's) in the OLT jack, the high-end lays back a bit, and the bottom end opens up, rather to my liking. But when I listen music where I like to restore a more realistic sound, I switch to the Transformer jack, and I flick the feed back switch in the on position. This is where I hear the high end detail I've never heard before (granted, before I had just an airhead and a Sony PCDP), but I wouldn't say it drops my jaw like the midrange does. With some vocals the music sends shivers down my spine like I've never heard. Just some initial impressions from a new member of Team MG Head!

Jun 19, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 11
The bass in transformer out/no feedback mode is somewhat dependent on what headphones you're driving. I find that the Etymotic ER4S have better bass with the MG Head (transformer/no feedback) than with any other amp I've tried. In fact, the Ety4S/MG Head combo is rather breathtaking. Also, when I use the MG Head as a preamp into my NAD C350, I turn off my subwoofer. (i.e. The bass is stronger, though not quite as extended as using the NAD's built-in solid state preamp, or using a passive 20k-ohm preamp.)

On the other hand, with the Senn600s the bass is somewhat rolled off. Could be that the Senns just need more power, or could be an impedance matching issue.

As for the highs, they're one of the best things about the MG Head (given appropriate output tubes, nothing exotic, modern JJ/Tesla's are fine). The highs are refined in a very enjoyable way. Bright recordings (e.g. Hilary Hahn's Bach album) are still bright, but with a delightful emotion and lilt in the highs that makes them very listenable.

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 11
I think the Head (and Moretto) roll off the highs, but I often prefer that sound. Tube selection can accentuate the treble relative to midrange and/or bass, but I don't think changing tubes can change the frequency extension much..

=======
Originally posted by MirandaX
Also, when I use the MG Head as a preamp into my NAD C350,[\i]

Does your MG H have outs? Is that a custom job? My late model MG H OTL is missing them!

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 11
I have to admit that I didn't try the minijack yet, but it is labelled "INPUT"
confused.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 11
Nothing so exciting. Joe Lau posted a while ago that a good headphone amp makes a good preamp. I've been using a 1/4 inch headphone jack to double-RCA adaptor when I feel like using the MG Head as a preamp. Warning: don't try this with the OTL output, unless you put some sort of attenuator in between the head and the amplifier; there's too much gain and you risk destroying your amp or your speakers.

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Depends on output you use with MG Head OTL.

More bass on the OTL output.
Better detail and highs on the transformer output.

To me the HD600's lack that much bass output, so I use the transformer mode most of the time.

Jun 22, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
wait, you mean OTL?

??????????

OTL= output transformerless .

Many amps, including tube amps (and old transistor amps) use transformers to couple/connect stages or output devices. With a transformer, there is not direct physical connection, but a magnetic/inductive "connection". Transformers are also used to match impedences. And change voltages for power supplies, etc.

In the case of the MG HEAD OTL amp:

There are TWO output jacks. One (left) uses the original transformer output (with and without feedback, a switch is there).
The output is from a transformer.

The right jack is OTL. The transformer is not used as an actual output device/transformer, but a load/inductor to create an output signal from the tube, that is then fed through a capacitor to the headphones.

Properly designed (and it is in the MG Head OTL) this gives a different sound/output. Gives more bass in this case, and perhaps less detail than the transformer mode.

The transformer mode gives better mids and highs. Whether this is actually better mid and high freqs, or pleasant distortion is debatable. But the sound is more "sweeter". Some people like the sound. But the transformer mode does have a bit less bass and tightness for the bass. Transistors give better dynamic transducer control (headphone coil drivers).

My take.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back