High End Universal IEMs -- Tell Me Your Favorites
Feb 27, 2018 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ceeloChamp

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

CIEMs are amazing, they look cool, they sound amazing, and they fit like socks on a chicken, but they are a huge pain to order. Now-a-days they are about the same price as their UIEM counterparts, so if you don't have a pair...get you one.

However, I don't think I'm alone when I say that instant gratification is important to the audiophile side of me. After months of researching the right headphone, I want it right away. Since I'm not a full-sized headphone type of guy I am mostly left with UIEMs, but finding one that checks all the boxes is a pain...sometimes they sound great, but don't fit, sometimes they fit, but they don't have the sound I like.

I want to ask people 2 questions:

1) What are the best fitting TOTL IEMs you have tried?
2) What are the best sounding TOTL IEMs you have tried?

Please include IEMs from different price the three different price brackets ($1000, $2000, $3000+), since this is Summit I'm not particularly interested in any under the $1000usd mark.

Thanks in advance for all the awesome feedback :wink:
Ben

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 18
It looks like you have the A12t so I'd suggest a step up to my new fav, U18t :wink:
Fit and sound are exquisite.

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 18
It looks like you have the A12t so I'd suggest a step up to my new fav, U18t :wink:
Fit and sound are exquisite.

I'm actually still waiting on the A12ts I had an order in for A8s then they announced they were going to use Tia in their A12s, so I switched my order...I hate the waiting :frowning2:.

I actually think those U18ts look better than customs and the forte look amazing. I think the U18t is next on my list though, I love the 64 audio sound.

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 18
IE800S is standing next to flagship BA iems at a lot less money.

The sound is unreal for the price and that it’s only one tiny 7mm driver.

I feel like these are pretty underrated. Sadly, I feel like people (myself included) would have them if they looked a bit better. Great IEM, but uninspired design. @twister6 had a good review (as he does) of them, he seemed to really like them.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 18
I feel like these are pretty underrated. Sadly, I feel like people (myself included) would have them if they looked a bit better. Great IEM, but uninspired design. @twister6 had a good review (as he does) of them, he seemed to really like them.

You know I actually mentioned this in the senn thread, because they look bland, same design as before, no proper removeable cables and the plain fact that they are cheaper means they won’t be taken seriously as TOTL iem, I’ve seen some folks ordering an expensive aftermarket silver and gold cable before they’ve even had chance to hear their new custom zues that’s still being made in the factory. All this mostly because of looks alone. IE800S will be boring in comparison.

Sound quality really is extremely good though it’s shame many people won’t get to hear them.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 18
Oh yeah, i’ve Heard them they sound great. I also like that they are more like ear buds, too few companies do under-ear cables for high end IEMs, over ear cables are annoying sometimes.

Seriously though if they had those in a better shell, had a replaceable cable, and spiffed up their marketing/accessories they would probably sell a lot more.

I do think looks are an important part of IEMs though for better or worse.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 18
HiFiMan RE2000 - Smooth, natural, detailed, wide soundstage. These are a more laid back, easy to enjoy IEM that sound superb.

Dita Dream - Analytical, micro-details are easily heard, maybe a little bright for some but the bass digs deep.

Both excellent, both different signatures.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 18
HiFiMan RE2000 - Smooth, natural, detailed, wide soundstage. These are a more laid back, easy to enjoy IEM that sound superb.

Dita Dream - Analytical, micro-details are easily heard, maybe a little bright for some but the bass digs deep.

Both excellent, both different signatures.

Interesting, those are 2 IEMs that not a lot of people recommend. That and the ie800s. Thank you, I am interested in those Ditas a lot. I like how you have the ability to switch terminations.

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 18
Interesting, those are 2 IEMs that not a lot of people recommend. That and the ie800s. Thank you, I am interested in those Ditas a lot. I like how you have the ability to switch terminations.

You'll have to find a 2nd hand pair, as they were a limited run, but worth it if you can afford them. We still have a pair here in the office and I really enjoy them :D

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 18
Campfire Andromeda. This $1000 IEM competes with $2000 and $3000 IEM's. However you have to upgrade it with the Reference 8 cable (if you thought the stock Andromeda had a huge soundstage, wait till you try it with this cable) and pick the right source.

Sure, there will be some $4000 IEM that is better, but the performance is good enough to stop me from upgrading.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 18
U18t best i've heard hands down across 10-15 TOTL iems, second best was noble kaiser encore

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Campfire Andromeda. This $1000 IEM competes with $2000 and $3000 IEM's. However you have to upgrade it with the Reference 8 cable (if you thought the stock Andromeda had a huge soundstage, wait till you try it with this cable) and pick the right source.

Sure, there will be some $4000 IEM that is better, but the performance is good enough to stop me from upgrading.

I love the Andros, but I don't think they sound nearly as good as a U18t or a Zeus XR....they are outstanding though, they are my daily drivers.

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 18
I love the Andros, but I don't think they sound nearly as good as a U18t or a Zeus XR....they are outstanding though, they are my daily drivers.

Didn't hear those, but I heard other $2000 and $3000 IEM's and the Andromeda's won lol.

It's probably not the best IEM in the world, but the price / performance ratio is very good.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 18
What source are you using with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back