High End Source for Redbook
Nov 27, 2008 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
Im currently looking at the Marantz SA7S1. I find Marantz's flagship cdp to be a wonderful high end bargin, especially in the used market. Ive seen them hovering around the $3500.00 mark used.

Ive read some reviews and impressions about the SA7S1, but cant help thinking that the impressions are based on the unit as an SACD player. I have very few SACDs, as most of my music collection is redbook cds.

Are there players that would beat out the Marantz SA7S1 on redbook performance in its price range used?

Im looking to mate the source with my O2 MKIs coming shortly. And am planning to purchase the next run of the KGBH SE.

Vincent

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 33
At the price, perhaps not. I'm an Esoteric guy, but I have a Meridian 808, and I think the Meridian would be a step up, but probably not so much in value. I would however look hard at the Esoteric DV-60. It has the SACD flexiility and is a great value too in my view.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the price, perhaps not. I'm an Esoteric guy, but I have a Meridian 808, and I think the Meridian would be a step up, but probably not so much in value. I would however look hard at the Esoteric DV-60. It has the SACD flexiility and is a great value too in my view.

Considered! I need to audition but i know what i prefer. I mean ive never heard an Esoteric, but it seems that some people feel its on the "colder, analytical" side of the sound spectrum.

I definately prefer a smooth, musical presentation to music. Which is why I found interest in the Marantz SA7S1.

If anyones heard the APL NWO 3.0 GO player, thats the kind of presentation im looking for. But I cant afford $35,000.00

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considered! I need to audition but i know what i prefer. I mean ive never heard an Esoteric, but it seems that some people feel its on the "colder, analytical" side of the sound spectrum.

I definately prefer a smooth, musical presentation to music. Which is why I found interest in the Marantz SA7S1.

If anyones heard the APL NWO 3.0 GO player, thats the kind of presentation im looking for. But I cant afford $35,000.00

Then I'd say take a look at the Meridian models. Poblem with Meridian is they don't have a lot of products in the line (like Esoteric). So, you'll either save money or blow your budget. But, Meridian is very warm. I use it with my B-52 and it is a perfect warm, high resolution complement.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 33
Well i've considered Meridian, but ive listened to Rays 508 and wasnt that impressed.

Im sure the G08 and 808 are much more impressive, but the only one i can really consider is the G08. The 808 used is basically around the same price as the Emm Labs CDSA SE one box. Can anyone compare the G08 to the SA7S1?

I have a feeling that the SA7S1 is the better player. Need to listen myself though.

Vcoheda can probably comment on the G08, but im not sure if hes ever heard the SA7S1.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 33
Vcoheda is a Meridian guy. I've listened to the Marantz. It is a great player. On balance, I might go with the Marantz as you're leaning anyway.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 33
i wouldnt consider any marantz high end, they're just not that good in my experience. at 3500 you have so many choices. what type of signature do you prefer?

with the o2, i thought that wadia players mated quite well but my vote goes to krell kps-28c, it is one badass sounding kit. i've wanted to get one for the longest time but i'm waiting for naim to come out with a stand alone dac.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #9 of 33
Krell huh? Interesting.

Ive never done any research on their products and have no idea what kind of sound signature they have.

My preference is something thats smooth, highly musicical, and ultra resolving. Emphasis on a very sweet midrange if possible. Thats why I tend to gravitate toward the Marantz SA7S1(havent heard) and Emm Labs gear(which i have heard).

Can anyone describe the Krell player Panda was talking about? and compare?

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Suggest you give the Nagra CDP or CDC a try. I have the CDP and I think it will meet your needs.

The CDC is attractive too for a small amount extra, but I heard that the CDP is sonically better, although the CDC does come with a headphone amp built-in.

F. Lo

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 33
Here are two that will give you that smooth, musical presentation, without sounding bland, or lacking detail. I prefer them both to the Marantz.
BAT VK-D5SE (24 bit)
Classe CDP-202

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 33
if you want sweet mids, nevermind on the krell it has an agressive sound. audio aero capitole or sim audio moon super nova would suit your interest. the nova is more pure sounding but the capitole has a more euphonic signature.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 33
Thanks for the suggestions panda, I really want to stay away from something that may jump out at me at first listen. This was my first thought when you described the Krell. Ive realised that alot of times, gear like this will end in dissatisfation for the long run. The initial wow in most audio equipment is definately a warning sign for me. I need a source that just sounds right without having to boost anything unnatrually to wow me in the beginning. These kinds of players just get better and better, day after day, year after year. Thats what im looking for.

The sim audio player looks awesome though...

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 33
Oh and another thing that is absolutely necessary for me is soundstage depth. Im really looking for a player that will give me the best depth in soundstage for my O2s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back