High-End Solid State Amps : Overview & Roundtable
Sep 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #31 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I humbly add the Aural Audition.

Thanks for mentionning this one. Iwasn't aware of its existence.
6moons reviewed it and mentionned the most expensive headphone amp I ever seen : Holmes Powell DCT-2 .... 6000$ !!
I could buy a damn good full size rig with this !

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #32 of 114
I tested grace m 902 a few days ago and my impressions are very positive.

I tested it with my hd 600 and my own cd player/cables.I tested it both as an amp and as a dac+amp.

The sound was very good,with good dynamics,very good transparency and detail without being harsh,precise imaging nice natural mids,and very good bass definition and impact.Bass extension was also good.It was an overall very satisfying sounding amp,very detailed without losing in musicallity,and with good timpre.

Compared to my (hybrid tube amp)x can v8(without psu),grace m902 was more detailed with better clarity,better dynamics and better mid bass/bass definition.
X can v8 has a bit "softer",sweeter sound,but still very good.(without the psu the sound lacks in dynamics and bass impact/definition and overall clarity,but still sounds very good to my ears)

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #34 of 114
I highly recommended a used Larocco Headcode and Gilmore Reference if you can find one.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #38 of 114
I'd also recommend going with a Beta22. You missed the window of opportunity for the backplane group buy, but there might be another one or two around tha someone is willing to sell. I picked one up and will (eventually) get around to stuffing it with the Beta22 parts I have boxed up here.

Also, there are a couple of builders (IIRC) listed at AMB's site. You can get one, but it'll be a custom build that will take several weeks. It is worth it, though. The Beta22 is a spectacular amp with terrific performance.

A dark horse might be the Dynamight. I know several have been built and they come up for sale every now and then. I think boards and substitute chips (the originals are out of production) are still available from Dan Gardner, but I haven't checked for a few months. That is another one I have in parts - as well as a frighteningly large heatsink - waiting for some free time. You won't hear much about it, but it's almost the final word in killer solid state amps.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #39 of 114
After all I read about the b22, I'm wondering is someone shouldn't release a pre-built Head-Fi version (or Head-F1
smily_headphones1.gif
) . This would be a best seller IMO !

I've asked a question about the difference between SPL Phonitor ans Auditor. I got a very quick answer from someone at SPL : "Basically, Auditor and Phonitor are the same amps, based upon our 120V components and circuitry.
If you do not need the speaker monitoring options the Phonitor provides, the Auditor with its puristic concept is the best choice."

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #40 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all I read about the b22, I'm wondering is someone shouldn't release a pre-built Head-Fi version (or Head-F1
smily_headphones1.gif

I've asked a question about the difference between SPL Phonitor ans Auditor. I got a very quick answer from someone at SPL : "Basically, Auditor and Phonitor are the same amps, based upon our 120V components and circuitry.
If you do not need the speaker monitoring options the Phonitor provides, the Auditor with its puristic concept is the best choice."

IIRC, phonitor is auditor + their highly regarded crossfeed capability. Seeing how there are people saying crossfeed is one of the main strengths of phonitor, I wonder if auditor is really worth the drop in price.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #41 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you still feel the same way if it cost ~$4k cause that's the range it would be in.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #42 of 114
^^ i agree. i have heard very good things about the crossfeed of the Phonitor. it seems to be the main selling point of the amp. take that away and you just have a normal amp, which then has to compete with everything else in similar and lower price brackets.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #43 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ i agree. i have heard very good things about the crossfeed of the Phonitor. it seems to be the main selling point of the amp. take that away and you just have a normal amp, which then has to compete with everything else in similar and lower price brackets.

Agree but 1000$ the crossfeed section really hurts ! I mean, it's way above any good DSP processor that would probably achieve nearly the same result.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #44 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you still feel the same way if it cost ~$4k cause that's the range it would be in.

4k.... I give up !!!
Would it be the price if I asked someone to build it for me ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back