High-End Solid State Amps : Overview & Roundtable
Sep 10, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 114
Beta22, Dynamite/Dynahi, GS-X.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #17 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beta 22, Audio-GD Phoenix, Ray Samuels Audio Apache, and Blue Circle Audio SBH are all terrific SS headphone amps.

Listen to Skylab -- the SBH is great, as is the Beta. I'm a little less bullish on the Phoenix and haven't heard the Ray Samuel. The Phonitor and the GS-1/GS-X would also be in my top 5.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beta 22, Audio-GD Phoenix, Ray Samuels Audio Apache, and Blue Circle Audio SBH are all terrific SS headphone amps.

That's the first indication that your review of the Phoenix will be a positive one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #20 of 114
Personally, I think the isabellina hpa is awesome.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #21 of 114
^^ the dac is pretty sweet too
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #22 of 114
It seems we have a lot of votes for the Beta 22 ! Do you guys automatically include the dedicated PSU or is it already awesome without it ?
Dumb question : If it's a so good design, why hasn't it been copied or taken over by a large manufacturer ? Would it cost too much ?

For the SPL, can anyone explain the price difference between the auditor and the phonitor ? Additional 1000$ only provide crossfeed and all the fancy controls ?

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems we have a lot of votes for the Beta 22 ! Do you guys automatically include the dedicated PSU or is it already awesome without it ?
Dumb question : If it's a so good design, why hasn't it been copied or taken over by a large manufacturer ? Would it cost too much ?

Not sure what you mean by dedicated PSU. And no I don't really think that there's a wall wart that could adequately power it. Most builds use a dedicated power supply . As far as why a company hasn't adopted it, I'd say cost, as well as possible licensing fees. Even in a more simple 2 or 3 channel build, it still has several hundred dollars in parts, which translates to an amp that costs nearly a $1000 or more using typical cost multipliers.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #24 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M^3 wasn't designed as a high-end amp. It was designed as a very good price/performance ratio amp. If offered the choice, I'd take the Beta22
smily_headphones1.gif

its certainly high-end. I could list many of the features of that kind of design that are quite high-end.

the performance is also quite high end. I don't have an m3 (yet) but I have a very similar PPA series amp and its dead quiet, has more range than my music has (lol) and compares quite well to the b22 that I also use.

high end does not meant it has to be 100% discrete, if that's what you're implying.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #25 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what you mean by dedicated PSU......

I was talking about the sigma 22. Ok it's not dedicated but it is usually paired with the B22.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the raw parts count is somewhat high since a WHOLE BOARD is dedicated to a ground channel and that's 'just not done' in the industry. not in any real mainstream way. even as a builder, I had to re-think if it was worth it TO ME to sink time and space (chassis space) and money into a 3rd channel. I decided not to (for now) and am living with a 2ch b22. I did build a 2nd PS for it and plan to run each of the 2 boards in monoblock config, which I think is way better than the ground-channel concept. ground-channels are cool but when it eats a whole board, that when I pull the stop-cord
wink.gif

the b22 is ti's design and I don't think he would allow a company to build it. it was meant as a DIY project.

if a company did build it and charged usual markup, it would be insanely expensive and if they dared put the trafo in the same box, it would be a huge box and the custom shielded trafo could add another $500 in price!

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #29 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the raw parts count is somewhat high since a WHOLE BOARD is dedicated to a ground channel and that's 'just not done' in the industry. not in any real mainstream way. even as a builder, I had to re-think if it was worth it TO ME to sink time and space (chassis space) and money into a 3rd channel. I decided not to (for now) and am living with a 2ch b22. I did build a 2nd PS for it and plan to run each of the 2 boards in monoblock config, which I think is way better than the ground-channel concept. ground-channels are cool but when it eats a whole board, that when I pull the stop-cord
wink.gif

I wish I had these skills to not only build a B22 myself but furthermore, to tweak it !

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #30 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what you mean by dedicated PSU. And no I don't really think that there's a wall wart that could adequately power it.

How 'bout two identical 24VAC 1A+ wall warts (24-0-24 series/strapped)? As I've two spares laying around
wink.gif
Would keep most A/C out of amp case...
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the raw parts count is somewhat high since a WHOLE BOARD is dedicated to a ground channel and that's 'just not done' in the industry. not in any real mainstream way. even as a builder, I had to re-think if it was worth it TO ME to sink time and space (chassis space) and money into a 3rd channel. I decided not to (for now) and am living with a 2ch b22.

OT & belongs in DIY, but in a couple/few months I'll be giving a 2-ch β22 a shot powered by two wall warts feeding a PS similar to amb's older β18. Mostly to try to meet my space & budget goals. Fitting in smallish, inexpensive fleabay "matel" HB-350 case.
Unsanctioned ground for sure but w/β22's PSRR & it being DIY what the heck
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back