High end RCA pcdps not good ??
post-749124
Post #1 of 6

megamagic

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Just received my RCA RP-7902A PCDP today boasting dual 18 bit D/A and 8x oversampling. It even has fingerprint detection...So excited to try it out!! Tried it out quickly and the sound isn't too good. Not nearly as clear as the DCP-150
But the denon was powered by an ac adapter (my powerbank actually) while the RCA was powered by 2 1.2v batteries rather than the 3v required...would this make any difference??

Edited: with picture now

post-749340
Post #2 of 6

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
what player is that? url? pics?

post-749519
Post #3 of 6

megamagic

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Warning! Lots of questions below...read if you dare:

1)Just wondering, anyone else try any RCA pcdps? What type of sound did you get from yours? Cause right now after some more listening and comparing to my technics sl-xp300 and denon, it seems that the RCA does in fact have the sonic details, but the tone is much more mellow than the other

2)If you have a technics sl-xp300, what would you consider the sound to be like? Reason I'm asking this is that I don't know what to think of this one except that I really like the sound. Although it does seem to sound much more dynamic (Dunno if this is the right word) than my other cd players- kinda opposite my RCA.

Thanks for reading...please help

post-750055
Post #4 of 6

Notorious P.I.G.

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by megamagic
Just received my RCA RP-7902A PCDP today boasting dual 18 bit D/A and 8x oversampling. It even has fingerprint detection...So excited to try it out!! Tried it out quickly and the sound isn't too good. Not nearly as clear as the DCP-150
But the denon was powered by an ac adapter (my powerbank actually) while the RCA was powered by 2 1.2v batteries rather than the 3v required...would this make any difference??

Edited: with picture now

You compared it to a DCP-150?! No wonder...I don't think that your going to find anything as clear as a 150.

post-750091
Post #5 of 6

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Even in its day, that RCA portable CDP was never considered a high-end portable unit. At best, it was only on a par with the bottom-of-the-line Sonys of their vintage. RCA/Thomson had always concentrated on the low-end, as far as portable audio electronics is concerned.

post-750454
Post #6 of 6

megamagic

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
ic, thanks Eagle_Driver

I guess since not many people have tried rca (assuming form the number of responses) I'll give some more details of my thoughts after more careful listening and comparing the DCP-150, sl-xp300, and a d-141:

The RCA reproduces most of the details of the music although the sound is much less balanced than the DCP-150. It also seems to boost the lower frequencies a little even without bass boost. There are 2 levels of bass boost which add either a lot of bass, or wayyyy too much bass (for me least)....also I happened to be using the ksc-35's for testing.....anyways---> continue reading

The RCA in comparison to the the d-141 and sl-xp300 is less dynamic . It seems to have more detail than the d-141 but is more dull sounding.

Overall, it's probably not worth it to buy one unless you just want to collect it since it has fingerprint detection....the d-141 has a much more enjoyable sound for less money.

Nevertheless, if anyone wants to get one to try it out I think there's an auction on ebay for one right now without the model number...but I heard we're not supposed to link to active ebay auctions...so I'll leave it at that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)