High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 18, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #2,101 of 4,183
This is really heartbreaking news, especially the circumstances around it. We all have a few special brands in our heart, the ones that really sparked a flame when we started out. For me that was the EarSonics Velvet, the iem I liked so much it got me hooked on Head-Fi (unfortunately), and the Toxic Cables Silver Widow, which ignited the cable virus. Even when I couldn't hear differences very well, I felt that the Silver Widow upgraded my whole system (even though my source was an ipod lol). Back then, paying more than $300 for a cable was absurd to me. But Frank's cables felt they had an x-value, and I think he was crushing the competition in that segment. In fact, I think the price/performance of his cables helped increase the popularity of iem cables in general.

A year ago during the shootout I came in contact with Frank when he stumbled on the cable thread, and we had a chat about a wide range of topics. Due to his popularity, he was regularly under attack by his competitors. But he also wouldn't take crap from anybody, and wasn't afraid to speak out. He was never keen on reviews because he felt they were too glossy, but he appreciated the honest and to the point blurbs at the begin of the thread, so he asked me to review the Silver Widows. I was kinda under pressure for the shootout reviews, but it felt wholesome to come back to the point I started at again, and to hear that one of the people you respect so much appreciated your approach. I don't want to make this about me, but it speaks to how Frank appreciated honesty and directness. In the end I'm glad I got to speak and work with him for a bit, he was a unique character.

R.I.P. Frank, you built up something special.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #2,102 of 4,183
This is really heartbreaking news, especially the circumstances around it. We all have a few special brands in our heart, the ones that really sparked a flame when we started out. For me that was the EarSonics Velvet, the iem I liked so much it got me hooked on Head-Fi (unfortunately), and the Toxic Cables Silver Widow, which ignited the cable virus. Even when I couldn't hear differences very well, I felt that the Silver Widow upgraded my whole system (even though my source was an ipod lol). Back then, paying more than $300 for a cable was absurd to me. But Frank's cables felt they had an x-value, and I think he was crushing the competition in that segment. In fact, I think the price/performance of his cables helped increase the popularity of iem cables in general.

A year ago during the shootout I came in contact with Frank when he stumbled on the cable thread, and we had a chat about a wide range of topics. He was never keen on reviews because he felt they were too glossy, but he appreciated the honest and to the point blurbs at the begin of the thread, so he asked me to review the Silver Widows. I was kinda under pressure for the shootout reviews, but it felt wholesome to come back to the point I started at again, and to hear that one of the people you respect so much appreciated your approach. I don't want to make this about me, but it speaks to how Frank appreciated honesty and directness. In the end I'm glad I got to speak and work with him for a bit, he was a unique character.

R.I.P. Frank, you built up something special.

My first real IEM upgrade cable is also the Silver Widow, which I just recently sent to HanSound Audio to let them do some retermination work since I know how busy Frank & Max were...

I was really looking forward to getting the Black Widow 22 V2 but that's not happening anytime soon. Such a sad day, may he R.I.P.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #2,103 of 4,183
So I ended up getting this beautiful Beat Audio Billow 8-wire, the build quality is top notch, more impressions to come later, but here is a photo first

20180718_185954.jpg

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,106 of 4,183
Oh man....so sorry (and shocked at the same time) to read that Frank has passed away :disappointed:

I remember some years ago I asked him why he always replied on my pm's so late in the nightime / early in the morning. He said that he usually worked on his cables and answering pm's during the nighttime, so he would at least still have some quality daytime left for his young son / family.
So, it seemed like he almost never rested and always tried to keep his backlog as short as possible, while giving his customers as much personal attention as possible as well. He certainly put his heart and soul for 100% into his beautiful and hq cables.

RIP!

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #2,107 of 4,183
RIP. Such as sad story. Makes you appreciate what you have.

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,111 of 4,183
Hello cable enthusiasts, thought I would share a photo of a cable I have incoming from David over at Triton Audio Cables. This is a new version of the Triton8 which is still a copper/silver hybrid design, but has upgraded OCC copper wires and a box braid design which looks very elegant. It is finished in PlusSound 2-pin connectors and 4.4mm jack. I can't wait to receive it and judging by the photo, it will be an outstanding cable in use. I tested a similar version and found it to be great - high resolution, neutral sound signature with a hint of warmth and sparkly treble. There's nothing not to like here, especially for the price.

triton8_occ.jpg

Will happily report back once I've had some time with it! Thanks again @alpha421

-Collin-

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #2,113 of 4,183
So I ended up getting this beautiful Beat Audio Billow 8-wire, the build quality is top notch, more impressions to come later, but here is a photo first

Very nice cable. Can you please tell me how much is that cable?

I have seen several used Billow cables on DCFever website :beyersmile:. There are many interesting used items on that website. I have tried to buy iBasso AMP4 but seller cancelled.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,114 of 4,183

Users who are viewing this thread

Back