High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jan 30, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,501 of 4,182
Would like a recommendation for my upcoming pair of trio's.

Think I read twister6 stating the horus is his preferred choice. I was wondering if anyone knew a more budget friendly version of the horus.

One that seems to bring out more details if I'm not mistaken.

Budget of about $500 give or take.

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,502 of 4,182

Think I read twister6 stating the horus is his preferred choice. I was wondering if anyone knew a more budget friendly version of the horus.

Should be Lionheart

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,503 of 4,182

I wouldn't call it exactly a preferred choice, I just stated that I hear the most noticeable change using it :wink: The higher you go in cable pricing, the more you are stepping in to the territory of diminishing returns. I switch cables all the time, but now have a stock one with Trio. Horus is paired up with U18t.

To be honest, I actually digging stock cable with Trio now. You haven't even received Trio yet, and already looking for a cable upgrade? :wink: My recommendation is to take small steps at a time. Don't upgrade anything until Trio is properly burned in, and you spend time getting to know its sound and pair up synergy with a stock cable and your preferred source. Then, go from there :)

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,504 of 4,182
I wouldn't call it exactly a preferred choice, I just stated that I hear the most noticeable change using it :wink: The higher you go in cable pricing, the more you are stepping in to the territory of diminishing returns. I switch cables all the time, but now have a stock one with Trio. Horus is paired up with U18t.

To be honest, I actually digging stock cable with Trio now. You haven't even received Trio yet, and already looking for a cable upgrade? :wink: My recommendation is to take small steps at a time. Don't upgrade anything until Trio is properly burned in, and you spend time getting to know its sound and pair up synergy with a stock cable and your preferred source. Then, go from there :)

Haha! Good to hear the spc is getting some love too. I just love experimenting and having everything ready to try. Waiting 5-6 weeks gets you thinking crazy things I guess :)

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,506 of 4,182
I thought I might take some time to more clearly compare the Effect Audio Ares ll and Ares ll+ cables, as someone asked for a more direct comparison. Please keep in mind that this comparison is based on using the cables with an Astell&Ultima SP1000SS and a Zeus XR set to X. Also, the ll is a single-ended 3.5 and the ll+ is a balanced 2.5. I listen to 60’s and 70’s rock, for the most part, so factor that in as well.

The Ares ll is very transparent. It’s possible to hear where all instruments/voices are in the soundstage at all times, and they never seem to be over or under each other as you listen. Everything is distinct. Even though the Ares ll is copper, it has quite a bit of detail, especially in the upper end, which is really well-presented by the Zeus. Everything is clear, with no sibilance or flaring. Mids and upper mids are very clear, especially with acoustic guitars. You can hear all of the strings being strummed, and also hear the squeaking of flesh across fret boards. The upper bass is strong and clean, and individual notes are easy to pick out. Lower bass is quite apparent when the source music has it, but is fairly absent when not there. Sub-bass can be heard when presented, but it’s not going to shake you out of your chair. You won’t hear the “thump” physically, the way some bass-centric IEMs present bass. The word I would use for the Ares ll is “neutral.” While not reference, it seems to present all frequencies with equal clarity. Sound stage is quite wide (I hear it at the “rear” of my ears), but it certainly doesn’t wrap all the way around me. I find the cable sound signature bright and lively, very analytical, crisp and clean. The cable itself is rather thin (when compared to the ll+) but quite beautiful. Ergonomically, it’s a joy. I walk with it with no problems.

I bought the Ares ll+ hoping to gain a bit more lower end and timbre. Well, it does that in spades. There is now a bass floor present in the music pretty much all of the time. It doesn’t rumble like bass-centric IEMs do, but the bass is there! Always. It adds timbre across bass and mids (and to a degree, upper mids as well). When I first plugged it in, I had to turn down the volume of my Astell from 60 to 50, as it is perceptually louder. The sound stage is very slightly less wide. Upper end still comes across the way is does with the ll, but everything below it is fuller. Instead of being transparent, the music now is more solid. Everything being played can still be heard, but the sense of lightness and, to a degree, air is replaced with a thicker wave of music. I would describe it as darker and warmer in comparison with the ll. Some folks here use the terms “smooth” and “musical,” and that seems to be what is happening here. I could make the poor simile that the ll is like floating in air, and the ll+ is like floating in water. The cable is considerably thicker, a bit darker in color, and somewhat stiffer than the ll. However, when walking with it there were no problems with cable noise. It’s just a heavier, more robust cable.

While I like the ll+, I found that it took away what, to me, was so special about the Zeus/Astell combo. I realize that to others it might be exactly what they are looking for. We all seem to have different ideas of the “right sound,” which is of course what makes this hobby so much fun, so aggravating and so expensive. I hope this mini-review helps others who are perhaps looking to buy one of these cables.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #1,507 of 4,182
My review of the PW Audio No.5 Cable:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/pw-audio-no-5-iem-cable.22703/reviews#review-19839

IMG_4755.jpg

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,508 of 4,182
Currently I use the exo series silver plated copper from Plussound with a 2.5mm balanced plug. I'd like to use it on a 3.5 mm output aswell. Would an adapter reduce the soundquality of the cable and which adapter would be good for my needs?

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,509 of 4,182
Currently I use the exo series silver plated copper from Plussound with a 2.5mm balanced plug. I'd like to use it on a 3.5 mm output aswell. Would an adapter reduce the soundquality of the cable and which adapter would be good for my needs?
The best option is the shortest possible adapter. If you stay with PlusSound you can go for something like the 'Micro Series Termination Adapter' listed here:
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/interconnect.html
In the customisation options it can be made to pair optimally with your silver plated copper. It should minimise any effect on sound quality (which I believe to be minimal with such a short adapter to begin with). Of course there is a difference between balanced and SE out, but that has nothing to do with the adapter.

Feb 7, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,510 of 4,182
Hi, I have just posted a review comparing two flagship cables from Mad Cable, a relatively new cable maker from Hong Kong. Dan has posted an excellent review on the Re-MSG (hybrid of 4x gold plated copper and 4x silver). I agree totally with Dan's review and thought it would be useful if I compare the Re-MSG with the Re-Mirror (hybrid of 4x gold plated silver and 4x silver). I feel both are amazing cables at their price point. Please let me know if you want to know more about them.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/19841/

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,511 of 4,182
Hey guys,

At first, sorry, my english is not the best!

I am new here and i‘ve got an important question.
Yesterday i bought my first high quality headphones. The Fostex TH-610.

But I want to connect them more easily to my iPhone 7 Plus. The original cable is way to long and has a 1/4 jack. (At the moment i use the original cable, an adapter from 1/4 to 1/8 jack and the 1/8 to lightning jack. Thats too much of cable and connectors and adapters and hassle for mobile use.

I found a suitable cable which i can use at Lawton Audio, but, to be honest, its a little too expensive for me (275 dollar incl. delivery).
I dont want the best high quality product on the market, i just want a cable which will fit at the one side of my Fostex, just 1,5 oder 2,0 Meters long with a 1/8 jack.

I searched a long time, but i didnt found anything. I read that the sennheiser 650 cable could fit, but the diameters of the pins is slightly different and i dont want to crush the connectors.

Please, i need a good advice to buy a good cable!:)

Best wishes from germany ! :)

Fabian

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,512 of 4,182
Copied from the PlusSound thread, but I felt it would be well worth sharing here as well.

Yesterday I got in the Exo Silver + Gold with new PS Insulation and I am very impressed by the improvement in the ergonomics, it is an amazingly supple cable! Early days on the sound, but initial impressions are very good: A wonderfully bright and clear sound without any signs of harshness or peakiness in the treble and a very tight and impactful bass.

PlusSound_Exo.JPG

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #1,513 of 4,182
Copied from the PlusSound thread, but I felt it would be well worth sharing here as well.

Yesterday I got in the Exo Silver + Gold with new PS Insulation and I am very impressed by the improvement in the ergonomics, it is an amazingly supple cable! Early days on the sound, but initial impressions are very good: A wonderfully bright and clear sound without any signs of harshness or peakiness in the treble and a very tight and impactful bass.

Awesome, man! I got a very similar-looking cable from PlusSound a few weeks ago, but I didn't really know what metals were in it. Considering the fact that my sound impressions match yours exactly, I'm gonna gamble that we have the same product. I'll be reviewing this right after the FIBAE 3 review comes out, so stay tuned. :wink:

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #1,514 of 4,182
Hey guys,

At first, sorry, my english is not the best!

I am new here and i‘ve got an important question.
Yesterday i bought my first high quality headphones. The Fostex TH-610.

But I want to connect them more easily to my iPhone 7 Plus. The original cable is way to long and has a 1/4 jack. (At the moment i use the original cable, an adapter from 1/4 to 1/8 jack and the 1/8 to lightning jack. Thats too much of cable and connectors and adapters and hassle for mobile use.

I found a suitable cable which i can use at Lawton Audio, but, to be honest, its a little too expensive for me (275 dollar incl. delivery).
I dont want the best high quality product on the market, i just want a cable which will fit at the one side of my Fostex, just 1,5 oder 2,0 Meters long with a 1/8 jack.

I searched a long time, but i didnt found anything. I read that the sennheiser 650 cable could fit, but the diameters of the pins is slightly different and i dont want to crush the connectors.

Please, i need a good advice to buy a good cable!:)

Best wishes from germany ! :)

Fabian
Hi Fabian,

I just saw your post and thought that you might try your luck with Forza AudioWorks (Poland) or Toxic Cables (UK) as they're both excellent cable makers, located in EU (which should avoid any hassle with import taxes for you)
https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36 + https://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/

You can also contact them on HF. Both Frank (@Toxic Cables) and Matthew (@Matez) are great guys to communicate/deal (speaking out of experience here) with imo.

Good luck!

Now that's a wonderful looking cable! Just curious: is it a loaner or a keeper?
Based on your initial signature desciption, I think it might (also) be a great match for warmer tuned iems :thinking:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,515 of 4,182
Awesome, man! I got a very similar-looking cable from PlusSound a few weeks ago, but I didn't really know what metals were in it. Considering the fact that my sound impressions match yours exactly, I'm gonna gamble that we have the same product. I'll be reviewing this right after the FIBAE 3 review comes out, so stay tuned. :wink:
That's great! How do you like the ergonomics? I arranged a loaner PlusSound Exo Copper with the previous insulation for comparison and the difference is very noticeable!
Now that's a wonderful looking cable! Just curious: is it a loaner or a keeper?
Based on your initial signature desciption, I think it might (also) be a great match for warmer tuned iems :thinking:
I got this cable as a review sample, so it will stay in my review collection for later comparisons. After the review I can of course also send it over to friends if they want to try it out for themselves. :wink:

PlusSound specifically states that it pairs well with warmer IEMs and that does indeed seem to be the case with my Ei.3, but I am also very curious about pairing it with the Saturn, which I will get back in a little while. I will also try out various other pairings, as I should have a few more IEMs coming in soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back