High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jun 1, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #826 of 4,183
First time I've heard there is such a 'cable aficionado' :D I initially imagined some guy with a collection of cables stored and displayed in his basement- ranging from common to exotic materials -which he so regularly visit and view while sipping on a glass of fancy wine; appreciating the beauty of its texture, colour, braiding, and bare-nakedness of the wires. Nice write Nic, writing cables as I understand requires a lot of time. More so with entry level ones, which have less perceptible differences to note. A great effort on your behalf, to write these mini-series. (edit: JK part)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #827 of 4,183
First time I've heard there is such a 'cable aficionado' :D I initially imagined some guy with a collection of cables stored and displayed in his basement - ranging from common to exotic materials - which he so regularly visit and view while sipping on a glass of fancy wine. Nice write Nic, writing cables as I understand requires a lot of time. More so with entry level ones, which have less noticeable differences to note. What a great effort on your behalf, to write these mini-series. Thank you for showing us the truth, allowing us to realize and be converted.
Thanks for the kind words buddy. Ares II was a little bit easier to write, since I've had it for quite a while since it's the stock cable of Samba which I reviewed last year.

But I wouldn't say it's my mission to convert people hehe, I'm just doing my thing and hope the non-believers leave me alone as much as possible.

@flinkenick have you tried the Atlas Zeno cable?
Hey man, sorry never heard of Atlas. It also seems to be a HP cable, and I'm a 100% iem guy.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #828 of 4,183
Thanks for the kind words buddy. Ares II was a little bit easier to write, since I've had it for quite a while since it's the stock cable of Samba which I reviewed last year.

But I wouldn't say it's my mission to convert people hehe, I'm just doing my thing and hope the non-believers leave me alone as much as possible.

Hey man, sorry never heard of Atlas. It also seems to be a HP cable, and I'm a 100% iem guy.

http://www.atlascables.com/hp-zeno-iem.html

I have just got one in, retails at £305 roughly...

I'll update with impressions at some point (from my personal account).

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #830 of 4,183
Hello everybody, I'm going to do a mini-series of 3 affordable copper cables; the Han Audio Zen, PW Audio no 5, and now up first, the Effect Audio Ares II.

http://theheadphonelist.com/the-effect-audio-ares-ii/

At the CustomArt thread, this is one of the top choices for pairing with the Harmony 8.2. A dark IEM paired with a copper cable confused me at first, but after reading your review it makes sense. More transparency and air is exactly what would improve the 8.2. Thanks Nic.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #831 of 4,183
Hello everybody, I'm going to do a mini-series of 3 affordable copper cables; the Han Audio Zen, PW Audio no 5, and now up first, the Effect Audio Ares II.

How do you find the time for all those reviews besides your shootout? Maybe you can lend me some of your time? :wink:
Or even a better idea: You could write a book called "The Audiophile's Guide To The Galaxy" before finishing your PhD! Then all the new headfi memebers would have to read it before they would be able to subscribe to an IEM thread hehe

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #833 of 4,183
At the CustomArt thread, this is one of the top choices for pairing with the Harmony 8.2. A dark IEM paired with a copper cable confused me at first, but after reading your review it makes sense. More transparency and air is exactly what would improve the 8.2. Thanks Nic.
To be honest I've never tested the combo, but it does makes a lot of sense! You're welcome buddy.

How do you find the time for all those reviews besides your shootout? Maybe you can lend me some of your time? :wink:
Or even a better idea: You could write a book called "The Audiophile's Guide To The Galaxy" before finishing your PhD! Then all the new headfi memebers would have to read it before they would be able to subscribe to an IEM thread hehe
Well to be honest I'm not a super productive person. I procrastinate a lot.. sometimes by writing iem reviews hehe. I wrote Ares II and Han Audio Zen last month when I was on vacation.

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #834 of 4,183
In a spirit of cable reviews, here one I posted last night of iBasso CB12 and CB13 8-core hybrid cables:

https://twister6.com/2017/05/31/ibasso-cb12-and-cb13-premium-cables/

ibasso_amp2_cb13-21.jpg

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #835 of 4,183

Looking forward to it. I have all three...but my Zen is a 8-wire config. For some reason (likely due to mathching) I'm liking my Ares II a bit more but they are all very nice, affordable wires. Time to give all three a back-to-back comparison again

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #836 of 4,183
I had the same thoughts and the review @flinkenick wrote really helped to understand why the Ares II combines well with the 8.2, but also the Ei.3. I am certainly tempted to give the Ares II a go at some point, although I also wonder how the Eros Hybrid and even the Thor Silver might combine. My current cable gives the Ei.3 a slightly bigger stage and while I understand it smooths treble even more, I find the result quite nice because the added stage helps create the perception of a bit more sparkle.

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #837 of 4,183
Great taste in music, only seen Architects at their album launch gig in brighton last year, signed vinyl:

DA_EG06WAAA8bEm.jpg:large

Wow, that's sick! AOGHAU is their best work yet. RIP Tom.

The problem with AOGHAU, at least for me, is the thick "atmosphere" that runs in every track. That's where I have a tendency to EQ the bass and lower mids down in order to hear the layering better. I have learnt to get over it though, since that's probably how Architects want them to sound like.

Jun 1, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #839 of 4,183
VE8 & Opus2 01.jpg

plusSound thought I'd like to review their just-released, new and updated Gold-Plated Copper Litz. And since I gave those clever craftsmen such a hard time with their heavy X6, they decided I'd be happy with the 2-conductor X-Series.

I'll have this review up before the end of the month.

I do quite like the ergonomics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back