High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Mar 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #527 of 4,182
Hi sorry for the intrusion but had any one tried a brand called ranko acustics? i just bought a "silver" 8n from ebay at 180 aus

seems a bit cheep

thanks

Ranko acoustics do make DIY parts like headphone jacks and are even used in tralucent audio cables... so I guess that can provide some credibility.

I have no idea whether they make cables or not.

Although, I do know of some DIYers in my local audio scene that can make cheap silver cables too ( around 180~ sgd/aud )

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #529 of 4,182
When I see hybrid cables, I always wonder what does that means? Let say if silver has better conductivity than copper, then in a hybrid condition, will the electrons traveling on the silver portion of the cable goes faster than the copper portion? Will that create a coherence problem? And when we talk about metal's conductivity, what are we talking about? Does conductivity mean the speed the electron is traveling? Or the fullness of the bandwidth? Or certain bandwidth and that is why copper does better with low frequency and silver with high frequency? I have just purchased the Final Audio Design's Lab 2 and the stock cable that comes with the phone claims to be almost as fast as 90 percent of the speed of light and that it is used in supercomputer etc. So is as far as cable is concern, is the speed the only factor? Or does other factors are at play also, if so, what are the other factors? I am talking headphone cables and not power cables and under 5-6 feet. Also, for SPC, and since signal travels on the surface of the conductor, does it matter what silver is plated over? Like to hear some opinions from cable design people.

The "90% speed of light" claim, I think, refers to the speed of the electromagnetic field or the electrical signal. As for the velocity of the electrons, the only velocity of the electron, that applies for this situation is the Drift Velocity. A free electron in vacuum can be accelerated to very high speeds, but that doesn't apply here.

The value of drift velocity of electrons in a conductor, is several orders smaller than the value of the speed of light. Although the drift velocity can have a direct relationship with the speed of electrical signal, it is not a direct measure of the speed of the electrical signal flowing through the conductor. Meaning, Drift Velocity of Electron in a Particular Cable <> Velocity of the Electrical Signal in the cable.

So the 90% speed of light doesn't say much, unless described relative to the speed of the electrical signal, traveling in a regular IEM upgrade cable. For all you know, these regular upgrade cables might be conducting the electrical signal at, 89% or even 94% the speed of light. An electrical signal can travel at a speed closer to light's speed in a very-high-gauge ultra pure copper cable.

Conductivity is simply, the number of electrons flowing through the cross section of a conductor, at a given point of time, when a potential difference is applied across the 2 ends. Greater the number of electrons flowing through the conductor for a given potential difference, means the cable is a better conductor. As far as my understanding goes, this is the basis, from which the cable manufacturers work on, to improve cable's performance in the Headphone/IEM cable world and, not the speed of the signal itself, (although, both can be directly relative).

I know you have mentioned about signal traveling on the surface. But I won't talk about that as I am not familiar on that subject. But my text above is simply to say that, IMO, the speed may not have much to do, than the conductivity itself.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #530 of 4,182
@EagleWings, thanks for the thoughts. It seems like conductivity matter as they keep referring back to the metal chart.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #531 of 4,182
Introducing OC Studio: 
I consider myself a cable skeptic however one with an open mind and as a result of my quest into cable I have stumbled upon a cable maker whose name I heard a few years ago but I forgot for some reason. Lately I have been obsessed in finding the best MMCX available in market and all result indicated ATL to be that and only one cable maker utilized it: OC Studio. As a result I decided to continue my quest by testing their best copper and silver cable albeit this is not his flagship. After placing my order, which was straight forward I waited for my order to be made. I had a number of a very positive discussion with the owner of the company during the waiting period ranging from how he started this hobby to complaining about high  cable cost and his testing mechanism I was confident about my purchase. I paid a total of 15000 Taiwan Dollar which roughly coverts to 642 AUD(please note this was a promotional deal and the normal price is 16247) . This includes 8 core, best mmcx which sale for 62 AUD a pair (times that by two), EMS express shipping and a 2.5 mm to 4.4 mm adapter that not in the picture. Considering how some brand just charge that for a copper cable the price is well reasonable but I guess all this will matter once I get to learn more about the sound.

I just got the cabe, I need to spend more time with it to get used to various sound. I will be testing it with my HUM Pristine which is my reference as it response well with cable and I also use T8iE as I find its bass alters from cable to cable. 

From pictures it can be seen built is top notch, accessories is best I've seen and basically if any other brand was to make this they would ask for two to three times of what they are charging. 

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OriginalCableStudio/

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

As there is no thread about this company I thought I post here unless there is interest for me to make an impression thread for it which in that case I will gladly do so.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #532 of 4,182
How do you buy from them?

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #537 of 4,182
sharing some pictures from canjam sg :)

sorry for the potato camera :p

(that brimar gold cable, fourth, costs $4-5k. a friend of a friend of mine bought it cash on the table. he let me try afterwards. and it was simply stunning. on par if not better than labkable titan, $2,5k)

if anyone interested in buying a labkable, could contact me. i've spoken with the owner/founder, and he's willing to ease me a good price (but only for a week)

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #540 of 4,182
  ranfan : Is that brimar cable a new model? If yes, Does it just on par with labkable titan (cheaper price tag)?

in terms of value. it is simply not. titan is twice better. but if you really want to look for value, then takumi or samurai would be recommendable. in terms of sound quality, the brimar gold cable wins, simply because of their higher purity. the highly pure sound that the brimar cable has, creates this realistic sound. the guy who bought it said, "it makes the music alive." that is also why he bought. i like the titan better, it is not as heavy and sounds extremely good already (obviously, given the 2,5k usd price). very clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back