High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.

Tags:
  1. ezekiel77
    A bit off-topic, but here's a headphone cable built by one of the best, Peterek. 8-wire SPC/copper with Eidolic connectors and plug. Looks stunning!

He builds IEM cables too, so do pm him if you're interested. He charges very reasonably.

IMG_20171207_163618.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Omega139
    Does anyone know how the Whiplash Twau V2, Twau V2Cu hybrid, and Twau V2 gold plated silver would compare? Also, how much of an improvement is the 12 conductor vs the 8 conductor?

3. Whazzzup
    As much as 4 to 8, which depending on the build composition, is marginal. But that’s what we strive for at this level.

4. Omega139
    hmm..so would the extra price for the 12 conductor for the whiplash audio cable I choose be justified?

5. Whazzzup
    Nothing in this hobby can be justified just recommended preference. The other issue is postpurchase dissonance, can you live with not knowing what the difference could have been. Technically folks are mixed with advantages of more braid, but better cables can be better than others all things controlled for. I use 8 braid dhc for iem that seemed sufficient but never listened to a 12.

kubig123 likes this.
  6. Omega139
    Would anyone know the difference between the twau v2 , v2 hybrid, and gold plated silver ?

7. kubig123
    I would choose a 12 wire cable only if you go with the Twag V3, since the wires are very thin (30awg), while the Twag + Twcu hybrid cable is thicker (24.5awg) and the 12 wire combination would result to be quite heavy and not very flexible.
    As a first cable don't choose anything too extreme.

8. Omega139
    T
    thank you, would you happen to know how the v2 hybrid sounds compared to the gold plated silver ?

9. kubig123
    no, I never tried the hybrid cable, check with Craig, nobody knows his cable better than him....

10. Whazzzup
    Gold is not a preferred compound in cables pure silver litz would be my first choice then copper

11. tim0chan
    Not true. It may reduce conductivity but that is not the be all and end all of cable rolling. The effect audio horus has gold plated silver wires and it sounds out of this world. Its just a method of tuning sound

12. Whazzzup
    conductivity/resistance are a primary concern for cable composition, never mind say type 6 litz versus a solid cable.....there are companies using nickel plated silver as well.. i wouldn't purchase a plated anything never mind gold, thats just me.

13. Omega139
    Hmm. How about a comparison between just the twau v2 gold plated silver and a twag v3 hybrid

14. tim0chan
    There still is the plussound silver gold, rhapsodio 2.98 sipver gold and of course the silver widow from toxic

15. Whazzzup
    My comment is philosophical in nature based on reference from a premier cable builder but not from any empirical evidence myself. However I have replaced several manufacturer stock plated cables but not with plated custom cables....