High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 17, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #3,031 of 4,183
I think it has to do with the jacket on the cables. The shielding prevents electron hopping between individual strands of copper, and prevents noise and interference. On full size speakers to my ears solid copper wires sound the best, can't have solid wires on an iem, they need to be flexible, so you need really good shielding, even between individual strands.
Should these cables be as expensive as they are? No. But they do make a substantial difference when it comes to sound.
Cardas wires has a PVC resin like coating on their cables, and I believe that is what PW Audio is using. Every single strand of OCC Copper is shielded
Yea but do you feel like your wire is really worth more than your dx229? At more than double the cost it seems a bit ridiculous. I haven't tried the 1950 cable hopefully one day I will but no matter what I feel like there cheating there customers .Even if every wire is shielded would that really make it cost 25000 ?? I mean it's just copper ( obviously a good one )

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #3,032 of 4,183
Yea but do you feel like your wire is really worth more than your dx229? At more than double the cost it seems a bit ridiculous. I haven't tried the 1950 cable hopefully one day I will but no matter what I feel like there cheating there customers .Even if every wire is shielded would that really make it cost 25000 ?? I mean it's just copper ( obviously a good one )
I think they are using cardas wire, where every individual strand is coated in a PVC resin, and then there is other shielding on top of that. I have the 2 wire 1960s, it retails for $1100.
To be completely honest, it sounds better and clearer than any other copper cable I have ever heard, and highs are extended like on a silver cable. Tonality is spot on.
How much does that PVC coating cost? Probably next to nothing. Should they be charging $1100 for a 4 ft cable? No.
But compared to other cables that go for 300-500 dollars, is it a sizable step up? Yes.
If I bought wires from cardas, and knew someone who could build a cable like PW audio (for cheaper), I would jump on that in a heartbeat, but as it stands, this is the best copper cable on the market.
That market says $1100, or in the case of a 1950s $2500, people pay it.
The difference is audible, and substantial, the price is "very" debatable.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #3,033 of 4,183
I think they are using cardas wire, where every individual strand is coated in a PVC resin, and then there is other shielding on top of that. I have the 2 wire 1960s, it retails for $1100.
To be completely honest, it sounds better and clearer than any other copper cable I have ever heard, and highs are extended like on a silver cable. Tonality is spot on.
How much does that PVC coating cost? Probably next to nothing. Should they be charging $1100 for a 4 ft cable? No.
But compared to other cables that go for 300-500 dollars, is it a sizable step up? Yes.
If I bought wires from cardas, and knew someone who could build a cable like PW audio (for cheaper), I would jump on that in a heartbeat, but as it stands, this is the best copper cable on the market.
That market says $1100, or in the case of a 1950s $2500, people pay it.
The difference is audible, and substantial, the price is "very" debatable.
You are correct about the wires on 1960 and 1950, they both used cardas wires, if you can get the wires let me know, I'm very interest in buying some for diy cables

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #3,038 of 4,183
A good friend of mine able to rather some cardas wires and create 1950 cable, sound the same but look way better than pw audio
upload_2019-6-7_10-1-3.jpeg

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #3,040 of 4,183
A good friend of mine able to rather some cardas wires and create 1950 cable, sound the same but look way better than pw audio

Damn...... thats some good stuff.

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #3,041 of 4,183
just a question with regards to silver purity. I'm finding multiple sources that say most silver we can get is 4N level purity and that 5N and above are impractical and ridiculously expensive. But then some sources say 4N is not a very high purity.

Also, side question, what's the theory behind gold plated silver? Is it more or less conductive than pure silver? I assume less

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #3,042 of 4,183
Jul 19, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #3,045 of 4,183
For me it is a newbie in this thread since I find it interesting and I only use the Effect Audio and Triton Audio Cables and Toxic Cables before. Try to find other varieties. :wink:
In that case, you might be interested in the Kimera. This combo just blows my mind; I can't stop listening!

DSC_2494_result.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back