High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
May 12, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,831 of 4,183
There are no good silver cables in your price range. Go for a copper cable from a well known brand(effect audio, plussound)
I did it! He told me silver. I will try to find a good one

well , it happens that i am selling a totl silver cable (originally priced at 530$) for almost half price , mint/like 5 hours of use

see my sig/pm me

May 19, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #1,835 of 4,183
I'd like to share my thoughts on the Penon OS849. I only have a SE Ares II currently (waiting on 4.4 like everyone else) for reference. I had to use a Ibasso CA01 adapter on the OS849 to compare against the Ares II on Amp 5, so this comparison wasn't controlled. Can't tell you how the CA01 affected my findings. Once my 4.4 Ares II arrives and I've put 100 hours on it I'll revisit this with Amp4s, but for now here's my thoughts.

I'll preface this by saying I'm partial to silver cables and only use copper when silver fails (ie: add bass and warmth) such as a Cardas Clear on my HD800 and Cardas Clear Reflection interconnect between phonostage/headamp for HD800

Bass - Ares II has a more pronounced sub-bass and mid-bass, being rounder as well as more punchy while OS849 is more neutral, tighter, resolved and textured. I find the Ares II bass overcooked in my setup, sounding a little boomy to me

Mids - Lower mids are thicker on Ares II, subtley masking detail and giving a chestiness to vocals compared to OS849. Upper mids are slightly more recessed on Ares II where on OS849 they are right inline with lower mids and lower treble. OS849 easily more resolved.

Treble - Now keep in mind this is with Phantoms. Lower treble sounds recessed compared OS849. On an iem with more pronounced treble OS849 may sound slightly bright? Purely speculation though. With this lower treble lift OS849 offers increased articulation. Upper treble is similar for both but going above that OS849 has the better sense of air.

Soundstage (size only) - OS849 is more circular while Ares II is shallower. I found that hard panned instruments had more freedom in the stage on OS849 while Ares II kept them more locked down in your ear. OS849 manages to push everything a little more forward as well with it's extra depth dose. Less between your ears and more between your temples.

Imaging/Layering/Separation - OS849 presented a more cohesive image with it being very easy to wrap your head around so to speak. OS849 also presented a sharper image, being better etched out of space. Thicker sound of Ares II is the culprit I'm thinking? Ares II was unsure of itself comparatively, being less precise in it's placement as well as rarely filling up it's soundstage width proportionality (think almost "holes" in it). It was almost like an exaggerated sense of separation and layering but I'd chalk it up to being less precise. All this added up to the Ares II being a difficult cable for me just sit back, relax and enjoy the performance on a whole with. While I know some will enjoy this "sporadic" type of imagery and layering the Ares II provides, I find it's more the kind of thing that impresses non-audiophiles and the super high lol. (EDIT - just had another listen, it's not that bad but I'm sticking to my claims) Compared to OS849 I found this "hit and miss" imagery to be distracting from the performance and greatly preferred the united OS849, as a live performance would sound.

Transparency/Openess - OS849 sounds a great deal more open and transparent! It's definitely one of those "open a window" type of metaphors you've read before. At first I thought there must be a reason for this ie: Ares II wasn't used for a week, tips, connection, I was looking for anything to explain such a drastic difference but there was nothing to it, the OS849 is a clear window outside where the Ares II (no exaggeration) has the bug screen to deal with. Maybe it's playing it safe? Bugs suck right? Either way the Ares II sounded congested and I wouldn't say only in comparison to OS849. I find it's too thick, slightly muddy and slow in bass and mids (remember I'm not a copper guy so ymmv) but due to it's elevated treble for a copper cable, it's probably one of the better buys considering cost/performance.

The take away from this should be that the first thing you notice when switching between the two is that the OS849 sounds clearer, much more open and transparent and with a higher degree of resolution - but not largely so. Maybe this is closer to what the Eros II sounds like? Only reason I could see purchasing Ares II over OS849 is if you want 4.4mm (could always diy or have someone re-terminate though), to pair with an overly thin sounding iem/dac/amp combo or if you're a bass first, at all costs kinda fellow.

Let's also keep in mind this cable costs only $130USD. I'd have to go back nearly 10 years to find a cable even under $500 in my system. Sooo not bragging, just attempting to make the point here that I didn't expect much from the Penon OS849, but I'd be lying if @twister6 didn't have me curious. Clearly I'm impressed but it's their asking price that has me laughing. Who's the next company to follow suit

May 20, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #1,836 of 4,183
@natemact Glad to see you enjoying the OS849 cable.

Here is my review on the GS849! Enjoy reading! :beyersmile:
Head-Fi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-gs849.23111/reviews#review-20334
Website: https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/penon-gs849/

xelento&gs849.jpg

May 21, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,837 of 4,183
Interesting impressions on the OS849... w/ Andro I personally felt it's much worse than both the stock Litz and my Ref 8, sounds kind of congested and recessed across the board, maybe it just doesn't work well in my setup. Plus the cable smells weird.
FYI I'm selling it for $80 shipped if anyone is interested.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-penon-os849-mmcx-3-5mm.875384/

I've been having trouble finding an upgrade to Ref 8 that sounds as open/resolving. Ref 8 sound is perfect except the microphonics is annoying.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #1,839 of 4,183
Was wondering if there were any reviews of the Han Sound Venom yet and whether it would pair well with the Phantom. :thinking:

May 22, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #1,840 of 4,183
Was wondering if there were any reviews of the Han Sound Venom yet and whether it would pair well with the Phantom. :thinking:

I tried the Venom once several months ago and it was very impressive. Separation and layering was simply the best I've ever heard out of any cable and it did so without messing with tonal balance. It has a neutral tone with a slightly dark tilt due to a linear upper-treble, but the notes it produces are absolutely precise and clean, so this darkness does not translate to congestion or bloom. It has a natural yet snappy quality to it and it paired wonderfully with the Zeus-XR. I tried a new revised version just before CanJam SG and I was honestly less impressed. It sounded more fun and somewhat V-shaped, and it compromised some of its class-leading separation as a result. At that point, I was far too impressed by the PWAudio 1950s to give it a further listen, but I probably wouldn't pair it with the Phantom. Ergonomics are also an absolute pain if you plan to use it outdoors. It's definitely a for home use kind of cable.

May 22, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #1,841 of 4,183
I tried the Venom once several months ago and it was very impressive. Separation and layering was simply the best I've ever heard out of any cable and it did so without messing with tonal balance. It has a neutral tone with a slightly dark tilt due to a linear upper-treble, but the notes it produces are absolutely precise and clean, so this darkness does not translate to congestion or bloom. It has a natural yet snappy quality to it and it paired wonderfully with the Zeus-XR. I tried a new revised version just before CanJam SG and I was honestly less impressed. It sounded more fun and somewhat V-shaped, and it compromised some of its class-leading separation as a result. At that point, I was far too impressed by the PWAudio 1950s to give it a further listen, but I probably wouldn't pair it with the Phantom. Ergonomics are also an absolute pain if you plan to use it outdoors. It's definitely a for home use kind of cable.
Thanks, I guess its either the Leonidas or the Janus (once I get to try them again) for the Phantom...by the way have you tried the Mars 4+Leonidas 4?

May 22, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,842 of 4,183
Thanks, I guess its either the Leonidas or the Janus (once I get to try them again) for the Phantom...by the way have you tried the Mars 4+Leonidas 4?

No, but that will change not too long from now. :wink:

May 22, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #1,844 of 4,183
I was thinking Leonidas for my Phantom too but the Norne Silvergarde has really got my attention. @SeeSax preferred it to his Leo on his LX and @ezekiel77 mentioned to me he's really enjoying his. Worth a consideration maybe?

May 22, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #1,845 of 4,183
I was thinking Leonidas for my Phantom too but the Norne Silvergarde has really got my attention. @SeeSax preferred it to his Leo on his LX and @ezekiel77 mentioned to me he's really enjoying his. Worth a consideration maybe?

The Silvergarde is also something I'm extremely curious about. The ergonomics may leave something to be desired, but it looks like one heck of a silver cable. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back