High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Mar 16, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #1,696 of 4,183
oh, I didn't know custom art made universals
I had my Ei.3 CIEMs reshelled to universals and Piotr did a great job on the universal shells. I have compared them in the past to Shure, just a tiny bit bigger than the se215 and (I think) a better ergonomic shape. No regrets about going that route.

I am not sure why Piotr doesn't advertise them, but they are great with all the custom design options you get with CIEMs. I spoke to my audiologist (Gisele 'Audiologist to the Musicians' Flower, UK distributor for Custom Art) about it and she too felt the universals should be offered more clearly.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,698 of 4,183
~IEM Cables news summary~

- Effect Audio revealed a new cable called "Janus" with 2 variants; DYNAMIC and BASSO. Based on pictures, both use the same cable and the same plug. I guess the reason they sound different would be caused by soldering wire.
- Plussound released a new cable called "Tri-Copper" today. Link
- Cross Lambda Audio release a pure copper plug lineup (3.5 mm., 2.5 mm. and 4.4 mm.). This is not new in the world cause Wagnus is the first one who utilize a pure copper plug on their cables, but Wagnus has only 3.5 and 2.5 mm. type. Link

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,699 of 4,183
Ok the question is which one will you get? @chaiyuta

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,700 of 4,183
I had my Ei.3 CIEMs reshelled to universals and Piotr did a great job on the universal shells. I have compared them in the past to Shure, just a tiny bit bigger than the se215 and (I think) a better ergonomic shape. No regrets about going that route.

I am not sure why Piotr doesn't advertise them, but they are great with all the custom design options you get with CIEMs. I spoke to my audiologist (Gisele 'Audiologist to the Musicians' Flower, UK distributor for Custom Art) about it and she too felt the universals should be offered more clearly.
ooo, I just had an interesting idea. one of the saddest things about customs imo is that when someone asks you if they can try them, you have to explain that they're custom molded to your ear and your friend can't try them unless they go to a store with demo units. if I were to send him my ear molds and ask him to make a universal earphone that would fit within the mold, thereby maximizing my own comfort, then I could share the sound with all my friends who ask! yay!

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,702 of 4,183
oh no I was gonna get an 8 wire effect audio lionheart.... now I'm torn.... someone pls tell me the tri-copper is less suitable for my specific use case scenario situation
It's almost the same in terms of composition with Lionheart having spc and gpc. If u have the chance try them pls do, cos I think they may sound pretty similar

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,703 of 4,183
@artpiggo : Not ready for getting anything yet lol. Though I will consider to use a 4.4 mm. pure copper plug on DIY earbuds purpose first at some time in the future.
@pithyginger63 : Take it easy. I understand your feeling lol. Tri-Copper is made of pure copper, silver-plated copper and gold plated copper. Its price positioning is a bit less than their flagship, Gold Plated Silver.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #1,704 of 4,183
ooo, I just had an interesting idea. one of the saddest things about customs imo is that when someone asks you if they can try them, you have to explain that they're custom molded to your ear and your friend can't try them unless they go to a store with demo units. if I were to send him my ear molds and ask him to make a universal earphone that would fit within the mold, thereby maximizing my own comfort, then I could share the sound with all my friends who ask! yay!
Not sure if that would be possible. Would be cool, but the universal Custom Art are a standard shell shape and I believe that these days they are 3D printed.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,705 of 4,183
World First 3-in-1 Copper Cable with 3 Copper Variants - Copper, Silver Plated Copper & Gold Plated Copper from Plussound!

https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/03/16/plussound-exo-tri-copper/

Enjoy! :)

photo_2018-03-06_23-14-58-2.jpg photo_2018-03-06_23-07-48.jpg photo_2018-03-06_23-14-58.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,707 of 4,183
i cant tell through the pictures that well because my screen sucks. would you say the cable looks more coppery, silvery, or goldy?
coppery & silvery! :beyersmile:

28827528_1824423064268653_929896379998135711_o.jpg

(Picture taken from Plussound Facebook Page!)

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,709 of 4,183
ooo, hello @piotrus-g, seeing as you are online viewing this thread, i wanted to ask a particular question (im not sure if youve answered it before). where/how did you learn to make iems? I find it fascinating and quite interesting
Haha! I've been pinged by @audio123 to this thread :p
I learned it mostly by myself. There's a thread here on head-fi called Home Made IEMs - it's nearly 500pages full of discussion on how to build IEMs - I started posting there before page 20 :D it's great resource knowledge now. Other than that, lots of passion for IEMs, trying out crazy or out-of-the-box ideas etc.

To answer the question re universals - we are just not quite ready to go into large scale production of universal fit IEMs, we have a pilot program in place right now for two markets but other than that you can order universal on special request with same customization options as cIEMs.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,710 of 4,183
To answer the question re universals - we are just not quite ready to go into large scale production of universal fit IEMs, we have a pilot program in place right now for two markets but other than that you can order universal on special request with same customization options as cIEMs.
Thanks for sharing that Piotr! I had been wondering about it. I hope the pilot program will go well and that it can become a viable option in the future. Still enjoy my Ei.3 (listening to them as I write this), so comfortable. All the best for the pilot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back