High end headphones for immersive gaming?
May 10, 2020 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

duranxv

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser 598CS to a high end closed back headphone for immersive gaming. I'm not competitive, so I don't need super pinpoint accuracy for footsteps in FPS games. I'm looking for headphones where you really can take it all in, have rich delicate detail, but feel the rumble of earthquakes, the power of explosions, and the impact of gunshots. I know that sounded overly poetic.

After a lot of reading and watching videos, I've narrowed it down to a few candidates:
  1. ZMF Eikon
  2. Denon AH-D9200
  3. Fostex TH900 Mk2
  4. ZMF Verite Closed
Do I just go all in and go for the ZMF Verite Closed? I heard a lot of good things about those headphones. Are there any alternatives that I'm missing here? I've looked into a lot of other brands, but they didn't seem totally appealing from a "fun listening" and gaming perspective.

Any help would be appreciated! If any of you own any of the above, how was your experience in terms of gaming? Which do you prefer the most?

May 10, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 30
All of those headphones are laughably overkill for gaming. The TH 900 doesn't isolate very well, in case you're looking for a closed headphone. I would just go for a way cheaper decent sounding model. If the isolation issue doesn't bother you, a TH610 or TH-X00 should be a good candidate.

May 10, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 30
All of those headphones are laughably overkill for gaming. The TH 900 doesn't isolate very well, in case you're looking for a closed headphone. I would just go for a way cheaper decent sounding model. If the isolation issue doesn't bother you, a TH610 or TH-X00 should be a good candidate.

Interesting. In what way do you think they're overkill? Also, to add to the gaming front, some immersive music listening sessions doesn't hurt as well :)

May 10, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 30
I love my Audeze LCD-2 closed backs, I use them for pretty much everything under the sun and I don't feel like I am losing out on any detail. Only thing I would caution is they get heavy after hours of wearing them.

May 10, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 30
Yes I'd agree with LCD-2s. DT770 is a good choice. I like my Mad Dog Pro for gaming and the comfort is great. But they are out of production, you can look into a pair of modded T50rp like Argons IMO. The comfort is great with head strap and upgraded pads.

May 11, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 30
I love my Audeze LCD-2 closed backs, I use them for pretty much everything under the sun and I don't feel like I am losing out on any detail. Only thing I would caution is they get heavy after hours of wearing them.

How's their bass response? Heavy or light? Of course, I'm not looking for something that's going to vibrate my skull, but at least something that has impact and depth, but can handle the midrange and treble clearly.

May 11, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 30
What do you like about them?
I haven't tried either, I'm just recommending them based off reviews I have seen on forums, reddit and YouTube. T5P is considerably more than the Argon Mk3. Argon Mk3 is a mod of the Fostex T50RP Mk3 done by Modhouse Audio and the T5P is Beyerdynamics flagship closed back headphone. In reviews I've seen both being highly recommended for gaming because of their huge soundstages for closed backs, amazing bass reponses and detailed imaging.

May 11, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 30
I know this is going to hurt a little but I had the Argons and they were my gaming set for a very long time. Then I got the Vokyl Erupts. This is the gaming set of cans. As you can see in my sig I have a ton of other "high end" headphones but I always put on the Vokyl for games. They truly have the sound that you are looking for. The wait is going to be long and hard but it is totally worth it (for gaming). The only other headphones I can comment on in your list is the Verite Closed. OMG they are my go to for almost everything else. If you have a good DAC/Amp then for music that is the way to go but I have tried to game with them and it didn't last. Even when they were new I took them off and put on the Vokyl at a fraction of the price.

May 11, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 30
How's their bass response? Heavy or light? Of course, I'm not looking for something that's going to vibrate my skull, but at least something that has impact and depth, but can handle the midrange and treble clearly.

Bass is clean not muddy to my ears and you can actually have both heavy and light, it all depends on what you are listening too. Games played some warzone this weekend and they gave me all the depth, impact and clarity that I want as a casual gamer. Now if you were looking for comfy as all hell with skull vibrating bass while getting clarity but less precision would be audioquest nighthawks. Those cans are an absolute blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back