High end headphones and amp.. without source/dac
Nov 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Torontoraccoon

100+ Head-Fier
So after selling of some stuff I got around $8-9k to blow, I was thinking about the Stax 009 with... (not yet sure, I have asked to audition a few amps, including the Blue Hawaii). Thing is I do not have any "good" dacs, cables or sources - since I sold most of what I have had.

Is it worth to jump in with a $200 dac and a computer/ipod source? X_x

I am pretty much pressing my limits, since I still don't want to sell my HD800's and PS1000s  (maybe I would sell the Grados, but doubt anyone would buy them).

Would this be a mockery? Please don't bash - I wanted the Stax so bad after hearing them a few times, but I cannot afford to fully support them (college loans, car, house..).

Or should I hold my dreams? Lock them away into a bank and come back when I have enough for everything?

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:

Is it worth to jump in with a $200 dac and a computer/ipod source? X_x

No

The Stax setup will only too painfully reveal your limitations upstream. You won't come close to hearing what you paid dearly for. The only way I'd personally consider doing it is if I knew that a major upgrade in source equipment was coming at the earliest possible moment my budget could swing it......and brave what I hear until then.

My $.02

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
too painfully reveal your limitations upstream

Thats the thing I fear most. Too bad I started going into audio after I started loving fountain pens.. 
Makes me a sad raccoon. The only good thing - I will get tax return, thanks to the customs of Russia <3 

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
You need $9k to support a Stax dream, when you have serious bills?

Well I was thinking of selling the house, no idea why I got it in the first place, guess because of my girlfriend. I find myself not needing much space, a single small room is more than enough - a place to go to sleep. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Well I was thinking of selling the house, no idea why I got it in the first place, guess because of my girlfriend. I find myself not needing much space, a single small room is more than enough - a place to go to sleep. 

Pretty sure this is one of those critical points of one's obsession where a reality check is appropriate... and healthy.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

Pretty sure this is one of those critical points of one's obsession where a reality check is appropriate... and healthy.

Haha, well Its not because of audio, or my fountain pen addictions.. I just don't seem to need four rooms, since I live alone right now. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 11
You could always save up and get a respectable DAC/source later. Sans DAC/source however, although a 009/BHSE combo would still sound amazingly good, it wouldn't be worth the $10000 or so you paid for it. In short, a top DAC plays a huge part in what makes a 009 setup widely considered to be the best.   

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Haha, well Its not because of audio, or my fountain pen addictions.. I just don't seem to need four rooms, since I live alone right now. 

Don't mean to turn this into your financial planning thread, but have you considered renting it out, and splitting the income between a modest apartment and profit? You'll have some extra pocket money and you still get to keep the house for when you eventually need it. Come, let us continue this discussion over a cup of Tim Horton's.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 11
My thought is, the main reason I own 009s is that they are ultra-revealing. To pair them with a lousy DAC would negate the point of owning them. I'd get them with a Stax amp and use the difference to get a great source.

That being said, I don't think it is worth considering a high-end system if you have loans and other things to deal with. I'd pay off the loans first as it would be more painful down the track if you over-spent and had to sell the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back