High-End Earbuds (VE, Blox, SHOZY etc) and Earbud Gear Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,006 of 1,031
This thread is far too not busy to get answers. :joy:

You know a thread is "far too not busy" when you can't recall if you've been in it before, but you then discover that yes, you even posted in it... a whopping 6 posts back and 8 months ago. LOL!

Jan 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,009 of 1,031
I wish we have 4 separate threads about earbuds - low-fi, mid-fi, high-end...and 4th one with "asking advice-suggestion" but, I guess, it is impossible(
there is so much empty, floody messages in "earbud round-up" thread, especially regarding cheap-fi (until 5$, 20$) that some clean effective place for top products is needed.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,011 of 1,031
I wish we have 4 separate threads about earbuds - low-fi, mid-fi, high-end...and 4th one with "asking advice-suggestion" but, I guess, it is impossible(
there is so much empty, floody messages in "earbud round-up" thread, especially regarding cheap-fi (until 5$, 20$) that some clean effective place for top products is needed.

You are free to ignore them. I'm glad that there's any activity, and even "floody" messages keep things alive on the thread. In fact, the slightly off topic posts there are sometimes the most interesting. Sorry that it is annoying to some people and I totally get it.

Earbud round-up is a juxtaposition of discussion of $400 ATH-CM2000Ti to $2 Vido. This highlights the uncomfortable truth about audio that I think is *especially* true for earbuds. The correlation between cost and quality for earbuds isn't what you'd expect. It can be argued that SOME 'cheap-fi" $5 to $20 earbuds have no worse sonic quality than earbuds’ costing 10 or 20x more. For my needs the only objective reason to spend a lot on an earbud is for intrinsically pleasing hardware - plug, cord, etc. For a source I use LG V30 and LG V10. And I don't want to get into how awesome those are.

I hope this again becomes the place to discuss high end.

OK, end of my floody rant :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,012 of 1,031

Agreed. It would be convenient to have at least two threads, this one for high end and the 'roundup' for all the others.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #1,014 of 1,031
If we start separating tbe earbuds thread you won't get as much activity around earbuds from people outside.

It's because the earbuds round up thread is so active and pretty popular that it gets exposed to new comers and to be honest I think the thread is pretty great.

I like the idea of smaller sub thread for specific talk, but I also like the big mega thread for it's activity and welcoming nature.

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,015 of 1,031
Since there is no real seperate thread I'd figure I'd ask here..
I've been a long term IEM user who has struggled to find something that fits.
Nowadays I use custom IEM's (Westone ES 30 because I couldn't use a higher version due to size limitations).
Although they are comfortable, the IEM's are deeply inserted obviously and sometimes I'd just a prefer a more comfortable solution.
Therefore I started looking at a decent set of earbuds but I'm not sure if earbuds are ever gonna fit me as most seem fairly large and I've got very tiny ears (both canal and concha).

Would anyone have any recommendations (budget is max 300 dollar and it's a plus if they are easy to get in European region)?

IEM's I've owned and liked are: Andromeda, Westone UM PRO 30 v2, Etymotic ER4SR (and my beloved Campfire Cascade headphone).

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #1,016 of 1,031
Since there is no real seperate thread I'd figure I'd ask here..
I've been a long term IEM user who has struggled to find something that fits.
Nowadays I use custom IEM's (Westone ES 30 because I couldn't use a higher version due to size limitations).
Although they are comfortable, the IEM's are deeply inserted obviously and sometimes I'd just a prefer a more comfortable solution.
Therefore I started looking at a decent set of earbuds but I'm not sure if earbuds are ever gonna fit me as most seem fairly large and I've got very tiny ears (both canal and concha).

Would anyone have any recommendations (budget is max 300 dollar and it's a plus if they are easy to get in European region)?

IEM's I've owned and liked are: Andromeda, Westone UM PRO 30 v2, Etymotic ER4SR (and my beloved Campfire Cascade headphone).

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

I would recommend trying to get a few cheaper buds to see what fits you best. Buds largely fall into two shapes, mx500 & pk. There are some outliers that are smaller or larger, but the vast majority are not.

A ry4s which is a mx500 style bud and 16.8mm o.d., which can be had for a whopping $3 usd.

And a pk style bud like the DIY SR2 16ohm. Which is around $14-16 usd iirc.

Once you know what fits you best, maybe a better recommendation can be made. Sound preference and music genres will help us direct you to something you may like.

I myself also have smaller ears and prefer pk size earbuds.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #1,017 of 1,031
I would recommend trying to get a few cheaper buds to see what fits you best. Buds largely fall into two shapes, mx500 & pk. There are some outliers that are smaller or larger, but the vast majority are not.

A ry4s which is a mx500 style bud and 16.8mm o.d., which can be had for a whopping $3 usd.

And a pk style bud like the DIY SR2 16ohm. Which is around $14-16 usd iirc.

Once you know what fits you best, maybe a better recommendation can be made. Sound preference and music genres will help us direct you to something you may like.

I myself also have smaller ears and prefer pk size earbuds.

Thank you! In the meanwhile I've received and bought a pair of super nightingale earbuds and I'll see how it develops but I actually prefer listening to music with my SN over my IEM's (Andromeda and Westone ES30). They are super comfortable and so open and clear. Didn't expect me to pick these cheaper buds over the more costly IEM's

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,018 of 1,031
Thank you! In the meanwhile I've received and bought a pair of super nightingale earbuds and I'll see how it develops but I actually prefer listening to music with my SN over my IEM's (Andromeda and Westone ES30). They are super comfortable and so open and clear. Didn't expect me to pick these cheaper buds over the more costly IEM's

Cool. Yeah, earbud price/performance ratio is better than iems.

Those have a pk style shell. If they are a bit loose you can probably do the slightly larger mx500 style shells. If they are snug or just right comfort wise, then you've found what works for you.

Jul 14, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #1,019 of 1,031
Cool. Yeah, earbud price/performance ratio is better than iems.

Those have a pk style shell. If they are a bit loose you can probably do the slightly larger mx500 style shells. If they are snug or just right comfort wise, then you've found what works for you.

They fit snugly so any larger would be too large for me. I specifically start to enjoy this open sound and neutral sound that just isn't about overpowering bass. It doesn't lack bass either. It's interesting to read that the price / performance is better. So you'd say it's normal a 300 euro earbud is able to in my opinion out perform a 1000 euro IEM?
Is there a reason for this? Is it because it's easier to manufacture?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,020 of 1,031
They fit snugly so any larger would be too large for me. I specifically start to enjoy this open sound and neutral sound that just isn't about overpowering bass. It doesn't lack bass either. It's interesting to read that the price / performance is better. So you'd say it's normal a 300 euro earbud is able to in my opinion out perform a 1000 euro IEM?
Is there a reason for this? Is it because it's easier to manufacture?

I'd say it's more likely. Nothing set in stone or definite.

There are some earbuds in the $5-$20 range some prefer over their higher priced options. It's all subjective though (source, music quality, sound preference, ear anatomy, etc). I'm glad you found something that sounds so awesome.

I personally haven't dipped my toes that far into the higher end buds yet and I don't currently forsee doing so anytime soon as I don't have a good enough source/source files imo. I have tried the EBX and still own the Smabat ST-10 and Ourart ACG.

It is easier to mfg earbuds, seems to have a smaller market, and are pretty much dynamic driver based. There is also a majority that use the proven and probably easier to tune mx500/pk shells. That probably drives down the cost of r&d/tuning. I'd say its a combination of these which keeps earbuds pricing down compared to the iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back