High-End Earbuds (VE, Blox, SHOZY etc) and Earbud Gear Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #301 of 1,031
Looks like a bargain :) hit or miss we will see in 10 days :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/kz-omx2-music-headphones-HIFI-headphones-earbuds-stereo-headset-phone-headset-perfect-earphone-free-shipping/1988993285.html

Seems they have 2 types ..

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/gk-omx-earbuds-bass-headphones-music-headset-phone-headset-perfect-sound-quality-free-shipping/1380688_1987184888.htm

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #303 of 1,031
Not sure who is voting the tingo croons tg-38s to the top, but the ones I got sound like garbage, I don't think I've come across many that sounded worse aside from stock earbuds that come with audio devices. Even a $10-$20 pair of brand name buds bought at a retail store at ridiculous markup wouldn't be so muddled and cheap sounding. I know my OK3's are out of the price range to really compare, but they sound worlds better, and I wouldn't even really call myself an audiophile, as I couldn't see the benefit in headphones over earbuds, or using a portable amp.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #304 of 1,031
Yes the votes for tingo tg-38s look weird to me as well . They sound very artificial and cheap

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #305 of 1,031
  Yes the votes for tingo tg-38s look weird to me as well . They sound very artificial and cheap

I will be trying to get a new poll in soon. I think we didn't really learn much from this poll except for the Dasetn MX1 aren't popular lol. The votes are so close that it is basically meaningless and statistically insignificant. I am thinking for the next poll to lower the number of buds and just have a top tier bud shootout and hopefully mostly people that have heard them will vote. 

Something like:
Blox TM7
Sennheiser MX985
Astrotec Lyra
Yuin PK1/OK1

And I think that should be it so we don't make the poll huge and meaningless like this one. 

I'm open to suggestions on what the poll should be. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #306 of 1,031

I concur.  In the poll, I own M760 (voted for), Tingos, M1, E100, and M2C and the Tingos are by far the worst sounding earbuds in the lot.  First pair I had indeed sounded like garbage - shrill and artificial.  Not even worthy of being given away.  I received a 2nd pair and although much better, were still outclassed by most buds in the poll.  Exaggerated highs and artificial is definitely the sound signature of these buds.  I'm also befuddled as to why the Tingos receive so many 1st place votes.   My theory is that they are being compared against stock earbuds or against very limited selection of lower class earbuds.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #307 of 1,031

I got these some time back on the KZ reputation. Nothing to write home about. The dual speaker thing didn't pan out as well as hoped. The second driver supposedly is for air flow only and doesn't seem to provide any benefit.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #308 of 1,031
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/strong-bass-clear-sound-VJJC-C1S-DIY-HiFi-on-ear-metal-earphone-earbud-headphone-with-microphone/2055487419.html

Anyone up for it :grin:

Those look promising.  I am really looking for a good earbud with a mic.  This would be cheaper than the BEB 328RM that is $33 (Minus $5 if you mention Head-fi).

So the VJJC earbud would be less expensive, though it does remind me a lot of the Dasetn AP8, which is awful sounding earbud.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #310 of 1,031
When I see the words "kill $200 earphone," I can't help but reflexively recoil a bit. I blame the Tingo TG-38S for that.

Not sure who is voting the tingo croons tg-38s to the top, but the ones I got sound like garbage, I don't think I've come across many that sounded worse aside from stock earbuds that come with audio devices. Even a $10-$20 pair of brand name buds bought at a retail store at ridiculous markup wouldn't be so muddled and cheap sounding. I know my OK3's are out of the price range to really compare, but they sound worlds better, and I wouldn't even really call myself an audiophile, as I couldn't see the benefit in headphones over earbuds, or using a portable amp.

I have a hunch many of the Tingo voters are newer members who may have joined just to vote them up in the poll.

I will be trying to get a new poll in soon. I think we didn't really learn much from this poll except for the Dasetn MX1 aren't popular lol. The votes are so close that it is basically meaningless and statistically insignificant. I am thinking for the next poll to lower the number of buds and just have a top tier bud shootout and hopefully mostly people that have heard them will vote. 

Something like:
Blox TM7
Sennheiser MX985
Astrotec Lyra
Yuin PK1/OK1

And I think that should be it so we don't make the poll huge and meaningless like this one. 

Close voting doesn't make the poll statistically insignificant, but it does make it "meaningless" if you were looking for a runaway landslide winner. There are 43 votes as of this post, so we likely have a large enough sample size, provided that the 43 Head-Fiers voting are representative of the whole community, or even just the earbud users. However, I don't think that's the case as I've indicated by my "hunch."

My only suggestion for the poll is more for Head-Fi in general. I remember in the old days before Huddler, there was an option in the polls that would allow them to be more transparent: you could see who voted for which option. I'd like to see that come back as one could ask the Head-Fier to explain his/her choice(s) and would make the voting process, and in turn, the poll itself, more meaningful.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #311 of 1,031
Tingo Croons TG38S sound too thin and hollow ... although the vocals sound OK, but over all its not a M2C :)

As for the $200 earbud, they where only $5 so as you know... its either a hit or miss.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #312 of 1,031

Something like:
Blox TM7
Sennheiser MX985
Astrotec Lyra
Yuin PK1/OK1

Since this is a high-end earbuds thread, it would be nice to have some more expensive ones included as well. I have been curious about Astrotec Lyra, but nowadays I don't feel like paying so much for earbuds from a brand that I'm not familiar with. By the way, aren't Sennheiser MX985 discontinued?

Regarding the poll, I voted Earbell E100 (despite having trouble fitting them into my ear properly), but I think Dasetn MC5 are on the same level and Dasetn M/MX1 are close. The other ones are okay. I bought an early version of Blox M2C, but after comparing it to my Yuin PK2, I decided to sell it. I prefer my Dasetn M1 & MX1 to my PK2...
Blox BE3 probably beats all of the earbuds above and is like a more fun sounding sibling to Blox TM7. Considering that I've bought a lot of cheap and good earbuds lately I don't feel the need to buy Blox BE5 or BE7, but I'll definitely check out the upcoming flagship earbud from Blox.

Finding all of these cheap and great sounding Chinese earbuds has been good for my wallet. Before, I was hunting for vintage Aiwa and Sony earbuds on Ebay, and I could pay $200 or even $300 for a pair. Some old Aiwa and Sony models sound amazing, but if I can get something that sounds as good for $20, I'll choose that instead. I would like to find a pair of Aiwa HP-V9 or V99, but I don't feel like paying the same as if I bought 10 or 15 pairs of Blox BE3. Collecting is nice, but I prefer to focus on stuff that sounds good.

edit: post #1000!

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #313 of 1,031

Since this is a high-end earbuds thread, it would be nice to have some more expensive ones included as well. I have been curious about Astrotec Lyra, but nowadays I don't feel like paying so much for earbuds from a brand that I'm not familiar with. By the way, aren't Sennheiser MX985 discontinued?

Regarding the poll, I voted Earbell E100 (despite having trouble fitting them into my ear properly), but I think Dasetn MC5 are on the same level and Dasetn M/MX1 are close. The other ones are okay. I bought an early version of Blox M2C, but after comparing it to my Yuin PK2, I decided to sell it. I prefer my Dasetn M1 & MX1 to my PK2...
Blox BE3 probably beats all of the earbuds above and is like a more fun sounding sibling to Blox TM7. Considering that I've bought a lot of cheap and good earbuds lately I don't feel the need to buy Blox BE5 or BE7, but I'll definitely check out the upcoming flagship earbud from Blox.

Finding all of these cheap and great sounding Chinese earbuds has been good for my wallet. Before, I was hunting for vintage Aiwa and Sony earbuds on Ebay, and I could pay $200 or even $300 for a pair. Some old Aiwa and Sony models sound amazing, but if I can get something that sounds as good for $20, I'll choose that instead. I would like to find a pair of Aiwa HP-V9 or V99, but I don't feel like paying the same as if I bought 10 or 15 pairs of Blox BE3. Collecting is nice, but I prefer to focus on stuff that sounds good.

The MX985 are indeed discontinued, but you can probably find them easily online in places like ebay or even the classifieds here. I got one off head fi for $75. They sound great, but very neutral.

I too am really curious about the lyra seeing as how it's a multi driver earbud which you don't see ever, but the reviews are not very stellar unfortunately so I think it's safe to assume blox, yuin, and sennheiser still beat them if not sound equal. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #314 of 1,031
I own a pair of Sennheiser MX980 and I like those. Fit isn''t great, but they sound good. I hope that Sennheiser will release a follow up to the MX985...

Overall, I don't think that dual drivers make much difference when it comes to earbuds. I'd rather have a well tuned single driver. The KZ OMX2 (mentioned in earlier posts) have dual drivers. I sort of like them, but they are a bit dark sounding so I have to EQ highs up when I use them.They're not as good sounding as the best Blox or Dasetn, but still pretty good. Fit is quite good.
I used to own a pair of Panasonic RP-HV600 with dual driver. Besides the poor fit, they really didn't sound that good at all. They were extremely thin sounding with zero bass, and still detail weren't very good.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #315 of 1,031
I really like the dasetn M3. Reading the reviews about it i didn't expect much about them. But they are currently my favorite among Blox BE7, BE3, MX760, Mrice E100. I really appreciate the soundstage.:$ Just ordered the M1 as have good report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back