High End Bluetooth Headphones
Apr 19, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #766 of 894
Just for you, off topic, some of my warm ups.. I just happen not to be your ordinary grandpa..:D

My ab exercises where my head my go horizontal and vertical..

[COLOR=590304]http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv[/COLOR]

[COLOR=590304]http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI[/COLOR]

http://www.cehoward.net/kneetouch.MOV
boy boy boy, what are you, the grandpa of Frank Medrano?
Ok so you're not 15, that's good, that's probably why your attitude is different than that other "eat pasta speak fasta" guy.
But you're definitely not 75.
Ok you may be.
Well, old newbie, have a look at the first thread of my thread (the comparison one, not the one about the best anc headphones). I've linked two threads about how to use eq. I will link other two today.
Anyway we're not speaking of using eq the way a professional sound engineer would do in a studio when producing/mixing the new Pink Floyd album. We're really speaking of simple things. And to be clear eq can be used to enhance music (you can do even a preset for each single track and let your player recall it automatically) or to retune your headphone (one single preset with all music, just to adapt the headphone to your tastes).
I only do the second.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #767 of 894
boy boy boy, what are you, the grandpa of Frank Medrano?
Ok so you're not 15, that's good, that's probably why your attitude is different than that other "eat pasta speak fasta" guy.
But you're definitely not 75.
Ok you may be.
Well, old newbie, have a look at the first thread of my thread (the comparison one, not the one about the best anc headphones). I've linked two threads about how to use eq. I will link other two today.
Anyway we're not speaking of using eq the way a professional sound engineer would do in a studio when producing/mixing the new Pink Floyd album. We're really speaking of simple things. And to be clear eq can be used to enhance music (you can do even a preset for each single track and let your player recall it automatically) or to retune your headphone (one single preset with all music, just to adapt the headphone to your tastes).
I only do the second.

I wish I could find a fountain of youth and go back...
biggrin.gif

On the using EQ, I will stick to what I have and doing right now. I am very please with the result. Plus, through the length of my years, I know my limitations.. Throwing this and that in the mix, will throw me off track quickly. Plus, I am fine the way the headphones perform now, bad hearing and all.. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #769 of 894
I really dont understand everyones negativity against using an eq. Everyone hears things differently, and also like to hear things a certain way. Thats what an eq is for.

I didn't have anything  negative to say about EQ, I just said, I don't use it.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #770 of 894
I really dont understand everyones negativity against using an eq. Everyone hears things differently, and also like to hear things a certain way. Thats what an eq is for.

Exactly. Different ears hear the same sound with the same headphone differently. In order to hear the same sound (= the supposedly real original sound) you need to tune the headphone to your hearing.
Than, there are also tastes as you said. And i didn't read any eleventh commandment saying "you will respect the original sound".
For me the recording (supposing that the recording is good, and loyal to the original sound) is just a proposal, it's not a show where I'm passive listener but an interaction, something I'm free to change to my liking.
Which said like that sounds extreme, but it's really just a matter of "I like it with more of this".

I wonder if all these anti-EQ people eat all what their mum or wife or restaurant give them, without putting some extra salt, oil, pepper, or whatever.

I didn't have anything  negative to say about EQ, I just said, I don't use it.  :D
why should you, if anyway you could not even hear the improvements? :)

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #771 of 894

@suzook this is just for reference and showing the range that opinions can go.. I saw this on an audio comment section and I thought it was worth repeating....
biggrin.gif

"I am an audiophile and have many friends that are audiophiles and I don’t know of one that uses the EQ settings at all. If you have headphones you like the sound of you shouldn’t need it. All it does is adds distortion which is an audiophiles nightmare."

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #772 of 894
  @suzook this is just for reference and showing the range that opinions can go.. I saw this on an audio comment section and I thought it was worth repeating....
biggrin.gif

"I am an audiophile and have many friends that are audiophiles and I don’t know of one that uses the EQ settings at all. If you have headphones you like the sound of you shouldn’t need it. All it does is adds distortion which is an audiophiles nightmare."

There wouldn't me many proper audiophiles out there who are after bluetooth headphones though. The distortion doesn't happen with every headphones out there but many audiophile ones aren't designed to be EQ'd or customised and that is where the distortion and problems arise.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #773 of 894
There wouldn't me many proper audiophiles out there who are after bluetooth headphones though. The distortion doesn't happen with every headphones out there but many audiophile ones aren't designed to be EQ'd or customised and that is where the distortion and problems arise.
i have serious doubts about what you say.
I'm not aware of such a thing as "designed not to be eqed".

Distortion happens when you have no idea of how to use an EQ, plain and simple.
If people do not even know the difference between subtractive and addictive EQ, the basics of EQ, and do not have a player like Neutron with automatic gain protection, or do not adjust the gain corresponding to how they've eqed, they'll have distortion, and the cause of this distortion is their incompetence, not the EQ.
And blaming the EQ for their mistakes is ignorance.
If you want to call such people audiophile, than I don't want to be an audiophile.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #774 of 894
My EQ story...

When I first got my Sennheiser HD 800s with the Sennheiser HDVD amp, I eagerly hooked it up to my PC USB port and played some .wav files...

BEAUTIFUL!

But since nearly all of my 7,000-tune library is in iTunes, I then played some iTunes on it.

HORRIBLE!!!! 

Specifically, VERY distorted bass on a bass-rich song I often use to compare headphones ("Throwback" by B.o.B.).

I posted the question in the HDVD 800 forum, got advice, decoded some Chinese website to get a FLAC version of "Throwback," used Audacity to display waveforms, etc., etc.

The sad tale starts here and continues for several posts in my name and others helping me, until it gets resolved two pages later:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/605444/sennheiser-hdvd800-headphone-amplifier/2145#post_10750794

Turns out...

My iTunes on my PC had the bass EQ turned up by 12 dB at 32 Hz, and by 6 dB at 64 Hz,

I didn't do it!  It must have come that way! 

Anyway, I turned off EQ and all was well.

Moral:  Unenlightened use of EQ can cause saturation, clipping, and horrible sounds.

All that was nearly a year ago.

Now, as my avatar shows, I stand poised upon the threshold of Headphoneus Supremus, some of whom helped my on my problem back then.

So don't tell anyone of my stupid mistake... they may set my post count back to zero to reflect my stupidity!! 
smile.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #775 of 894
i have serious doubts about what you say.
I'm not aware of such a thing as "designed not to be eqed".

Distortion happens when you have no idea of how to use an EQ, plain and simple.
If people do not even know the difference between subtractive and addictive EQ, the basics of EQ, and do not have a player like Neutron with automatic gain protection, or do not adjust the gain corresponding to how they've eqed, they'll have distortion, and the cause of this distortion is their incompetence, not the EQ.
And blaming the EQ for their mistakes is ignorance.
If you want to call such people audiophile, than I don't want to be an audiophile.

Lol its all relative. Something like the Parrot Zik is clearly designed to be EQ'd. It's pretty much impossible to listen to them without it. Others perhaps they are not specifically designed not to be EQ'd but they weren't designed or tested with EQ in mind. As a result when you try to EQ them they distort like crazy. You've seen that yourself with some of your comments and tests. Some headphones distorted in the bass when you tried to EQ them which caused you to give them a bad rating and others like the AKG appeared to be impossible to EQ at all. Not all EQ software is the same and some will do a much better job than others definitely and if you do it the wrong way or use the wrong software then things won't sound as good as you'd hope (the ones included inside music player software are often the worst I've seen). But there are definitely headphones out there that do not like to be EQ'd at all no matter how good the software you use and often it is the really high end ones that are the bigger culprits as the post above shows (audiophiles don't often try to improve sound through EQ but rather high quality amps and dacs so its not really a problem for those headphones in general).

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #776 of 894
Need serious help so posting in multiple bluetooth threads.

Hello,

I have the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 bluetooth headphone and I usually listen to it via a non-aptx mobile phone (Xperia L) , Do you really see a huge difference between aptx and non aptx connection?

Especially the low bass? Because I dont get much power(volume) on the low frequencies as much as I get when its wired. How is the low bass when both devices are on aptx compared to wired? 

Could you please test this bass song ( Decaf - White Clouds) on an aptx device and a non aptx device and post your thoughts? 

It would really help me if someone tests this because I will buy an aptx enabled mobile if the bass power is same as wired connection. thanks..

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #777 of 894
guys why is there no mentioning of sony mdr 1abt

is it  a bad headphone

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #778 of 894
  guys why is there no mentioning of sony mdr 1abt

is it  a bad headphone

it is new, almost nobody tried it. In my thread you can read the comments of someone who did.

May 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #780 of 894

Phoebe at Avantree said she is arranging to send me a new updated Priva to test. I have no idea how long it will take for them to send it to me. But I am looking forward to it to see how it compares with what I've already tried and tested.
You are right about Avantree support, they really do seem to be putting a lot of effort to make sure they get things right. 

I just want to update y'all on this. Avantree never sent the new Priva to test.  Said that they will be delayed due to problems with the new unit still.  So I don't know if they really are going to send me a new unit to test or if they were just trying to give a good PR image. Looks like they may just forget about this.  I will update when and if they ever send me an actual new Priva unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back