High End Bluetooth Headphones
Apr 12, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #736 of 894
  Hmmm. High points of the show?
I would hardly believe it for any BT Headphone, considering that the CanJam for how I have understood it is focused on very very very high level headphones, even customized ones and rarities, and the S1+ (which I have under test now) are good, but not soooooooo good to compete with those kind of cans.
Yeah, as a BT Headphones they are indeed, out of the box, as you described them, and I am surely very pleasantly surprised.
But I cannot believe they are more detailed than the Momentum. I could not compare them side to side with the Urbanite, but I remember the urbanite being more detailed and clear.
But I will see when I get the Momentum.

I was one of the reviewers who was blown away by the Stance S1+ phones. Prior to listening to those, I was a total BT headphone skeptic, and when I heard them the first day, I thought maybe my ears were fried from listening to so much gear that I wasn't hearing accurately again. I came back the second day, checked out the Pendulumics, then went to the Sennheiser booth to check out the BT Momentums, and went back. Hands down preferred the sound of the S1+. Sennheisers were too laid back and sounded mushy compared to the Pendulumics. 

Now, did they compare to the Audeze LCD-XC cans, or the Enigmacoustic Dharmas, which were absolute stunners for me? Nope. But I was amazed by the sound, especially at the price point. Totally worth the $180 (CanJam discount) for a pair of office cans.

Also, after a couple weeks of using them, I have to say that I'm still loving the sound, and am really impressed by the BT connection. Yesterday, my officemates and I were checking out a new office space, separated from my MacBook by a structural wall and a good 25 feet, and the sound didn't waver for a second. 

Still waiting for my speaker-audiophile friend's reaction. I shipped his Pendulumics up this week and he just got them yesterday, so I expect I'll hear back in a couple days whether he enjoys them as much as I do.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #737 of 894

*shrug* I always like to test stuff before I buy it, but I suppose the S1+ aren't crazy expensive. Hardly a risky buy, unless you're a basshead.

Yes but he can still return them if he does not like them.
And he cannot know what else he finds at the CanJam.
While with the help of this thread or of my Huge Comparison or of other reviewer etc, he can limit his options to 2 or 3 headphones, buy them together, compare them, and decide which one to keep.
In my experience I have seen that only by comparing headphones you can really understand them.
If you only try one alone, unless it is really ****ty, chances are very good that you will like it and keep it. But maybe by comparing it you would have noticed "oh, wait, this actually sounds more detailed, and here I can hear some things I could not with the other one, and here the bass really makes me smile"...

Yeah, the S1+ are definitely not a basshead headphone. No matter how much you EQ them. But they probably did not aim to.

Now I am really curious at their new Tach...
They surely look absolutely amazing.
I hope the bass will be imporved so to be at same time natural and balanced out of the box for the lovers of "neutral", but extremely powerful on bassy music and able to reach epic vibrations without distortion (and without eating other frequencies) when EQed.
The S1+ cannot.
Some other BT Headphones can.
But there is always room for improvement.
So maybe they can make the Tach able to do that too, and even better.
Maybe some 53mm drivers would be also better...

I kind of experience withdrawal symptoms for lack of headphones to compare.
My thread is becoming so silent too :)
I need something to compare!!!

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #738 of 894
When I heard that the audio technica bt which I supposed to be I guess the same as the wired one sounds so close to ath m 50 that turned me off immediately as I remmebrr the m50 sound and did not like it when I had it , it's highs were very irritating to me

So if the audio technica one bt recommended here sounds anything like the ath m50 then my search for a Bluetooth headphone is still ongoing

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #739 of 894

While with the help of this thread or of my Huge Comparison or of other reviewer etc, he can limit his options to 2 or 3 headphones, buy them together, compare them, and decide which one to keep.
In my experience I have seen that only by comparing headphones you can really understand them.
If you only try one alone, unless it is really ****ty, chances are very good that you will like it and keep it. But maybe by comparing it you would have noticed "oh, wait, this actually sounds more detailed, and here I can hear some things I could not with the other one, and here the bass really makes me smile"...

Yeah, the S1+ are definitely not a basshead headphone. No matter how much you EQ them. But they probably did not aim to.

I hope the bass will be imporved so to be at same time natural and balanced out of the box for the lovers of "neutral", but extremely powerful on bassy music and able to reach epic vibrations without distortion (and without eating other frequencies) when EQed.
The S1+ cannot.

I have an idea - how about you compare the best metal-housed earphones on the market!

:wink:

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #740 of 894

I have an idea - how about you compare the best metal-housed earphones on the market!

:wink:

If the Company/Companies ship(s) them to me, yes!
I have never tested Earphones for two reasons:
1) They always fall from my ears and they feel so umcofortable. But apparently the Comply Tips could solve that.
2) I cannot return them. They are Hygiene Articles. Till now, all what I have compared I did it abusing of my few free time and few money, buying everything (not all 30 headphones together, of course) and shipping back after testing. Trying to buy used when possible. Which is also another reason why I ask Companies to send me stuff. If they do not, I must buy and send back. This is bad for them too.

Luckily the world of High End BT Headphones it is not so overly populated. So, as long as I stick with comparing BT Headphones, I can do it like I did it till now.
But sometimes I feel it would be cool if Companies would send me a test unit of their headphones to keep it, so that I can constantly make comparisons also "on request".
You know, people ask "can they do this?" and you had forgotten to test them in that aspect. If you have them at home, you can test them again.
Or people who specifically want to know how the model 1 compares to the model 2, but I have bought them in two different moments so I did not compare them side to side. If I had them at home, I can compare them specifically for that guy.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #741 of 894
Apr 13, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #742 of 894
  But sometimes I feel it would be cool if Companies would send me a test unit of their headphones to keep it, so that I can constantly make comparisons also "on request".
You know, people ask "can they do this?" and you had forgotten to test them in that aspect. If you have them at home, you can test them again.
Or people who specifically want to know how the model 1 compares to the model 2, but I have bought them in two different moments so I did not compare them side to side. If I had them at home, I can compare them specifically for that guy.

This is exactly why I own each of the 12 current models (and two historical) of Grado headphones... so I can ALWAYS do little comparisons on request of things that maybe I had not. (Oh, and I DO listen to them all, in rotation, as well!)

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #743 of 894
will the tach from pendulmic be a bigger headphone than the S+ 

hope they get the bass right this time

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #744 of 894

The S1+ cannot.

Get a hold the new PENDULUMIC' Tach1, and the new Denon BT something.. They should keep them golden ears of yours busy... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #745 of 894
  will the tach from pendulmic be a bigger headphone than the S+ 

hope they get the bass right this time

Looks like the Tach might have ANC as for size, they are on-ear's so doubtful they'll be bigger than S1+. However, that might kill it for me as in general I haven't found on-ear's to be comfortable.

@mikesjc - Mike, I know it's still under development and you likely can't divulge much but can you at least let us know size of ear pad's?

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #746 of 894

Still waiting for my speaker-audiophile friend's reaction. I shipped his Pendulumics up this week and he just got them yesterday, so I expect I'll hear back in a couple days whether he enjoys them as much as I do.

Am definitely curious as to what your speaker audiophile friend thinks of them. From my experience they seem to be even more skeptical when it comes to wireless products than headphone audiophiles.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #747 of 894
Am definitely curious as to what your speaker audiophile friend thinks of them. From my experience they seem to be even more skeptical when it comes to wireless products than headphone audiophiles.
i know you're thinking that his friend should try the symphony 1...

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #748 of 894
i know you're thinking that his friend should try the symphony 1...

LOL! I actually didn't think of that at all haha. I am just curious what his friend would say as speaker audiophiles are generally more allergic to wireless audio than headphone audiophiles. Understandably so as there have barely been any wireless speakers beyond the HTIB catergory ever released. The new B&O set look interesting though they cost an absolute fortune. But now that you mention it yes I wouldn't mind hearing what his friend thinks of the Symphony 1.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #749 of 894
His immediate reaction was that the sound in wireless was different than wired, which he attributed to compression, but could also have been the result of not using the internal amp in wired mode. I got a message from him this morning that he was using them all night playing Diablo 3, and the sound was fine for gaming, but that's not exactly critical listening. I'm guessing there will be more specific feedback once he sits down with 'em for working to music.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #750 of 894
  His immediate reaction was that the sound in wireless was different than wired, which he attributed to compression, but could also have been the result of not using the internal amp in wired mode. I got a message from him this morning that he was using them all night playing Diablo 3, and the sound was fine for gaming, but that's not exactly critical listening. I'm guessing there will be more specific feedback once he sits down with 'em for working to music.

I think he did not yet discover the "wired amped" mode.
Tell him that there are two kind of wired.
If he put the switch on the left in the bottom position (or in the upper position, if he's got AAA batteries inside) and the right switch in the middle position, he's got wired amped, and it does not sound so much different than the BT mode. It is aventually a bit more boomy maybe. And I actually would like him to try some bassy music, with a powerful kick drum and a punchy bass in this wired amped mode, and tell me what does he think.
If the right switch is in the bottom position then the amp is off, and the sound is a bit muffled, less lively, and less loud.
Overall, like the guys at Thewirecutter noticed (one of the few times I agree with them ,although they actually tried the old S1), the BT mode is the best sounding.
Which is actually fine, for a BT headphone :D
Tell him that he should try the Symphony 1 by Definitive Technology. A Speakers Company which makes a BT headphone trying to make it sound like a pair of speakers.
@n00b2 says that they actually almost succeeded.
But your friend must like a neutral sound with a very light bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back