High End Bluetooth Headphones
Apr 6, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #706 of 894
  Yes, I have already fired off my issue conerns to both Avantree and Miccus. Let's see how they respond.

Avantree support rep responded to my email last evening saying that they will escalate my issue concern to their developers and also said she would like me to test out an updated version of the Priva for free.
I was impressed with the response.  But after I said I would accept the offer to test the new Priva and asked how to proceed, they went silent.  I have yet to hear back on this.  I will wait to see if it was a genuine offer or just an attempt to look good.

I've also since been trying to investigate the Sony headphone side of the issue to see if it might be on the Sony side of things.  I suspect that maybe the Sony headphone blinking 2x instead of 3x doesn't mean it is not using the AptX codec.  So even though the Sony headphones LED is only blinking 2x instead of 3x, the Sony documentation says that it could be in A2DP mode which is not clear to me if it is using SBC codec or AptX codec in high speed mode.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #707 of 894
I can vouch for the Pendulumic Stance S1+ as well. I've been using them as my primary closed over ear headphone for the past 4 months with no issues or complaints. I did extensive demo-ing of the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2, and though they are a bit more comfortable than the pendulumic, they are no where near comparison in sound quality. I found the sonys to be too veiled, kind of muddy sounding. I would describe the S1+ to have an engaging sound signature, slightly mid centric. The lowest bass extension is a bit lacking, but overall a "fun" sounding headphone. But to have something sound this good with the convenience of being wireless still amazes me sometimes. Even compared to wired headphones in the same price range that I've owned like the ATH-M50s and the Shure SRH840, the Pendulumic Stance S1+ I would say is still better buy, both in terms of sound and comfort. Oh and the battery life is great. I've been getting around 22 hours between charges on the internal battery alone. The looks are a bit hit or miss, I personally really like the steam punk inspired design. 

Quote:
  Hmmm. High points of the show?
I would hardly believe it for any BT Headphone, considering that the CanJam for how I have understood it is focused on very very very high level headphones, even customized ones and rarities, and the S1+ (which I have under test now) are good, but not soooooooo good to compete with those kind of cans.
Yeah, as a BT Headphones they are indeed, out of the box, as you described them, and I am surely very pleasantly surprised.
But I cannot believe they are more detailed than the Momentum. I could not compare them side to side with the Urbanite, but I remember the urbanite being more detailed and clear.
But I will see when I get the Momentum.

I also wanted to ask, did anybody ever hear of these old Denon:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-NCW500BK-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00858I53I
in months of google search and thread and amazon and people, I have never heard of them before. I wonder why.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #708 of 894
  the Sony documentation says that it could be in A2DP mode which is not clear to me if it is using SBC codec or AptX codec in high speed mode.

I have an idea. Put them in standard mode (confirm that by the absence of CSR logo when connected with the PC).
Test the difference in sound. Test them with the Priva too, test the sound.
Put them again in Aptx mode and test if thes sound noticeably better.
If you can hear a difference with the PC, but no difference with the Priva, then you are not in Aptx with the Priva.
If you cannot hear any difference ever, then the Sony have a bad Aptx or a good SBC :)

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #709 of 894
I would describe the S1+ to have an engaging sound signature, slightly mid centric. The lowest bass extension is a bit lacking, but overall a "fun" sounding headphone.

I agree in everything. But it confuses me the term "fun", because it is normally used for v-shaped signature. Which would be in contrast with the "mid centric" thing.
But yes, they do not excel in sub-bass. But with long testings and comparisons with the Plantronics Backbeat Pro (which have a nice boost in the bass, and I mean nice because of the quality of the bass, no matter if people like the quantity or not -which can be adjusted with EQ, while the quality could not), I think the Stance have a nice bass, not enough for bassheads, not even after intense EQ (which they do not stand very well), but very nice for most people.
I like them with a tiny bit more upper range, to be honest. Let's say that for my tastes a mix between Stance and Backbeat would be ideal :)

If you like Audio Tecnica you should try the ATH-WS99BT
I like them more than any other which I have tested.

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #710 of 894
  I have an idea. Put them in standard mode (confirm that by the absence of CSR logo when connected with the PC).
Test the difference in sound. Test them with the Priva too, test the sound.
Put them again in Aptx mode and test if thes sound noticeably better.
If you can hear a difference with the PC, but no difference with the Priva, then you are not in Aptx with the Priva.
If you cannot hear any difference ever, then the Sony have a bad Aptx or a good SBC :)

I've already tried that connecting to my laptop using the AZIO USB Bluetooth AptX adapter and yes putting the Sony MBR-1RBTMK2 into the Standard mode and connecting to the laptop, CSR AptX Logo does not pop up.
As for the Priva, I don't have it anymore as I said earlier, I have returned it.
As for the Miccus TX4, it has no status indicator to tell what mode it connects in.  So that one is useless for status checking.

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #711 of 894
As for the Priva, I don't have it anymore as I said earlier, I have returned it.
oh, i had forgotten it.
Well still, just for curiosity, can you check if you notice a difference in sound in standard mode?

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #712 of 894
oh, i had forgotten it.
Well still, just for curiosity, can you check if you notice a difference in sound in standard mode?

I hear slight difference on quick comparing the sound when paired with AptX and with SBC codec mode. They both sound really good on these Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 headphones. But I can clearly hear that when it is connected in AptX mode the audio is a bit cleaner and smoother sounding. The SBC mode is just a bit more rough sounding but only if you A/B between the two modes.  If you just connected in SBC (non-AptX) mode and was listening to them, it'd be hard to even notice or know that you were not in AptX mode.
Overall I do hear the difference and indeed AptX is the better smoother sounding codec.  This A/B sound comparison test was done with the AZIO Bluetooth 4.0 AptX dongle in my high end Samsung Gamer laptop. (I am not a gamer though!).

The Sony MBR-1RBTMK2 are really good natural sounding headphones in Bluetooth mode. In wired mode though, they tend to have a strong bass hump which can add more wow factor for some music but long term I found it could also be fatique-ing.  I compared the Sony's wired sound against my higher end wired headphones like the Grado RS1 and Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 and AKG-K701's.  They compare favorable overall except I did notice the slight extra mid to upper bass hump in these Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 when wired mode.  Bluetooth mode they must have equalized it out as it sounds way smooth and balanced across the entire range in Bluetooth mode. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #713 of 894
oh, i had forgotten it.

Phoebe at Avantree said she is arranging to send me a new updated Priva to test. I have no idea how long it will take for them to send it to me. But I am looking forward to it to see how it compares with what I've already tried and tested.
You are right about Avantree support, they really do seem to be putting a lot of effort to make sure they get things right. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #714 of 894
I can vouch for the Pendulumic Stance S1+ as well. I've been using them as my primary closed over ear headphone for the past 4 months with no issues or complaints. I did extensive demo-ing of the Sony MDR-1R MK2, and though they are a bit more comfortable than the pendulumic, they are no where near comparison in sound quality. I found the sonys to be too veiled, kind of muddy sounding. I would describe the S1+ to have an engaging sound signature, slightly mid centric. The lowest bass extension is a bit lacking, but overall a "fun" sounding headphone. But to have something sound this good with the convenience of being wireless still amazes me sometimes. Even compared to wired headphones in the same price range that I've owned like the ATH-M50s and the Shure SRH840, the Pendulumic Stance S1+ I would say is still better buy, both in terms of sound and comfort. Oh and the battery life is great. I've been getting around 22 hours between charges on the internal battery alone. The looks are a bit hit or miss, I personally really like the steam punk inspired design. 

Hi, just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Also, I am a newbie so bear with me.. :)

You stated you compared to the Penn Stance S1+ to the SonyMDR-1R MK2? if this is correct, the Sony MDR-1R MK2 is NOT bluetooth, as we are discussing bluetooth SQ.

The reason I am interested, is because I have the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, and IMO, it is real good. Anything that has better BLUETOOTH SQ than the 1RBT MK2 has my attention. The only ones I have found out to do this are the Senn M2, which I have acquired and like very much. 

If the Pend Stance S1+ are that good, I would love to get my wife a pair, and save me the expense of getting her a pair of M2 for $499.99 like I have..
biggrin.gif

Again, did you compare in wired mode or bluetooth? Also, did you have the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, or another version, such as the Sony MDR 1RBT, which is very different animal than the MK2 version?

Just asking.. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #715 of 894
  Well, lot of things happened since the MM100.
The Stance are one of them.

The Stance are awesome. Tried em at CanJam, I don't want to compare them to the above since I haven't had lots of time with them, but I'd take them over any of the over-ear BT cans I've heard yet, especially MDR1RBT. If they had a more streamlined headband design I'd be all over them.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #716 of 894

Hi, just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Also, I am a newbie so bear with me.. :)

You stated you compared to the Penn Stance S1+ to the SonyMDR-1R MK2? if this is correct, the Sony MDR-1R MK2 is NOT bluetooth, as we are discussing bluetooth SQ.

The reason I am interested, is because I have the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, and IMO, it is real good. Anything that has better BLUETOOTH SQ than the 1RBT MK2 has my attention. The only ones I have found out to do this are the Senn M2, which I have acquired and like very much. 

If the Pend Stance S1+ are that good, I would love to get my wife a pair, and save me the expense of getting her a pair of M2 for $499.99 like I have..
biggrin.gif

Again, did you compare in wired mode or bluetooth? Also, did you have the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, or another version, such as the Sony MDR 1RBT, which is very different animal than the MK2 version?

Just asking.. 
beerchug.gif

Check out the Stance. It's really, really good. Bluetooth really doesn't have any business sounding that good - it's up there with wired portables in its price range for sure, and has a more balanced sound that most of them. Personally I like them better than any version of the MDR1R or Momentum, but then neither of those is my flavor - my girlfriend is a musician and she loves the Momentum.

But yeah. The Stance is definitely a new level in Bluetooth.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #717 of 894
Sorry yeah, I demoed the MDR-1RBT MK2 over APTX and compared it to the Stance S1+. I found the Stance more resolving. Not a balanced sound signature, but far less scewed to the lower end compared to the Sony. The mid bass hump on the Sony's had a veiling affect that drowned out the vocal range. 

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Just asking.. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #718 of 894
I demoed the MDR-1RBT MK2 over APTX and compared it to the Stance S1+. I found the Stance more resolving. Not a balanced sound signature, but far less scewed to the lower end compared to the Sony. The mid bass hump on the Sony's had a veiling affect that drowned out the vocal range. 

It's the same impression that the MDR-1RBT old version, and the MDR-10RBT gave me.
And I agree about the S1+.
Although I do not know what you mean with "resolving" :D

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #719 of 894

The Stance are awesome. Tried em at CanJam, I don't want to compare them to the above since I haven't had lots of time with them, but I'd take them over any of the over-ear BT cans I've heard yet, especially MDR1RBT. If they had a more streamlined headband design I'd be all over them.

I totally agree about the S1+ over the MDR-1RBT.
But have a look to my thread in my signature.
As you see, I am kind of, devote to BT Headphones :)
Mike saw it and made it possible for me to get a S1+ although not distributed in Germany, so that I could test it and add it to my list (which I am doing, slowly, in-depth, as I like).

But my favourite is still the Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT. It is one of the most detailed and transparent BT Headphones which I have tried, and performs astonishing well in all frequencies.
I had at first the feeling that the low mids were a bit too present although not exactly muddy. So I have created an EQ preset to compensate that.
Then, after a while using that preset, while I was comparing them to other headphones (which I always do at first without EQ as you can read in the methodology explained in my thread), I almost started liking more the ATH not EQed. Somehow the presence and warmth they have in the mids is just glorious. The bass is impressive, the most powerful of any other BT Headphone (among those  more than 30 tested) and at same time not artificially boosted, very natural.
The highs are not as dominant as in the AKG K845BT or Plantronics Backbeat Pro, I would compare them to the S1+ in quantity, but the ATH has more detail.

And, I also still prefer the Fidelio M2BT over the S1+. But in this case is more of a subjective thing, because they are more or less comparable as overall quality in what is "objective", but the Fidelio has got a much better bass (just slightly boosted, but well, not like the BeoPlay H8).
I suppose that I would put the S1+ in the top 5 in my list, but not yet sure where...

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #720 of 894
  I totally agree about the S1+ over the MDR-1RBT.
But have a look to my thread in my signature.
As you see, I am kind of, devote to BT Headphones :)
Mike saw it and made it possible for me to get a S1+ although not distributed in Germany, so that I could test it and add it to my list (which I am doing, slowly, in-depth, as I like).

But my favourite is still the Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT. It is one of the most detailed and transparent BT Headphones which I have tried, and performs astonishing well in all frequencies.
I had at first the feeling that the low mids were a bit too present although not exactly muddy. So I have created an EQ preset to compensate that.
Then, after a while using that preset, while I was comparing them to other headphones (which I always do at first without EQ as you can read in the methodology explained in my thread), I almost started liking more the ATH not EQed. Somehow the presence and warmth they have in the mids is just glorious. The bass is impressive, the most powerful of any other BT Headphone (among those  more than 30 tested) and at same time not artificially boosted, very natural.
The highs are not as dominant as in the AKG K845BT or Plantronics Backbeat Pro, I would compare them to the S1+ in quantity, but the ATH has more detail.

And, I also still prefer the Fidelio M2BT over the S1+. But in this case is more of a subjective thing, because they are more or less comparable as overall quality in what is "objective", but the Fidelio has got a much better bass (just slightly boosted, but well, not like the BeoPlay H8).
I suppose that I would put the S1+ in the top 5 in my list, but not yet sure where...

Wow, I really have to hear those. If they're better than the S1+ then I've severely underestimated the potential of BT audio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back