High End Bluetooth Headphones
Mar 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 894

n00b2

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone

I'm looking to get some high end bluetooth headphones. Something with quite good sound quality when over bluetooth and that also has a wired option for when I'm not moving around and can sit in one spot. Right not I'm looking at the Harman Kardon BT and AKG K845BT. Does anyone know how these two headphones compare? In both sound quality over bluetooth and in wired mode. Overall balance of the headphones (bass respose, recessed mids or not, etc). Also how does the comfort compare between them. I'm willing to look at other headphones too so if anyone has other suggestions let me know.

Thanks

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 894
  Hi Everyone

I'm looking to get some high end bluetooth headphones. Something with quite good sound quality when over bluetooth and that also has a wired option for when I'm not moving around and can sit in one spot. Right not I'm looking at the Harman Kardon BT and AKG K845BT. Does anyone know how these two headphones compare? In both sound quality over bluetooth and in wired mode. Overall balance of the headphones (bass respose, recessed mids or not, etc). Also how does the comfort compare between them. I'm willing to look at other headphones too so if anyone has other suggestions let me know.

Thanks

I've got both on hand XD  Overall, I'd go towards the 845BT though.  The Harman has a few issues with edgy treble that can get on your nerves quite quickly.  Although it would measure more neutral, the treble is quite peaky.  Besides that, you run into signature differences.  The BT have a larger bass body and more solid bass while the AKG have a smaller bass body that is more fluid, both have excellent depth.  The midrange of the K845 is a little warmer than that of the BT but the differences are smaller here. 

Regarding comfort, the K845's pads are entirely circular while the BT are rectangular and taller (should be better for comfort from that perspective).  However, the BT are extremely shallow pads which can cause pain and discomfort after about an hours use (keep in mind, I have smaller ears too).  For that reason, I also say to go to the K845. 

Last tidbit...  A bit of a downer with the K845 is that although it has media controls, they are extremely limited.  You can play/pause, answer and hang up calls, and control the headphone's internal volume...  There is no way to skip songs, go back, talk to Siri (or Google Now), etc...  The Harmans are able to do that. 

But for audio performance, I'd go with the K845 over the Harmans. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 894
Cheers for that. Got a few more questions.

When you say the BT have larger bass body and more solid bass do you mean it is boomy a or just it's still clear but more prominent? from your feedback I'm guessing the AKG is warmer overall? Is there much difference in sound quality between wired and wireless mode for either?

How is the isolation on both cans? I would suspect BT would be better being larger but never know. Do they both have a Mic for making calls and does it work in both wired and Bluetooth modes? Are the battery life differences really as big as they say on the website (8 vs 40)?

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 894
Cheers for that. Got a few more questions.

When you say the BT have larger bass body and more solid bass do you mean it is boomy a or just it's still clear but more prominent? from your feedback I'm guessing the AKG is warmer overall? Is there much difference in sound quality between wired and wireless mode for either?

How is the isolation on both cans? I would suspect BT would be better being larger but never know. Do they both have a Mic for making calls and does it work in both wired and Bluetooth modes? Are the battery life differences really as big as they say on the website (8 vs 40)?

Neither are boomy.  More solid means the bass has a larger body, they generally mean the same thing.  A strong bass presence and slower decay speed would describe what that is (the bass can linger).  The BT are strong with clarity, a little too strong at times. 

The AKG have a warmer midrange tone to them, while the BT have warmer bass. 

Isolation is about average for closed cans, either direction you go, they're both closed cans.  They both have microphones for answering calls.  That mic on the can will not function if its not in BT mode (that goes for both models).  If you want something, you'd have to find a compatible cable with a remote and mic.  The BT uses a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack so that may be harder to find for that.  However, the K845 uses a 3.5mm to 3.5mm, so a generic cable will work (with remote and mic) like the ones offered by V-Moda, etc. 

The BT has a much longer battery life than the AKG.  The AKG will last a full solid week of use though.  The BT...  I don't remember the last time I charged them...  But that battery lasted. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 894
Alright thanks. Looks like the AKG is the one to go for out of these 2. Also while researching the headphones I've come across the MDR-1RBT. You have any experience with these can and how they would compare to the AKG over the same properties?

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 894
Alright thanks. Looks like the AKG is the one to go for out of these 2. Also while researching the headphones I've come across the MDR-1RBT. You have any experience with these can and how they would compare to the AKG over the same properties?

I don't have experience with the MDR-1RBT, sorry. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 894

I am novice, with that said, here is my opinion.

First off, going with bluetooth, and trying to get the best sound quality in blue tooth, IMO, the phones SHOULD  have apt-x coding.. The apt-X allows more whatever to be pumped through the bluetooth, in affect giving better sound. In my novice opinion, a non aptx bluetooth headphone going up against an aptx bluetooth coded headphone is like a battle between a rifle and a pistol. The rifle should win..

My experience with bluetooth headphones. First off, my two mobile devices, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a Samsung Galaxy  10.1 2014 tablet both have the aptx codec. First, I was on to a set of Bluedio headphone which supposed to have the aptx coding. They sounded pretty good for the money ($100 to $120), however, they didn't have the aptx coding like advertised..Sent those back. Enter the Sony MDR 10RBT, which is the little brother of the Sony MDR 1RBT.  The little brother, the Sony MDR 10RBT has the aptx coding, and I caught it on sale at BestBuy for $149.95(it is on sale now but ends on Saturday coming up. IMO, for the $149.95.. The Sony MDR 10RBT is hard to beat, and mainly if you have aptx coded devices.. Lusting for more, and hearing good thing about the Sony MDR 1RBT, which cost twice as much as the Sony MDR 10RBT, I was going for that big brother. However, after reading, the big brother, the Sony MDR 1RBT does not have the aptx codec!!! No way. Then I starting looking at the Parrot  Zik, Harmon Kardon BT-Z, and the Sennheiser MM 450/500/550 X, all have the aptx coding. In the meantime, reading all the time, Sony understood the importance of the aptx coding and came out with the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2. This baby improved on a lot of things the Sony MDR 1RBT didn't have, and then added the valued aptx coding. However, they only made that version available to Asian markets. To make a long story short, I now have the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, and I am tickled pink. Also, in my ever searching and reading, I found that Harman Kardon is selling their model BT-Z, that retails for $249, they have the refurbished ones for $97 with free shipping from their online site. I quickly called them and verified their return policy (30days full refund) I pay return shipping, Also, it comes with everything. Needless to say, I ordered a pair. No way, I think these Harmon Kardons are going to beat or equal my Sonys, but if they come close, and they do have the aptx coding they will be keepers..

My advice to you, if you have not already made a choice, get the Sony MDR 10RBT from Bestbuy by this Saturday, that will cost you $149.95. Then order the Harmon Kardon BT-Z for $97 free shipping from Harmon Kardon.. IMO, you are going to have two good examples of over the ear bluetooth headphones for $250. Use them for a week, and return both or one. Then, try out the higher end boys, the 550 X, and if you want go with what I got, the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2.. Again, anything you get with bluetooth, at this stage of the game, shoiuld have the aptx coding..In the meantime, I am in "bluetooth heaven" with my Sony MDR 1RBT MK2s..

beyersmile.png

Luck to you,

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 894
  I am novice, with that said, here is my opinion.

First off, going with bluetooth, and trying to get the best sound quality in blue tooth, IMO, the phones SHOULD  have apt-x coding.. The apt-X allows more whatever to be pumped through the bluetooth, in affect giving better sound. In my novice opinion, a non aptx bluetooth headphone going up against an aptx bluetooth coded headphone is like a battle between a rifle and a pistol. The rifle should win..

My experience with bluetooth headphones. First off, my two mobile devices, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a Samsung Galaxy  10.1 2014 tablet both have the aptx codec. First, I was on to a set of Bluedio headphone which supposed to have the aptx coding. They sounded pretty good for the money ($100 to $120), however, they didn't have the aptx coding like advertised..Sent those back. Enter the Sony MDR 10RBT, which is the little brother of the Sony MDR 1RBT.  The little brother, the Sony MDR 10RBT has the aptx coding, and I caught it on sale at BestBuy for $149.95(it is on sale now but ends on Saturday coming up. IMO, for the $149.95.. The Sony MDR 10RBT is hard to beat, and mainly if you have aptx coded devices.. Lusting for more, and hearing good thing about the Sony MDR 1RBT, which cost twice as much as the Sony MDR 10RBT, I was going for that big brother. However, after reading, the big brother, the Sony MDR 1RBT does not have the aptx codec!!! No way. Then I starting looking at the Parrot  Zik, Harmon Kardon BT-Z, and the Sennheiser MM 450/500/550 X, all have the aptx coding. In the meantime, reading all the time, Sony understood the importance of the aptx coding and came out with the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2. This baby improved on a lot of things the Sony MDR 1RBT didn't have, and then added the valued aptx coding. However, they only made that version available to Asian markets. To make a long story short, I now have the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, and I am tickled pink. Also, in my ever searching and reading, I found that Harman Kardon is selling their model BT-Z, that retails for $249, they have the refurbished ones for $97 with free shipping from their online site. I quickly called them and verified their return policy (30days full refund) I pay return shipping, Also, it comes with everything. Needless to say, I ordered a pair. No way, I think these Harmon Kardons are going to beat or equal my Sonys, but if they come close, and they do have the aptx coding they will be keepers..

My advice to you, if you have not already made a choice, get the Sony MDR 10RBT from Bestbuy by this Saturday, that will cost you $149.95. Then order the Harmon Kardon BT-Z for $97 free shipping from Harmon Kardon.. IMO, you are going to have two good examples of over the ear bluetooth headphones for $250. Use them for a week, and return both or one. Then, try out the higher end boys, the 550 X, and if you want go with what I got, the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2.. Again, anything you get with bluetooth, at this stage of the game, shoiuld have the aptx coding..In the meantime, I am in "bluetooth heaven" with my Sony MDR 1RBT MK2s..

beyersmile.png

Luck to you,

Thanks for your suggestions and I wish it were that simple for me as to try everything out then return the ones I don't like. I don't live in America however. Where I'm from most stores wone let you return used headphones for hygiene reasons. The only company that seems to allow it is BOSE and that too only from the BOSE store. I haven't found anyone with either the Harman Kardon or the AKG on display for testing either. I might be able to find a Sony if I look hard enough but then I'll have nothing to compare it to. I don't really want to go down the route of buying headphones then selling them on eBay 2 days later and hoping to cut my losses. When your Harman Kardon arrives can you let me know what you think of it compared to the 1RBT and 10RBT, both over apt-x, standard bluetooth and via cable if possible?

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 894

Thanks for your suggestions and I wish it were that simple for me as to try everything out then return the ones I don't like. I don't live in America however. Where I'm from most stores wone let you return used headphones for hygiene reasons. The only company that seems to allow it is BOSE and that too only from the BOSE store. I haven't found anyone with either the Harman Kardon or the AKG on display for testing either. I might be able to find a Sony if I look hard enough but then I'll have nothing to compare it to. I don't really want to go down the route of buying headphones then selling them on eBay 2 days later and hoping to cut my losses. When your Harman Kardon arrives can you let me know what you think of it compared to the 1RBT and 10RBT, both over apt-x, standard bluetooth and via cable if possible?

Well, if that is the case, and from you thread title "Looking for High End".. You can look at the reviews on youtube, and pick from there. Yes, I do have the return option available to me, but my main source of finding out what to get was reading forums like this..I am quite sure the Parrot Ziks and the Sennheiser MM550-X will meet your high end needs. On the same token, I can almost say for certain that the Sony MDR 10RBT is about the best deal for the money. Your topic says high end. All high end have high prices.. So, I am reluctant include the lower price good ones in my recommendation. Sure, I will post up when I get the Harmon Kardon, IMO, the Sony MDR  10RBT is hot item for $149.95

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 894
  Well, if that is the case, and from you thread title "Looking for High End".. You can look at the reviews on youtube, and pick from there. Yes, I do have the return option available to me, but my main source of finding out what to get was reading forums like this..I am quite sure the Parrot Ziks and the Sennheiser MM550-X will meet your high end needs. On the same token, I can almost say for certain that the Sony MDR 10RBT is about the best deal for the money. Your topic says high end. All high end have high prices.. So, I am reluctant include the lower price good ones in my recommendation. Sure, I will post up when I get the Harmon Kardon, IMO, the Sony MDR  10RBT is hot item for $149.95

Same reason I am asking on here, seems to get a more balanced comparison on foums rather than official reviews (unless the same reviewer has tried both). Was looking for suggestions and have got a few to research now. I meant high end in terms of sound quality (for bluetooth). If the 10RBT is almost as good as models double the price I will definitely consider it.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 894
You have any experience with this model? How is the sound quality and comfort overall?

The Phiaton model is a brighter model overall. The bass isn't as big or present as the Harmon or AKG. The upside to them is that they offer active noise canceling (which could be a decent feature, though I rarely use it). It is an on ear model, not over ear.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 894
  Same reason I am asking on here, seems to get a more balanced comparison on foums rather than official reviews (unless the same reviewer has tried both). Was looking for suggestions and have got a few to research now. I meant high end in terms of sound quality (for bluetooth). If the 10RBT is almost as good as models double the price I will definitely consider it.

Good reasoning. You might get a treat on these.  As you can see, I am a newbie with headphones, and my only reason for even considering headphones was because of my mobile devices. Also, my mobile devices could be considered "high end" and they both have the aptx coding. This weekend before the sale at Bestbuy is over with, I am strongly considering repurchasing the the Sony MDR 10RBT for the $149.95 again. They can go to my wife, if she stops being me.. 
beyersmile.png
  That will allow me to do a right after another comparison of the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 and the Sony 10RBT. Also, after this Monday I will be able to throw the Harmon Kardon in the comparison too. Even from my not right after one another comparison of the two Sonys, I am sure the Sony 10RBT is going to the be the winner in the "value for money"  and the Sony 1RBTMK2 is going to be the best sounding..I paid $309 + $25 total of $334 for the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 delivered to my door. The average price of the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 is about $400, I had to catch them on sale to get that price.  Even the sale price is TWICE plus more then the price of the Sony MDR 10RBT.. 

There is a thread here that a poster did a comparison between to the Sony MDR 10RBT and the Sony MDR 1RBT. The poster gave the cheaper one very high ratings and the point that the cheaper one had aptx, and improved on  some things the higher Sony didn't have.. All this supports my opinion that the the Sony MDR 10RBT for $149.95 is the best deal going for a bluetooth over the ear headphone..The MK2s are better, but for the price I paid for the MK2s, I could purchase two pair of Sony MDR 10RBT, and still have about $40 or $50 over.. That is a big point..

This morning, I hit the gym with my Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, I had a ball.. Music coming through my ear so sharp, it almost cutting my ear, and all the loud-talking-big-mouth-show-offs at the gym were non-existent to me.. Even though these are not the noise canceling version, they do a lot of noise cancelling. .

Here is that very informative thread with a comparison of the Sony MDR 10RBT and the Sony MDR 1RBT... Not the MK2..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690805/looking-for-bluetooth-headphones-sony-mdr-1rbt-or-sony-mdr-10rbt/15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back