High efficiency floor standers $2-3K used
May 23, 2005 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I'm looking to replace my VR-1s next school year with a floor standing speaker. I want somethingn that is very efficient 90dB sensitivity plus as I will be driving it with a 25 watt/ch el84 tube amp. Don't want to spend more then $3K with shipping and would probably prefer to keep it less.

I've read particularly good things about the Coincident Super Eclipse with my VTL TT-25 mono blocks and I know another head-fier who owns a pair and loves them in a very similar setup as mine.

I don't want to sacrifice bass performance but want to stop using my sub for music and move that to my theather, so efficiency is going to be crucial.

What do you guys recommend?

May 23, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 16
If you have patience, wait around for a used Merlin VSM-SE. They sometimes pop up at under $3K, and I highly recommend them. I know it's stretching your budget a bit, but these will likely serve as your reference for many, many years. With all due respect to Coincident owners, the Merlins absolutely trounce the Coincidents in every department except the deepest (20-30hz) bass.

May 23, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 16
wow! I've heard of merlin but I didn't know anything about them until now. I just skimmed about 15 glowing audioasylum reviews and am now VERY intrigued. I've never seen a product so gushed over. I'll do some investigating there and see if I can't set up an audition.

May 26, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 16
You have quite a few options in the $3000 used market...

The Merlin recomendation is a good one. Also a pair of Legacy Audio Focus' can be had for 3K and they are fantastic (and as I recall around 92 for efficiency - but dont quote me)
icon10.gif

Cheers,
Jeremy

May 26, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I remember reading a VERY positive review indeed about a pair of high-efficiency floorstanders from Merlin. Let me see if I can dig up the review for you...

Just go to AA dude. So many merlin fanboys there.

May 26, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm not sure there are many fans of Klipschorns here, but I have heard they are legendary. They are insanely efficient (way over 100spl/w), and have good bass. You just need two good corners and you are set.

May 26, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 16
Von Schweikert VR-4s (originals, gen II, gen III) are pretty highly regarded and sell used in the 2K plus range. 92-93 dB efficiency, can go sub 30 Hz.

May 26, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 16
I didn't know about this speaker until I browsed audiogon a bit for ya, but this new speaker line from Avalon looks pretty cool. Avalon NP 2.0? I can't find any reviews or anything but the price is right. I'm pretty confident they must be good coming from Avalon. 94dB sensitivity.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1121453995

May 26, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 16
After a lengthy talk with the girlfriend last night she convinced me to lower my budget substantially from $3k. I'm probably gonna want to limit my buget to $2,000 give or take a hundred or so.

These options all seem very interesting to me so far. I'm a bit apprehensive about the Klipshes as they seem to be love it or hate it speakers.

The Avalon speakers referenced are the NP 2.0s right? I didn't see anything called NT and NP is the link referenced. They look interesting though I must admit there is something about their finish that doesn't tickle me well. Also, they seem really light for floor standers (39lbs each). I'll have to do some reading on them.

The Legacys are gorgous speakers I would love to have, but doubt I could get them closer to $2K (especially considering they're 400lbs to ship!). Also, I've got a 25 watt triode for amplification. They certainly are sensitive enough, but the 4ohm impedance might be a bit rough.

May 26, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

These options all seem very interesting to me so far. I'm a bit apprehensive about the Klipshes as they seem to be love it or hate it speakers.

True,your electronics will have no where to hide and any problem areas if on the hard side will be brutally exposed.If you consider the longevity factor only something that brings a specail thing to the party would last as long and have such a following.If i were to describe the sound in a word it would be "lively" because for me personally they bring a part of the event home to my listening room that other speakers have not and i have had some good ones.
Money no option i would look at a full Edgar system but withing my budgetary limitations it is Klipsch.

You really need to do a listen before deciding.If there is a thing that must be interviewed"live and in person" it is loudspeakers with CDs you know intimately.
I would never even conceive of making a speaker selection solely on a recommendation alone.Never have since being a teenager and spending large for my first pair of JBL L100s ($300 smackers each was a lot back in 1978) and never will,not ever.

May 27, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I remember reading a VERY positive review indeed about a pair of high-efficiency floorstanders from Merlin. Let me see if I can dig up the review for you...

Todd R is carrying them in the Mall-Fi forum. He's one of our sponsors.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...36#post1405736

If you can find a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethovens which come and go at Audiogon, they would fit in the $2-$3k range, and I, and all people who have been to my house, can swear by them. They are magnificent!!!

beethoven_maple_gp.jpg

[size=medium]EDIT[/size]: For example...there's a pair in black(which is already sold) going for $1950
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1121268864

May 28, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
The Legacys are gorgous speakers I would love to have, but doubt I could get them closer to $2K (especially considering they're 400lbs to ship!).

You can get the classics for ~$1800 used... Not quite as pretty, but sound good.
biggrin.gif

The 4 ohms may indeed be a problem.

Good luck in your search!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back