high bandwidth digital output
Sep 4, 2002 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
Something I've been wondering about lately was brought back to my attention by the RIAA thread, but rather than crap on the already craptacular RIAA thread I figure I'll start a new one.

Last time I checked (a while ago, I confess), no SACD or DVD Audio player would pass a high bandwidth digital signal to a decoder -- meaning, you have to rely on the perhaps mediocre DACs in the player. I believe 96khz audio is downsampled to 48khz when passed through the digital output. The reason, I believe, was piracy concerns.

The question: Is this still the case? Is there an SACD or DVD-A player that passes a pure, unadulterated "high def" audio signal?

Sep 6, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 3
No, this is no longer the case. Pioneer, for example, are updating their DV-47A player to "DV-47Ai" status, and one of the updates is a digital interface, to connect to their multi-channel receivers, presumably. It's basically dual Firewire. This is by no means a standard yet, that has to be shaken out, but I (and everyone knows how much the companies listen to me) am leaning towards this dual Firewire thingy.

Here is Pioneer's press release on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back