HIFIME 9018D USB DAC
Apr 13, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 75
Looking forward to picking this Dac up very soon, spoke to Nick from Hifime and he thinks the D can put out a tonne of power:

"The 9018D can power any load from 16 ohm. At line level (above 1K) the output is 3Vrms which is a strong line level signal.
The 9018 can also drive line loads, signal is 1Vrms at line level which is still within line level range."

Nick.

Should be interesting!

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #17 of 75
  Looking forward to picking this Dac up very soon, spoke to Nick from Hifime and he thinks the D can put out a tonne of power:

"The 9018D can power any load from 16 ohm. At line level (above 1K) the output is 3Vrms which is a strong line level signal.
The 9018 can also drive line loads, signal is 1Vrms at line level which is still within line level range."

Nick.

Should be interesting!

Hello Volly, The D has some power but I would still recommend getting an external amp to drive high impedance headphones to their full potential. Please see my review for more info:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifime-9018d-asynchronous-high-resolution-usb-dac/reviews/12903

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 75

Hello Volly, The D has some power but I would still recommend getting an external amp to drive high impedance headphones to their full potential. Please see my review for more info:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifime-9018d-asynchronous-high-resolution-usb-dac/reviews/12903

Thanks Boris, had a read and loved the review! :D

Definitely going to try out the D now!

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #22 of 75
Yes, it's the chip i refered before. This has not a line out straight from the DAC. But i believe the chip is kind of neutral in modifying the sound, probably with almost no foot trace. I have mine conected to a FiiO E12A, no problem. But I have the regular 9018, this is the D version. I don't need a volume controler at DAC level, I use the knob on the E12A. The regular version also has less output power than the 9018D. Great sound!

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #23 of 75
i have the hifimediy asynchronus dac sabre u2 ... is there a great difference in sound with this one the 9018 version?  is this an upgrade ? the difference in price is 32 dollars.....
confused.gif

May 4, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #24 of 75
Anyone know how to change the filter? According to their page :
 Filter adjustment The ES9018K2M support selection of PCM filter frequency response. Chose between Fast and Slow roll-off. See this illustration (link).
Hold the right button while power on to select the roll-off.:
- Long press will set default (Fast roll-off) while a short press will set it to Slow roll-off

But pressing the right button while power is on of course act as volume up and I don't hear any difference or see any indication of the change.
confused_face_2.gif

Edit: Never mind, they mean to press the button while powering on (when you first connect the USB and it shows 8888 on the screen) if you press the proper button it'll show S.L.O in the display (they said right button but it was the left in my case).

I think the slow filter isn't as bright as the default.

May 4, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #25 of 75
  Anyone know how to change the filter? According to their page :

But pressing the right button while power is on of course act as volume up and I don't hear any difference or see any indication of the change.
confused_face_2.gif

It works during boot. The first couple of seconds while you plug in the device the functions of the volume knobs are different. The aural differences are very subtle between fast and slow roll off.

May 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #26 of 75

It works during boot. The first couple of seconds while you plug in the device the functions of the volume knobs are different. The aural differences are very subtle between fast and slow roll off.

Yeah, just realized when I finished typing that lol. I think the upper high is a bit tamed with the slow filter. It's subtle but enough for me to appreciate the change. I like it. :D

May 4, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #27 of 75

Yeah, just realized when I finished typing that lol. I think the upper high is a bit tamed with the slow filter. It's subtle but enough for me to appreciate the change. I like it. :D

I leave it at slow as well to tame the upper highs and quite like this function. How do you like the 9018D? I thinks it's really nice for the price!

May 4, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #28 of 75

I leave it at slow as well to tame the upper highs and quite like this function. How do you like the 9018D? I thinks it's really nice for the price!

I don't have any other comparison beside my old desktop dac amp and my laptop's sc but it's quite clearly several steps up from my laptop's. Really really nice, especially with the form factor, which is truly small!

By the way, does it remember the filter or do I have to set it up every time it's powered on?

May 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #29 of 75

I don't have any other comparison beside my old desktop dac amp and my laptop's sc but it's quite clearly several steps up from my laptop's. Really really nice, especially with the form factor, which is truly small!

By the way, does it remember the filter or do I have to set it up every time it's powered on?

It remembers the settings. Enjoy the 9018D!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back