Hifimann He-560 vs Audeze EL-8 (open)
Jan 22, 2016 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Written for the benefit of anyone who is considering ither of these 2 headphones and wants to know ......

Now...keeping it simple... for the sake of clarity..

I dont think you can find 2 more different sounding headphones.
The He560 is as opposite a sound from the Audeze EL-8O as i could ever dream of comparing.
They are black to white, Ying to Yang,  .....incredibly opposite sounds.

Now the fact is, music lives in the midrange but the details live in the treble.
So, THAT is always the give and take, the missing link, the "issue", when listening to and comparing quality sounding headphones that dont quite satisfy.
At the end of the day, if the headphones do not sound really good, then all chatter about depth and soundstage and articulation and amazing bass and so forth, really doesn't matter.
See, if your headphones are articulate, have a wide soundstage, are comfy, but their sound SUCKS, then you have nothing but wasted money strapped to your ears.
So, with this it mind, let me give you some insight regarding these polar opposite but fine sounding headphones, and i'll be brief.

The HE560 is like listening to a laser, or a microscope, as its so clearly designed to be "utter" detail, that it forgets to offer you any musical midrange.
It really has a harsh-ish Grado like treble that is not balanced with enough midrange info so that you get a sense of musicality or beauty when you listen.
You do however get some 3D and one of the most analytical and detailed headphone ever created, and based on that merit alone, the headphone is perhaps worth the money.
Im still debating this over time and i have a real love-hate relationship with this set of headphones, at this time.
So,  if you want smooth, or warm, or rich, sound your headphones, then the HE560 offers NONE of this....at all.
Its a trebly spiked ultra detail machine with a nicely "added on"  excellent bass response.
And its comfy., and its expensive, and it has a cool cheap wooden wood box that it's shipped in.
To say the HE560 is "thin" in the midrange, is to be very kind indeed.

Now, lets look at the polar opposite sound, = Audeze EL8o.
This headphone is the juicy lush midrange that Fang forgot to include in his HE560s.
The Audeze EL8 has such a BEAUTIFUL and organic analog sound that you can almost forget that the upper frequencies are quite dialed back.
You can almost forget.
But you never quite do.
I have to say that if if were not for the slightly missing high end that reduces these fine cans strictly to the world of the sweet and rich round sound, they would perhaps be the best sounding headphone for $1000, and certainly @ $700 USD they are the most analog sounding you'll find, BUT, the cost to get that sound is that you
lose enough detail in the high end that matters toooo much.
You listen to the Audeze EL8o and you keep thinking...."wow, if it just had more detail, detail, detail, detail....as it sounds so good.""

So, put some of that HE560 extreme detail in the Audeze EL-8o, or put some of that amazingly organic-y analogy mid bliss offered in the EL-8o into the ultra thin mids of the HE560, and THEN in both cases you have a stupendous headphone, perhaps, the best.
But being that this is not the case, you end up with what i consider nearly fatal flaws regarding both cans.

FB1

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 8
I just read your post. I am glad I did.
I was interested in these exact 2 headphones.
I really like the HE-500 and was looking for my next upgrade.
What are your favorite headphones and Amps now?
Thank you,
Arrowmark

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 8
I just read your post. I am glad I did.
I was interested in these exact 2 headphones.
I really like the HE-500 and was looking for my next upgrade.
What are your favorite headphones and Amps now?
Thank you,
Arrowmark

If you like the HE-500, then the Audeze is going to be more similar in sound.
The HE-560 is a generally better resolution headphone, but it does have significantly more treble exposure then the HE500 or the Audeze EL-8o.

My Fav headphone, currently is the ATech R70x, as it does everything right.
Its slightly comparable to the HD-650, but has more width and depth of soundstage, and has a different type of bass experience, in that it has more extension but not necessarily more db.
What i discovered about the HE650, is that the louder  you play it the more annoying the treble extension becomes.
And, the HE560 is one of those open headphones that begs to be played loudly as its very very revealing.
So, at a moderate volume, its much better, in my opinion, because this does not create such an overbearing treble experience.

Amp wise, the Tascam UH-7000 is unbeatable as an affordable dac-amp + more.
For example, it sounds better then the Chord Mojo and cost quite a bit less and offers a real volume knob.

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 8
One thing not so will known is the EL8 Titanium has updated drivers compared to both EL8 open and EL8 closed. They were also released later and had some other tuning improvements.

The results are much more details. People get stuck on the fact that they are designed for Apple Lighting iPhones/iPads.
You can also EQ Them with the Audeze App and this change is set on the Headphones if you use lighting or standard 3.5mm headphones connection.

I agree that the EL8 open has some missing details, but the EL8 Titanium are perfectly balanced. Better than the current LCD 2.2f in my opinion.

Nice base punch on the El8 Titanium's compared to el8 open.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 8
One thing not so will known is the EL8 Titanium has updated drivers compared to both EL8 open and EL8 closed. They were also released later and had some other tuning improvements.

The results are much more details. People get stuck on the fact that they are designed for Apple Lighting iPhones/iPads.
You can also EQ Them with the Audeze App and this change is set on the Headphones if you use lighting or standard 3.5mm headphones connection.

I agree that the EL8 open has some missing details, but the EL8 Titanium are perfectly balanced. Better than the current LCD 2.2f in my opinion.

Nice base punch on the El8 Titanium's compared to el8 open.

It is my understanding that the 2016 revision of the el-8 closed and open have the same tech as in the Titanium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back