Hifiman TWS600 - First Impression
Sep 22, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #196 of 240
Got the tws600 as part of loaner tour. With no EQand stock tips, I'd do t like them at all. I moved to comply tips and massive bass boost to get them to sound pretty decent, but with that, they sound pretty damn good. I'm going to grab. Pair of sonys at best buy and do an a/b with them later today.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #197 of 240
The TWS600 are hit and miss, with the foam tips I personally really enjoy their more neutral sound signature. However the midrange is not that linear and the lows are lacking a bit of body.

https://soundperfectionreviews.com/review-hifiman-tws600-true-wireless-earphones/

DSC_5992.jpg

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #198 of 240
Wrapping up my 2 weeks on the loaner tour with the TWS 600, and here are my final thoughts:

Pros:
Connection quality - I didn't lose connection once over the two weeks I had them. The buds did desynchronize at one point, but that was a quick and easy fix. Walked around my open office space frequently at work and never ran into choppy connection or interference once.
Case - Just threw it in my bag and didn't think about it. They required a charge once a week over the two week loaner period and the case never unexpectedly opened. Loved the heft of the case too as I dropped it on my desk and didn't have to worry about it moving.
Battery - Beats some TWS, falls behind others, but I found that I never actually ran them down. I was doubting this at first, but I'm glad to know that others in the 3-5 hour range will suit me just fine
Fit: Where others had complaints, I didn't find any issue with the fit, fortunately.

Cons:
Sound: I'm not sure if it was just the set I received, but everything sounded extremely veiled. It was as though somebody had placed a blanket over the driver.
Bass: I can normally forgive a headphone for being bass-light...but there is just no bass.

Overall impressions:
Coming in to this loaner tour, I was really just looking to test more of the options out there. The Sony WF-X1000M3 didn't wow me and the bose soundsport reminded me of just about any $50 earbud sound-wise. I was really hoping that Hifiman would finally be delivering audiophile quality sound in this emerging market. To say I was underwhelmed may be an understatement. I don't know if I had my hopes up extremely high for these and they failed to live up, or if I'm just expecting too much out of the power delivery the TWS market is able to deliver. Overall, setup was a breeze. Paired with my Fiio M11 and OnePlus 6T with no issues and didn't drop connection the entire time I had them. I made a few calls and the microphones sounded fine to each of the call recipients, so no complaints on that front. The issue comes when going to listen to music which is where I feel a majority of people are going to be looking toward this set. A couple of notes from some notable tracks:

"Renegade" by Styx: The intro for this track is notable for the ominous vocals over pumping bass leading into the extremely energetic first verse. The vocals sounded alright, if a little veiled, but when I was sitting waiting for the bass drum, there was nothing....and I couldn't EQ these enough to make it present either. This isn't normally one of my testing tracks, but I spent my entire first day on shuffle and it was the first track to pop up. I tested with this track toward the end of the loaner period again to confirm it wasn't just an issue of break-in (HifiMan suggests 20 hours of break-in and I listened for around 60 hours total in my time with them) and there was no improvement.

"Don't Gotta Work It Out" by Fitz and The Tantrums: This song has an authoritative honking tenor sax throughout the intro and chorus. It's one of my favorite tracks for highlighting the lower end of the mid-range. The tenor sax really just didn't have any punch and was heavily drowned out by the vocals.

"Problem" by Ariana Grande: Ariana's not one of my preferred artists, but she has a vocal run leading into the chorus in this track that runs from the middle to the top of her mid range and leads to one of the absolute best bass drops in pop music this decade. On this set, her run is fantastic, and when you expect the bass, it just doesn't show up.

"The Raiders March" by John Williams: Telling that this would not suit much pop/rock with the lack of bass, I decided to test with some film soundtracks. This being one of the most notable themes of the 20th Century seemed like a fitting track. Again, bass is just barely present throughout, but the horn section does sound very good on this driver.

After extended listening, again, I don't think I can recommend this set as currently tuned. Everybody has their preferred sound, but I had friends and family test as well, and nobody could listen to more than a couple of tracks before they had moved back to their preferred earbuds or airpods. Hopefully a future revision can bring forward a better tuning, because other than that, I was extremely pleased with the package. Accessories were fine (Though I did find that my preferred tips improved sound ever so slightly over any of the packaged tips) and build quality was fantastic.

I would like to thank HifiMan for the opportunity to test on the loaner tour and communicating well running up to the process.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #199 of 240
Oct 30, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #200 of 240
Hi there,

Here are my short impressions about the HiFiMAN TWS600 :slight_smile:

The HiFiMAN TWS600 is a true wireless IEM with a mid-centric presentation, which shows an opposite tuning compared to many other TWS IEM’s who are offering a V-shaped presentation.

The midrange clarity/detail retrieval and the bass speed are remarkable features in terms of sound performance, while the strange tonality will disappoint consumers who are looking for a tuning with lots of bass and treble boost.

The stylish look, good battery performance and signal strength are also some remarkable features of the TWS600.

Pros & Cons:
  • + Midrange Clarity & Detail
  • + Bass Speed
  • + Stylish Design
  • + Battery Life & Signal Strength
  • – Bass & Treble Roll-Off
  • – Upper Midrange Boost & Overall Tonality
  • – Only AAC and SBC support

Review Link: https://moonstarreviews.net/hifiman-tws600-true-wireless-iem-review/

20190918_193714.jpg 20190918_193953.jpg 20190918_195452.jpg 20190918_213727.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #201 of 240
My first impressions

I received them on friday, due to my busy schedule, I just had a chance to give them a test run (4 days later). Here are my thoughts so far:

Pros:
  • Very sturdy and solid case
  • Earbuds don't look as big (don't poke out as much as I thought it will) while i'm wearing them
  • Easy pairing (pretty much effortless)
  • Strong Mids
  • Great fit (never felt at any point that it will dropout of my ears)
Cons:
  • Have to send out a search report for the Bass
  • No sparkle to the highs, pretty much rolled off
  • Kind of ugly design (looks like the terminator)
On my first listen I was really not impressed with the sound signature (I personally own a pair of Meze Audio 99 classics, JH Audio Roxannes, and my baby AAW W900 customs). I really don't think it's worth the price tag. I had to really stick with them for long listening sessions for my ears to adjust to the signature. The mids are definitely present and drown out the highs and the lows. There is no sparkle to the highs and no depth to the lows. I love the fit and the strong build quality, but I'm really not impressed at all at the sound (knowing that it carries the Hifiman branding. was expecting much more. Especially coming fresh off of the Empire Ears Legend X tour (maybe this had something to do with it?). Guess I'll pass on this one and save my coins for someone to really knock true wireless earbuds out the park.

I really appreciate HIFIMAN for including me in this tour and I would love to be a part of any other tours in the future. I Truly hope HIFIMAN can get it together and develop an exceptional product and by addressing the flaws stated in this thread.

PS.... Add some Sparkle in the Highs, More rumble and extension in the Bass, and make a more beautiful design?

PSS.... If anyone is looking for True wireless earbuds with strong clear mids and hates bass then maybe you want to check these out.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #202 of 240
z8z4bischtb41.jpg
I got mine and found them to be super mid forward , a big peak around 1k to 4k and lacking bass . This can be fixed by EQ and DSP bass enhancement . I also found them to be extremely finicky with the tips used . I use foam tips 4.9mm but I cut off 1/3 of them to get the driver closer to the ear and they sound better now . They do have a good driver but I think they can't get any better because it's an amplifier / hardware limitation .

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_165546.jpg
    IMG_20200119_165546.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #204 of 240
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #205 of 240
The TWS600 are hit and miss, with the foam tips I personally really enjoy their more neutral sound signature. However the midrange is not that linear and the lows are lacking a bit of body.

https://soundperfectionreviews.com/review-hifiman-tws600-true-wireless-earphones/

Oscar - just read your review:

Mids: The midrange is quite forward on the TWS600 with a slight upper-midrange lift.

Given that spike is 20dB - what would you call more than "slight"? Just curious.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #206 of 240

Given that spike is 20dB - what would you call more than "slight"? Just curious.
@Brooko, on your rig how high is the spike relative to something like the etymotic er4s?

Surprising that Hifiman would question your measurements; it clearly matches the signature and is consistent with just about every other measurement I've seen. In fact the main difference as far as I can tell is that most other measurements roll off the sub bass to an extent that I do not hear. Your measurement of a more linear bass is in line with what I hear with a good seal, but I guess the spike subjectively throws things off a bit.

It is troubling to me that Hifiman could not determine that a problem existed prior to release either by measuring or just listening!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #207 of 240
Unfortunately never had the Etys to test.

I just found Crinns graph though - so I could check the amplitude of the rise (here for anyone interested). Crinn shows about 18dB. Mine is ~ 18-19 db. So I think we can call this one what it is ......

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #208 of 240

If you can get some foam tips on them it might help attenuate it a little.

Also wear canal shape can change things slightly too.

I agree with your measurements but subjectively I didn't find them fatiguing. I didn't back my review up with a graph as I based it on listening to them.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #209 of 240
If you can get some foam tips on them it might help attenuate it a little.

Also wear canal shape can change things slightly too.

I agree with your measurements but subjectively I didn't find them fatiguing. I didn't back my review up with a graph as I based it on listening to them.
They were measured with foam. It seals in the coupler better and gives a much better result. I also listened to them. Without EQ, they aren’t a pleasant sounding IEM. Crinn in full agreement, as are others I trust (similar tastes I guess). Was just wondering where your threshold was. Given our high sensitivity in the 1-3 kHz area, I’ve often wondered why people put a massive peak there and call it good. Couple that with the missing bass, and you have a bit of a mess really.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #210 of 240
Unfortunately never had the Etys to test.

I just found Crinns graph though - so I could check the amplitude of the rise (here for anyone interested). Crinn shows about 18dB. Mine is ~ 18-19 db. So I think we can call this one what it is ......
Thanks. Once again, not questioning the measurement, but wondering how it compares to thaf of the neutrally tuned ety's.

Took a quick look at a few er4s graphs on line. I realize that comparing graphs from different rigs is a "no-no", but in general they appear to have a much broader rise of about 10db centered at 3khz. This suggests that Hifiman spiked these at too low a frequency and by too much. It's almost like the entire midrange to treble response needs to be shifted up by about 1.4khz and the spike dialed back in amplitude.

Despite this, what is interesting is that for these to sound neutral to me the level of EQ I need to apply when using spin fit tips is much less than the spike suggests. For example, on the Jet Audio+ Eq app on my Samsung Note 10+ I'm +2db at 60hz +1 dB at 100 hz, -2db at 1khz, -4db at 1.8k, -2db at 3.4k, -1db at 5.7k and +2db at 13k. Pulling the EQ down any further at 1.8khz causes the signature to loose a bit of clarity/jump factor for me. As always, ymmv.

Within my listening parameters I still enjoy these for what they are especially when EQ'd. Curious to see how and when Hifiman will respond with a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back