HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #17,311 of 25,549
Time to get serious now: OOR and tomorrow i will give my Hegel H190 a go to see if great speaker amps can really make the Susvara sound at their very best.
EFD3351C-31CD-4D73-8B64-B767D4BAA138.JPG5546ED1D-EE51-45B4-B2FC-CAE19B8E7111.JPG
How did you like the Hegel amp?

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #17,312 of 25,549
After my first Susvara experience a couple weeks ago I can’t get it out of my head. I’m now seriously considering buying one. I found the iFi Diablo pairing pretty solid for a transportable option so that’s what I would use on the go. But for desktop my CMA400i is not powerful enough.

Anyone try the HiFiMan EF400 pairing?

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #17,313 of 25,549
I have just joined the family of Susvara. I have Audio-GD HE-9 and R7-HE as the amplifier and source. I owned Utopia and now have another level of enjoyment.
hows the audio gd?i just orded a pair of master 2A mono but might need to save up for a dac. i was originally eyeing holo spring 3 but after watching ans hearing goldenone on youtube abt denafrips terminator plus..i really really like that compared to his review on spring 3. but the unfortunate thing is terminator plus doesnt have a preamp option so i need to buy another preamp. which is going to double to triple the cost of a spring3 with preamp module....
annoying...all your fault susvara!

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #17,314 of 25,549
Ok... After 4 days, my Supernait 2 integrated and Hi-Cap (a massive separate PSU for Supernaits pure class A pre-amp section) have finally revealed their true character with my Susvara's...

H*&Y S#*T, SO MUCH MUSIC, SPACE, RESOLUTION, SPEED, PRAT, SUB...

I knew my SN2 was finicky, and I was right. Still, I was underwhelmed at first.

Having no XLR input, I first tried the regular RCA input on the Super for my Holo May dac: not that impressive, loads of transistor-hum, very typical for Naim. This noise was on the edge of audible at normal volume. Clearly the Supernait 80watt power/60A current outputs had way more control, speed and extension, but the soundstage felt limited and the overall sound was dry. It was hardly bigger than the Topping A90. I thought this was it and I needed to look for alternatives.

Thank god I tried the DIN input with an RCA adapter, noise is only barely audible at double volume. The DIN input sounded clearly better.

More importantly, the SN2 was powered off for 2 years, I did not realise it needed to break-in again like new. In the last 24 hours it has come alive.

I must say now with subtle Roon EQ tweaks and upsampled to 768khz at Mays native 20 bitdepth with HQplayer 'Poly-Sync-Long-mp' filter: wow, wow, wow... This filter is designed to optimise transient response. Will make a seperate post detailing my EQ and HQplayer setting if folks are interested.

The combination of Roon EQ, HQPlayer upsampling and Supernaits power output has transformed my Susvara. It is now supremely musical, dynamic, spacious and even 'aggressive' when called for.

This is peak PRaT.

Every single note, hit, and sound is so expressive and seductive. Amazing. It feels like the Abyss 1266, Arya and Susvara, got drunk, had a threesome and a magical superpower baby headphone was born.
Are you still using this setup for the Susvara's? You think a Supernait 1 would be close to the sound you get with the 2 or 3? Thanks.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #17,315 of 25,549
Anyone can compare the Enleum Amp-23r vs AHB2 running off a Dave? Thanks.

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #17,316 of 25,549
Anyone can compare the Enleum Amp-23r vs AHB2 running off a Dave? Thanks.
Yup I've owned both.

The 23R is coloured and warm trying to sound tubey with amazing tonal density and weight to instruments and notes. Transients are softer than typical solid state amps. Overall a very smooth and non fatiguing listen with very impressive bass but the midrange is pretty flat sounding. This is a love it or hate it amp for sure.

AHB2 sounds bigger (has the biggest soundstage I've heard for susvara) and more airy but lacks the tonal density and warmth of the 23R and just is straight up neutral. Not as clinical sounding as a Benchmark HPA4 but for some people this can be a boring amp but for technicalities it's amazing. Pairs very well with susvara.

If you want a more reference listen go for the ahb2 and if you want a more coloured sound go for the 23R. The oor and hypsos is in the middle of both of them regarding sound signature and is slightly warm but has much faster and sharper transients than the 23R and a sweeter tonality than the AHB2 but soundtage size is smaller than both AHB2 and OOR and hypsos.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #17,317 of 25,549
Thank you for your detailed response. I’ll basically be running and LPS modded Dave for the time being. I’ll check the Hegel amps. Don’t want the sound the resulting sound to become smoother or rolled off in treble. More bite, some mid forwardness and slight more heft in the bass region would be ideal.
Hegel has some solid bass but it’s not a bright sounding amp.

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #17,318 of 25,549
Yup I've owned both.

The 23R is coloured and warm trying to sounding tubey with amazing tonal density and weight to instruments and notes. Transients are softer than typical solid state amps. Overall a very smooth and non fatiguing listen with very impressive bass but the midrange is pretty flat sounding. This is a love it or hate it amp for sure.

AHB2 sounds bigger (has the biggest soundstage I've heard for susvara) and more airy but lacks the tonal density and warmth of the 23R and just is straight up neutral. Not as clinical sounding as a Benchmark HPA4 but for some people this can be a boring amp but for technicalities it's amazing.

If you want a more reference listen go for the ahb2 and if you want a more coloured sound go for the 23R. The oor and hypsos is in the middle of both of them regarding sound signature and is slightly warm but has much faster and sharper transients than the 23R and a sweeter tonality than the AHB2.
+1

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #17,319 of 25,549
So been around the block with TOTL headphones and been falling in love with Susvara's once again. They excel in so much. Uber detailed in a sophisticated way.

I also think due to switching from TT2 to Dave + Farad3 and upgrading my source the Susvara's just kept getting better. I don't have a dedicated external amp for them at this time but they are impressing me a lot.

Only thing I think they dont do well is 90s hip-hop. Maybe I use the HD600 or get some Elites for that?
I found pre late 90's hip hop very hard to listen on the Susvara. You definitely want a headphone with warmth/bass to enjoy hip hop. I haven't tried EQ on the Susvara though.

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #17,320 of 25,549
I found pre late 90's hip hop very hard to listen on the Susvara. You definitely want a headphone with warmth/bass to enjoy hip hop. I haven't tried EQ on the Susvara though.
Im totally opposite. I feel like the Susvara has built in a MPC60 saturation and swing. Its made for hip hop in my ear(eyes)

EDIT: Susvara sound like a golden room that has warmth and the ambience/signature

In my experience all the planars I have tried needs EQ

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #17,321 of 25,549
Im totally opposite. I feel like the Susvara has built in a MPC60 saturation and swing. Its made for hip hop in my ear(eyes)

EDIT: Susvara sound like a golden room that has warmth and the ambience/signature

In my experience all the planars I have tried needs EQ
Yeah, I dont get that at all. It has a sweet treble. Uber detailed. I don't think its the best pairing for LOFI recordings. I heard the Elites are good. Wonder what else is good for lofi recordings?

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #17,322 of 25,549
Yeah, I dont get that at all. It has a sweet treble. Uber detailed. I don't think its the best pairing for LOFI recordings. I heard the Elites are good. Wonder what else is good for lofi recordings?
hmmm extra hmmmm. I feel these headphones dont have those highs(coming from Arya)

What amp are you using? What headphones are you coming from?

I actually liked it on ifi diablo, even thought it needs more power 1-2 hours burnin experience. Now that I think of it I should definitly give the iCANs a try.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #17,323 of 25,549
hmmm extra hmmmm. I feel these headphones dont have those highs(coming from Arya)

What amp are you using? What headphones are you coming from?

I actually liked it on ifi diablo, even thought it needs more power 1-2 hours burnin experience. Now that I think of it I should definitly give the iCANs a try.
HD600, Arya V2, Empys, 1266-TC, LCD5, SolitaireP, Susvara ... in the TOTL camp, its hard for one can to be much better than all the others ... I think they are different flavors ...

*Depending when you ask me but I think Susvara's might be the best ... hehe

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #17,324 of 25,549
HD600, Arya V2, Empys, 1266-TC, LCD5, SolitaireP, Susvara ... in the TOTL camp, its hard for one can to be much better than all the others ... I think they are different flavors ...

*Depending when you ask me but I think Susvara's might be the best ... hehe
I had a really weird experience with Susvara. I only had Sundaras/Zen(dac can) in the past. I was like, "what is this!" not good or bad. But the hype and the price was in my head..,....so I was like objectivity I am calling you!!!

Then I starting to notice things in music on the same diablo dac/amp, I never heard before, my mind started playing tricks on me... because I NEVER justify anything just because I have it. If it sucks, its going out the door.

Susvara sounds like golden chamber(signature) to me....literally. No matter how much I like my Arya which has a uncontrollable/unpredictable soundstage.

I think I need to sit back and take my unexperienced self, and appreciate all the work/tech that is available. I am truly thankful. I believe people when they say its a journey.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #17,325 of 25,549
How about CFA3? Heard good things about it.
outstanding choice and not anymore expensive than many others amps we speak of...only downside is the effort to get it built and received

Users who are viewing this thread

Back