HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 9, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #14,206 of 25,444
I don't have an issue hanging them from the band when the pressure is spread across the whole thing, it's the narrow top of the Salire that concerns me on my Sus.
Yes I hang them by the strap on the room's stand.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #14,207 of 25,444
I'll be receiving mine Friday, will report back if it's not tall enough for the Susvara.

Please do. These stands look very firm so please let us know whether they wobble or not. I assume that they don't.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #14,209 of 25,444
I think I finally got my head around the Susvara today. Either that or it took 8 months to break in :)

Had it for about 8 months, and liked it on my Woo Wa33 SE. That said, while I enjoyed it I didn’t really love it and Abyss and now LCD 5 got much more head time.

I later got a Woo Wa33 Elite and Enleum Amp 23r. Both drive the Susvara well but, still it was a distant third behind my other two primary headphones (and my LCD 4 too).

However, I started listening last night with The Enleum 23r and haven’t been able to take them off my head for the past 24 hours. Been listening to a lot of jazz.

It all makes sense now the warmth, the detail, the all encompassing head stage. The naturalness. The treble and bass extension. I think the Susvara works better on solid state to light it up. I also think I am predisposed to cool sounding headphones (eg Abyss, LCD 5, Utopia), on a warm amp. The Susvara is kind of the opposite direction, much warmer - even with more treble presence, which is why I think the solid state synergy is important. While the Enleum 23r is a bit of a tubey sounding SS amp, it’s also lightning quick which increases the Susvara a speed.

While I am naturally predisposed to the cooler sounding LCD 5, bass hits a lot harder with this setup. It’s nice that it offers a nice change of flavor from those other two headphones.

Don’t know where to really go with cables - I just ordered a black dragon premium with quarter inch furutech rhodium connectors. It’s not a cheap cable but much less expensive than a lot of other stuff out there. I listened with my focal clear black dragon balanced with an adaptor into the Enleum and like it - so it’s a no brainer at least to start.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #14,210 of 25,444
I think I finally got my head around the Susvara today. Either that or it took 8 months to break in :)

Had it for about 8 months, and liked it on my Woo Wa33 SE. That said, while I enjoyed it I didn’t really love it and Abyss and now LCD 5 got much more head time.

I later got a Woo Wa33 Elite and Enleum Amp 23r. Both drive the Susvara well but, still it was a distant third behind my other two primary headphones (and my LCD 4 too).

However, I started listening last night with The Enleum 23r and haven’t been able to take them off my head for the past 24 hours. Been listening to a lot of jazz.

It all makes sense now the warmth, the detail, the all encompassing head stage. The naturalness. The treble and bass extension. I think the Susvara works better on solid state to light it up. I also think I am predisposed to cool sounding headphones (eg Abyss, LCD 5, Utopia), on a warm amp. The Susvara is kind of the opposite direction, much warmer - even with more treble presence, which is why I think the solid state synergy is important. While the Enleum 23r is a bit of a tubey sounding SS amp, it’s also lightning quick which increases the Susvara a speed.

While I am naturally predisposed to the cooler sounding LCD 5, bass hits a lot harder with this setup. It’s nice that it offers a nice change of flavor from those other two headphones.

Don’t know where to really go with cables - I just ordered a black dragon premium with quarter inch furutech rhodium connectors. It’s not a cheap cable but much less expensive than a lot of other stuff out there. I listened with my focal clear black dragon balanced with an adaptor into the Enleum and like it - so it’s a no brainer at least to start.
It took me a really long time to put my head around what the Susvaras were doing too. Others have mentioned the same. I don’t know how long it took me, but definitely over 6 months. I’ve chalked it up to the Susvaras just being really complex, which some can’t appreciate, or don’t even know how to appreciate (myself included in the early stages). With other headphones, I know if I like them or not in a month or so (sometimes quicker) but this Susvara brain break-in is something else.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #14,211 of 25,444
It's the FFF that makes your head spin. The Fang Force Field! Once you are in it, you are lost at first, wandering around not knowing what to say, what to make of of it, yet you are enarmoured by its magic, its naturalness, the flow, the liquidness. You are not quite there yet though as you can't let go, loosen the grip and let yourself be part of the flow.

You never learned how, at least not to such an extent. All you knew so far was where to focus, where to look at. At the bass slam/punch, at the vocals and their clarity, at the air, the imaging. Different stages, spheres, shades, textures, glimpses of color here and there and at most only the palette, never the whole picture, the whole drawing.

The density of the musical delivery that flows into your ears is overwhelming for a simple focus. It's complex, rich, layered, microdynamics through the roof, high resolve and detail but no accentuation, no extra sharpening, no "hey look at me, look what I'm doing, look at what I caaan, hey maaaan, heere" antics. No help on where to focus, nothing screams at you or wants attention. Everything is in balance.

To appreciate that balance you need to let go first. I think this is what makes the Susvara so special.

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #14,212 of 25,444
I also think I am predisposed to cool sounding headphones (eg Abyss, LCD 5, Utopia), on a warm amp.
I would be very curious as to your opinion of the Utopias on the new Enleum amplifier

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #14,213 of 25,444
I would be very curious as to your opinion of the Utopias on the new Enleum amplifier
@buzzlulu - trying to get a demo but the cable company doesn’t have them any more. I think they might work well with the 23r because it’s a tiny bit softer / tubier than Dave direct. I’m considering them though because they are supposed to be a great match with my Wa33 as well. Will let you know if/ I hear them in my system.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #14,214 of 25,444
It took me a really long time to put my head around what the Susvaras were doing too. Others have mentioned the same. I don’t know how long it took me, but definitely over 6 months. I’ve chalked it up to the Susvaras just being really complex, which some can’t appreciate, or don’t even know how to appreciate (myself included in the early stages). With other headphones, I know if I like them or not in a month or so (sometimes quicker) but this Susvara brain break-in is something else.
I agree 100% which is why I bought and sold the susvara twice before I finally got it and now I absolutely love the susvara

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #14,215 of 25,444
Hey all new to this thread and did some catching up on my reading (definitely not all 900 pages lol) but wanted to ask the experts here.
I currently have for DACs the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, Denafrips Ares II and for amps the HeadAmp GS-X mini and the ifi Pro iCan Signature.
Until today I mainly listened to the LCD-5 and just got the Susvara to replace my HD800S.
I was wondering if for the money my gear is worth (lets say 4750 USD), there’s a DAC and AMP worth going for that’ll drive my two headphones better? I’m always in favor of getting used but am open to ideas.
Thanks in advance!

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #14,216 of 25,444
I started with the ROOMS FS Pro but found I needed to be careful when putting the sus on the metal stand. I sold that ROOMS and went with the shorter walnut ROOMS with no concern for metal stand with the sus, LCXD-5 or T&A P.

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #14,217 of 25,444
I started with the ROOMS FS Pro but found I needed to be careful when putting the sus on the metal stand. I sold that ROOMS and went with the shorter walnut ROOMS with no concern for metal stand with the sus, LCXD-5 or T&A P.
The top of the stand is wood for both types, also for the metal stand. Or do you mean hitting the side of the stand? Anyway, I put them on carefully and have no such issues with the metal stands.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #14,219 of 25,444

This is aligned with my LCD5 + susvara review. LCD5 prefers a slower amp. Susvara scales and prefers a faster amp. The LCD5 will start to lose sync or control if fed with a faster amp, and hence a cooler presentation. When fwd with their respective amp, they sound fairly similar on the macros but 5 will have a bit more support on staging and presentation due to better mid bass quantity.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #14,220 of 25,444
Hey all new to this thread and did some catching up on my reading (definitely not all 900 pages lol) but wanted to ask the experts here.
I currently have for DACs the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, Denafrips Ares II and for amps the HeadAmp GS-X mini and the ifi Pro iCan Signature.
Until today I mainly listened to the LCD-5 and just got the Susvara to replace my HD800S.
I was wondering if for the money my gear is worth (lets say 4750 USD), there’s a DAC and AMP worth going for that’ll drive my two headphones better? I’m always in favor of getting used but am open to ideas.
Thanks in advance!
Lcd5 and susvara doesn't pair well on the same amp/ amp setting. LCD5 sounded best on tube mode on the pro iDSD sig. So that may lead to the suggestion of using tube for pro iCan sig, and solid state for susvara. Both on unity gain ofc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back