HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 28, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #14,011 of 25,443
Holy s***. Susvaras arrived about ten minutes ago and I'm listening. They really sound fantastic, even with my limited amping capacity. These are simply amazing sounding and I can't wait to see how they scale.
Please compare Susvara vs HE6se that you have. How much is the difference in sound?

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #14,012 of 25,443
Please compare Susvara vs HE6se that you have. How much is the difference in sound?
As much as I’d love to the HE6se has been in HFM’s possession for a couple of weeks after one of the drivers went wonky. Don’t want to do a direct comparison until both are here together.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #14,013 of 25,443
Gryphon Audio in Denmark is an amazing manufacturer of quality amplifiers. :xf_wink:

I can't believe they are largely unknown in USA. But they are not known for their low prices....quite the reverse.
I'd list Gryphon toward the top of the list of any solid-state amp brand in the world, price no object. Not cheap but even the Diablo 120 (entry level Gryphon) can manhandle the most difficult-to-drive speakers. I've never seen the woofers in my Dynaudio speakers move like that before.
Of course with a SS amp I can't roll tubes and change the sound but it's still cheaper than a WA33 EE, and it can power most any speakers without breaking a sweat.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #14,014 of 25,443
I'd list Gryphon toward the top of the list of any solid-state amp brand in the world, price no object. Not cheap but even the Diablo 120 (entry level Gryphon) can manhandle the most difficult-to-drive speakers. I've never seen the woofers in my Dynaudio speakers move like that before.
Of course with a SS amp I can't roll tubes and change the sound but it's still cheaper than a WA33 EE, and it can power most any speakers without breaking a sweat.
Yup. Gryphon and Dan Dagostino, but Accuphase and Luxman are nipping at their heels.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #14,015 of 25,443
You just wait and see, but please strap your seatbelts first :sunglasses:
6540163C-EDB7-4E10-99D5-D41BAF182D8C.gif

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #14,016 of 25,443
The new power amp module of the Shanling M30 came in today. I will says that I am impressed. Running the M30 on Turbo Gain at volume 40. :)

A718667C-5E53-4D9A-9E62-F0A36B13F272.jpeg

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #14,017 of 25,443
The new power amp module of the Shanling M30 came in today. I will says that I am impressed. Running the M30 on Turbo Gain at volume 40. :)

Congrats, interested in your impressions.
How much compromised does it feel vs your big amp driving Sus? M30 was yet reviewed as the only DAP which could somehow drive Susvaras with the old amp module but I felt it was lacking and being too harsh.Meanwhile there are other DAPs such as M17 which are reported to perform ok but still not fully driving Susvaras.
Have so far kept my M30 in the drawer waiting for reviews of the new amp module.
Would be interesting to use it a secondary bed site setup...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #14,018 of 25,443
How much compromised does it feel vs your big amp driving Sus? M30 was yet reviewed as the only DAP which could somehow drive Susvaras with the old amp module but I felt it was lacking and being too harsh.Meanwhile there are other DAPs such as M17 which are reported to perform ok but still not fully driving Susvaras.
Have so far kept my M30 in the drawer waiting for reviews of the new amp module.
But at what cost?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #14,019 of 25,443
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #14,020 of 25,443
Hey man! I think the new power amp module does drive the Susvara nicely. No limitations as there was with the old amp module. It sounds pretty effortless to me. But again it may depend on what sort of music you are playing. I tend to listen more to vocals and acoustics. I am not surprised that the M17 does not fully drive the Susvara. If not, then the Shanling M9 would be able to drive it too. :wink:

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #14,021 of 25,443

Headphone Auditions Amsterdam​

"This Monster is eating Susvaras and Abysses for Breakfast. The M30 re-defines the Term All-In-One: Streamer, DAC, Preamp we had before, but this thing is the 1st transportable portable device that drives an AB1266 or a Susvara and sounds good."

https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/product/shanling-m30/

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #14,022 of 25,443
Yup. Gryphon and Dan Dagostino, but Accuphase and Luxman are nipping at their heels.
Yes absolutely - I'd live happily with any one of those brands! Prices of Accuphase are ridiculous in the US, unfortunately. I love the Luxman house sound and build quality. And D'Ag is also very had to beat - Both Lux and D'Ag amps have massive power and slam combined with a more tubelike sound but without tube hassles.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #14,023 of 25,443
Yes absolutely - I'd live happily with any one of those brands! Prices of Accuphase are ridiculous in the US, unfortunately. I love the Luxman house sound and build quality. And D'Ag is also very had to beat - Both Lux and D'Ag amps have massive power and slam combined with a more tubelike sound but without tube hassles.
Agree. Class-acts, these are…

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #14,024 of 25,443
Not sure if this is beyond the scope of this thread, but I want to ask a favour. Can anyone provide vouches for James at Stephan Audio Art? After being recommended by a member of the community (which I am very new to) I contacted him. We are working on a sale for Susvara’s which at present seems almost too good to be true. I this day there are a lot of scams going on, and I don’t want to get taken. We would go through PP so that gives assurance, and he has been very forthright so far, but it would help if I could get some additional vouches from the community. Appreciate it, and forgive me if I am crossing any lines here.

Not sure how this shook out (maybe positively in reading your signature) -- but I am working with the same vendor for purchase and would be happy to follow up on this thread when complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back