HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 26, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #13,981 of 25,434
86DAD4BF-94B9-4654-805A-CADEEBF3B643.jpeg
Joined the Susvara-club.
I wanted to write a detailed review of my initial impressions and a comparison I had made between the LCD-4z, Meze Elite and Solitaire P.
But I can't seem to get to it (other stuff in life keeping me busy atm).

I can summarize and say it was no contest. The Susvara-effect took a few days to sink in, but the sound is so natural, so effortless, so dramatic that other headphones (in this comparison) just sound colored and making-an-effort to sound at that level, but simply cannot match it.
I'm not saying the Elite, LCD-4z and Solitaire P sound bad, they are great sounding headphones, but in a direct comparison they pale against the abilities of the Susvara. It's just in a different level.

I'm glad I had waited for my chance to audition it, it was worth the wait.
Also, the combination with the Viva Egoista 845 produces a mesmerizing sound expereince.

I hope I'll have more time to write up a detailed comparison in the future.

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #13,982 of 25,434
I wanted to write a detailed review of my initial impressions and a comparison I had made between the LCD-4z, Meze Elite and Solitaire P.
But I can't seem to get to it (other stuff in life keeping me busy atm).

I can summarize and say it was no contest. The Susvara-effect took a few days to sink in, but the sound is so natural, so effortless, so dramatic that other headphones (in this comparison) just sound colored and making-an-effort to sound at that level, but simply cannot match it.
I'm not saying the Elite, LCD-4z and Solitaire P sound bad, they are great sounding headphones, but in a direct comparison they pale against the abilities of the Susvara. It's just in a different level.

I'm glad I had waited for my chance to audition it, it was worth the wait.
Also, the combination with the Viva Egoista 845 produces a mesmerizing sound expereince.

I hope I'll have more time to write up a detailed comparison in the future.
I get the same experience with my Susvara's and EF1000

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #13,983 of 25,434
I would exactly describe it the same way. It took me a week until I really appreciated the Susvara sound. So effortless and allows you to sink into the music while still providing TOTL technicalities. It's really one of the headphones that "disappear" if you like to use that term when listening to music.

I also think the 4z is a nice headphone by it's own and I listen to it regularly, but the Susvara is just in another league.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #13,984 of 25,434
I would exactly describe it the same way. It took me a week until I really appreciated the Susvara sound. So effortless and allows you to sink into the music while still providing TOTL technicalities. It's really one of the headphones that "disappear" if you like to use that term when listening to music.

I also think the 4z is a nice headphone by it's own and I listen to it regularly, but the Susvara is just in another league.
I agree. I don’t think I will every let my 4Z go even though I have the Susvaras

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #13,985 of 25,434
I agree. I don’t think I will every let my 4Z go even though I have the Susvaras
After getting my Susvaras, I'll be purging many other headphones, but the one keeper I have so far is my Blackwood ZMF Auteur. Similar to the Susvara, the Auteur has such a natural timbre. The sub-bass on the Auteur rumbles a little deeper, definitely not as detailed, but a very enjoyable headphone still. Running the Auteur on a nice tube amp is quite magical, just like running the Susvaras off a powerful SS amp.

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #13,986 of 25,434
Jan 27, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #13,987 of 25,434
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #13,988 of 25,434
Thank you for your review. In your video review you mentioned CFA3, how far away is comparison of CFA3 to your favorite chosen setup? I'm very curious about it. Thank you!
So the word on the street is that the Susy Dynahy is the amp to go for, with the Susvara. @Dukei might be able to tell you more. Or @paradoxper. These guys know more about DIY amps than I.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #13,989 of 25,434
So the word on the street is that the Susy Dynahy is the amp to go for, with the Susvara. @Dukei might be able to tell you more. Or @paradoxper. These guys know more about DIY amps than I.
I'm a bit sad. I would like to hear your valuable opinion from this comparison.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #13,990 of 25,434
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #13,991 of 25,434
Still, no one listens to me. :grin:

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #13,992 of 25,434
Still, no one listens to me. :grin:
Where would you recommend one starts for a Dynahi? I see some threads over in the DIY forum, but was wondering if there was a "here's how to get started building some KG amps" launching pad you'd suggest.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #13,993 of 25,434
Where would you recommend one starts for a Dynahi? I see some threads over in the DIY forum, but was wondering if there was a "here's how to get started building some KG amps" launching pad you'd suggest.
If you mean build yourself, yes, Head-Case is most appropriate. There is an available drive hosting all build files.

If you meant commissioning, @Dukei is the resident builder, say, for Head-Fi.

If you're looking for something more bespoke and domestic, many other builders in the Gilmore community. Most keep focus to electrostatic amplifiers.

I would also recommend looking at the B22. These amps still spank something like FOTM 23R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back