HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #13,936 of 25,444
Jan 21, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #13,937 of 25,444
for those looking to add something to their lineup, the Solitaire-P is a really nice complement to the Susvara.

it offers a comparatively darker presentation, stronger low end, stronger imaging and seemingly wider staging.

there is some music that still sounds better on the Susvara; jazz, female vocals, some indie and folk. and there is some music that, after listening with the P, just doesn't sound as nice anymore on the Sus, like dance/edm, rock, pop.

the new album Butterfly 3001 by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is an example where the P is more enoyable than the Susvara. that mid bass and low end punchiness and warmth really suits the music. lovely!

I've got soli P and sus and don't plan t get rid of either anytime soon. I also pretty highly recommend trying soli P on tube for those that have it. Its got a kind of wonky tonality but forge + soli P legit is one of my favorite headphone experiences to date. Just some real magic happening there. Ignoring the slightly lower technicalities compared to sus on a good solid state I still think I prefer the soli + forge combo over sus + any of my amps tbh. Only real complaint with it is the lack of sub bass can be annoying on a sing you know has some good rumble (though it rolls in such a way that you don't know it's missing if you don't know the song fwiw)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #13,938 of 25,444
for those looking to add something to their lineup, the Solitaire-P is a really nice complement to the Susvara.

it offers a comparatively darker presentation, stronger low end, stronger imaging and seemingly wider staging.

there is some music that still sounds better on the Susvara; jazz, female vocals, some indie and folk. and there is some music that, after listening with the P, just doesn't sound as nice anymore on the Sus, like dance/edm, rock, pop.

the new album Butterfly 3001 by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is an example where the P is more enoyable than the Susvara. that mid bass and low end punchiness and warmth really suits the music. lovely!

20220121_205629-01.jpeg
I think today just Abyss1266TC could compare to Susvara, it’s two completely different headphones with real enjoyable sound signature, i can’t choose which one I like more, after I received Susvara I listened to just Susvara and thought Susvara bit Abyss until yesterday I decided to tried Abyss and realized how good Abyss to

Attachments

• ECCAFA32-014B-4E9C-A157-725E5F89A1F1.jpeg
    ECCAFA32-014B-4E9C-A157-725E5F89A1F1.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #13,939 of 25,444
I think today just Abyss1266TC could compare to Susvara, it’s two completely different headphones with real enjoyable sound signature, i can’t choose which one I like more, after I received Susvara I listened to just Susvara and thought Susvara bit Abyss until yesterday I decided to tried Abyss and realized how good Abyss to
Now you need to try the Solitaire P

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #13,940 of 25,444
Now you need to try the Solitaire P
I never tried any electrostatic headphones that’s why I don’t have any opinion about , I just paid attention on market of electrostatic stuff and reviews and by big numbers on price tags I understand some day I should try, I had idea to get amp which one can drive any headphones, including electrostatic, but company which one made this kind of amps start to act suspicious , looks like company fouled to bankruptcy, but i still keep idea to get this kind of amplifier

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #13,941 of 25,444
I never tried any electrostatic headphones that’s why I don’t have any opinion about , I just paid attention on market of electrostatic stuff and by big numbers on price tags I understand
The Solitaire P is a planar like Susvara

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #13,942 of 25,444
I never tried any electrostatic headphones that’s why I don’t have any opinion about , I just paid attention on market of electrostatic stuff and reviews and by big numbers on price tags I understand some day I should try, I had idea to get amp which one can drive any headphones, including electrostatic, but company which one made this kind of amps start to act suspicious , looks like company fouled to bankruptcy, but i still keep idea to get this kind of amplifier

Just fwiw, I don't think any decent options even exist that do both dynamics and estats to the levels we would want for totl cans

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #13,943 of 25,444

20220121_205629-01.jpeg
I have both as well and think in a lot of ways they are similar in that they are both incredibly well balanced and easy to listen to..I agree the P has more prominent bass and while I wouldnt say the soundstage was bigger I would say it is deeper and more 3 dimensional on the P...the beauty of the P for me is that I can listen to it out of my dave and it sounds great and I also find it very comfortable...all in a a great HP as is the susvara

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #13,944 of 25,444
Just fwiw, I don't think any decent options even exist that do both dynamics and estats to the levels we would want for totl cans
Did you hear Audiovalve german company ?, I just checked website and looks like they still exist, one time I even paid to US dealer for amp Solaris with out dac and I waited about 3 weeks and just get my many back, but looks like they’re making real good stuff
https://www.audiovalve.info/shop/headphone-amplifier/verto-kopie-2/

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #13,945 of 25,444
I have both as well and think in a lot of ways they are similar in that they are both incredibly well balanced and easy to listen to..I agree the P has more prominent bass and while I wouldnt say the soundstage was bigger I would say it is deeper and more 3 dimensional on the P...the beauty of the P for me is that I can listen to it out of my dave and it sounds great and I also find it very comfortable...all in a a great HP as is the susvara

Interesting comment on the ultimate stage size of the soli. Tbh, I feel like the stage size of soli leaves sus in the dust. I've heard it described as HD800S + slam and I generally agree there tbh.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #13,946 of 25,444
Did you hear Audiovalve german company ?, I just checked website and looks like they still exist, one time I even paid to US dealer for amp Solaris with out dac and I waited about 3 weeks and just get my many back, but looks like they’re making real good stuff
https://www.audiovalve.info/shop/headphone-amplifier/verto-kopie-2/
I was under the impression that they had folded. I haven't heard their amps so I won't comment but I was fairly certain reviews weren't all that positive tbh

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #13,947 of 25,444
Interesting comment on the ultimate stage size of the soli. Tbh, I feel like the stage size of soli leaves sus in the dust. I've heard it described as HD800S + slam and I generally agree there tbh.

Yea I also feel the P stage is wider than the Sus. the sentiment is also accentuated in the mind by the design of the cups ie the P cups surround the ears with a good amount of space such that my ears don't touch the protective foam/cloth, whereas with the Sus, my ears do touch the driver protector. the imaging and placement of elements with the P is stronger too, on par with Utopia imo.

also agree, there is reduced sub-bass rumble (I have to compare this with the Abyss which is somewhat unfair) and less far reach extension down low (compared to the Susvara) but the overall presentation, musicality and how it delivers the punch and oomph more than makes up for it.

the susvara still remains a reference for tone and timbre, clarity, details and textures. vocals still seem the most effortless, real and natural sounding with the Sus.

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #13,948 of 25,444
the cup design does definitely affect the sound stage...more room in the cups and ears further from the drivers....bottom line a hell of a HP IMHO

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #13,949 of 25,444
I've seen some really high praise for A&S amps with the Susvara - specifically Mogwai SE and Forge. Has anyone spent much time with Sus + ZMF Pendant? It's certainly got less juice than either of the other two I mentioned, but I'm curious. I was considering ordering one before a Sus came into my view.

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #13,950 of 25,444
I used the Pendant with the susvara when I first bought it for a few weeks while my Bigger Ben was being built. It sounded very nice until I tried it with the BB and the sus really improved. The sus sounds fine until you try it with an amp with a bit more power. I'm pleased with the combo. Would I find it paired with a speaker amp to be even better? Perhaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back