HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #12,526 of 25,539
No EQ in the world will save the HE-1000SE against the Susvara, only the output of your smartphone will help the SE rout from the battlefield.

a) Susvara has better timbre and tonality, way better balance.
b) Micro and Macro are quite a leap, HE-1000SE throws cotton balls at your head in comparison. Not saying it doesn't have decent slam. Susvara is just another league here.
c) superior soundstage depth and stable, focussed "dense" mid center. Less Tall but more focussed, round (cohorent) and dense.
d) You can kinda sense the per sqmm FFF aka Fang Force Field, similarly to the HE-6. The microdynamics are just absolutely stellar and as known part of the emotional connection to the music. Susvara really lives up to its sanskrit name and illuminates.
d) Susvara slams and punches harder, you can enhance this with ZMF Eikon Hybrid/Solid and go more towards the HE-6
e) Amping with the Susvara is like the HE-6. It's no joke.
Thanks for the detailed info, it’s difficult to not jump to the Susvara wagon with a post like this!

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #12,527 of 25,539
Interesting suggestion with the ZMF pads.
So far I ve read only about Dekoni pads.
Are there any comparisons?
I've written an extensive Susvara/HE-6 pad-rolling guide for another headphone site this year that contains specific recommendations as well as common suggestions potentially applicable to other planar magnetics. Cannot link to it directly unfortunately but the related post from May 28th can be googled ("HiFiMan SUSVARA "Review" and Measurements earpad guideline"). I've tried some more pads since then but the guide stands.

On top of the above, you could check some of my recent posts (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in the LCD-5 thread.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #12,528 of 25,539
Yall need to hear this, especially if you want one TOTL HP that plays every genre well (modern / acoustic / anything). Slightly more detailed impressions on the LCD5 thread:

2.JPG
After seeing some video and written reviews and comments on forums, I just ordered a pair of these yesterday (11/23) to add to the headphone stable; looks like something I'd like a lot, and I never even wanted to try out earlier LCD's after reading about the weight....

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #12,529 of 25,539
I've written an extensive Susvara/HE-6 pad-rolling guide for another headphone site this year that contains specific recommendations as well as common suggestions potentially applicable to other planar magnetics. Cannot link to it directly unfortunately but the related post from May 28th can be googled ("HiFiMan SUSVARA "Review" and Measurements earpad guideline"). I've tried some more pads since then but the guide stands.

On top of the above, you could check some of my recent posts (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in the LCD-5 thread.
I just grabbed a set of ZMF Eikon pads and rings based on your recommendation thanks.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #12,530 of 25,539
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #12,531 of 25,539

I ordered the rings+pads today to try this out. Thanks for the write up!

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #12,532 of 25,539
Nov 24, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #12,534 of 25,539
I've had good success with the Universe Perforated suede pads. The Leather and Hybrid perforated versions of the Universe pads made the Susvara a bit bright.

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #12,535 of 25,539
I've had good success with the Universe Perforated suede pads. The Leather and Hybrid perforated versions of the Universe pads made the Susvara a bit bright.
I agree that the Universe hybrid and Universe perf leather pads are a bit too bright on Susvara. (The same can be said e.g. for Eikon perf leather.) However, Eikon hybrids are spot-on. :)

Universe perforated suede pads are indeed nice but the solid leather material of the Eikon hybrids is a better choice to my ears for keeping subbass intact + letting Susvara hit in low to mid bass almost like HE6s.

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #12,536 of 25,539
I agree that the Universe hybrid and Universe perf leather pads are a bit too bright on Susvara. (The same can be said e.g. for Eikon perf leather.) However, Eikon hybrids are spot-on. :)

Universe perforated suede pads are indeed nice but the solid leather material of the Eikon hybrids is a better choice to my ears for keeping subbass intact + letting Susvara hit in low to mid bass almost like HE6s.
I can certainly see that being the case. I don't have any eikon pads on hand to try out sadly. Thanks for sharing your experience : )

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #12,537 of 25,539
Just checked the mounting rings in the Hifiman store.
2 x rings: 20 USD
Shipping to Europe: 178 USD 😂

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #12,538 of 25,539
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #12,539 of 25,539
Just checked the mounting rings in the Hifiman store.
2 x rings: 20 USD
Shipping to Europe: 178 USD 😂
I just put in an order for a Hifiman mounting ring - 1 order ($10) consists of 2 rings. Free shipping in the US.

$178 for shipping to Europe? I'd call Hifiman to check on that; sounds like some mistake...

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #12,540 of 25,539
I got a few spare rings I could send within Germany, just gotta check if they look ok.
Maybe Europe too but in any case shipping is not on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back