HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #12,211 of 25,547
Turns out I found a listing the "new guy" was using their photos, glad I listened to my instincts. I'd also like to point out that even if they come to you with off-site references, it is very easy to get on one of these sites, find feedback then create a new profile under their name. ..Which I believe this rat did.
Am I correct to say it was the guy you interacted with here on this thread? And that the posts have been deleted?

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #12,212 of 25,547
Susvara in the house!!

Some initial thoughts... the wood ring looks and feels more woody than I thought. A lot of reviewers mentioned how fake it was so I'm kind of surprised. It has grain and feels like real wood to the touch and smell (?). Build quality is better than expected... cannot be compared to Arya's, but not Empy or Utopia build obviously but still good.

Initial listening... everything they said was so true. Balanced, transparent, dynamic. It is hyper-detailed but not yet sure if it exceeds Utopia/LCD-4Z/D8K Pro... definitely up there, perhaps even leading the pack but need more time to evaluate. Also... surprisingly the SA-1 seems to drive them okay... although the volume knob is turned up close to max (which is not good) I don't hear any deficiencies in the tonal balance. Bass rumbles deep deep with decent control... highs are controlled well, and there is full body and richness in the mids (none of the typical signs of being under driven) but I can see how a bigger badder big boy amp might tighten things up as there is slight looseness in general. The staging isn't super wide, although there is good air and layers... I guess the right amp might expand the soundstage and open the roof on the air and layering? Just a guess as I assume the SA-1 is lacking and this can still get much better. Damn... I really need to decide on an amp that is available for immediate shipping and not 12 weeks out LOL. Susvara still very enjoyable from my current system. I'm having a great time :L3000:

No obvious weaknesses while bringing top flight performance and balance even from my humble source/amp. My stream of consciousness thoughts in the first hour. This is a great buy; it's a safe buy as even a mid-fi DAC/Amp can give this kind of performance out of the box without any burn in. What's great is nothing stands out, well other than the amazing balance and transparency. It doesn't try to be an attention whore but just rules with supreme finesse (which is great). Also the timbre is really nice... doesn't have that planar fake timbre... almost sounds like a dynamic... damn no weakness son no weaknesses!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #12,214 of 25,547
Can anyone confirm that any repairs to Susvara require shipping to China? I was under the impression they could be fixed in the states, may affect my purchase decisions weither to catch and release or catch and keep a Sus
send hifiman an email or pm here

i believe some returns get down via US and some via China or Hong Kong - may be the same for repairs

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #12,215 of 25,547
Susvara in the house!!

Some initial thoughts... the wood ring looks and feels more woody than I thought. A lot of reviewers mentioned how fake it was so I'm kind of surprised. It has grain and feels like real wood to the touch and smell (?). Build quality is better than expected... cannot be compared to Arya's, but not Empy or Utopia build obviously but still good.

Initial listening... everything they said was so true. Balanced, transparent, dynamic. It is hyper-detailed but not yet sure if it exceeds Utopia/LCD-4Z/D8K Pro... definitely up there, perhaps even leading the pack but need more time to evaluate. Also... surprisingly the SA-1 seems to drive them okay... although the volume knob is turned up close to max (which is not good) I don't hear any deficiencies in the tonal balance. Bass rumbles deep deep with decent control... highs are controlled well, and there is full body and richness in the mids (none of the typical signs of being under driven) but I can see how a bigger badder big boy amp might tighten things up as there is slight looseness in general. The staging isn't super wide, although there is good air and layers... I guess the right amp might expand the soundstage and open the roof on the air and layering? Just a guess as I assume the SA-1 is lacking and this can still get much better. Damn... I really need to decide on an amp that is available for immediate shipping and not 12 weeks out LOL. Susvara still very enjoyable from my current system. I'm having a great time :L3000:

No obvious weaknesses while bringing top flight performance and balance even from my humble source/amp. My stream of consciousness thoughts in the first hour. This is a great buy; it's a safe buy as even a mid-fi DAC/Amp can give this kind of performance out of the box without any burn in. What's great is nothing stands out, well other than the amazing balance and transparency. It doesn't try to be an attention whore but just rules with supreme finesse (which is great). Also the timbre is really nice... doesn't have that planar fake timbre... almost sounds like a dynamic... damn no weakness son no weaknesses!
If one if used to ZMF headphones, the wood on just about anything else can be found a bit lacking! :L3000:

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #12,217 of 25,547
I think you might not get the cleanest presentation but you will have to try it. The Benchmark AHB2 speaker amp uses the THX topology so it is known for incredibly low noise floor which is crucial when the speakers are on your ears so that is why it is likely the TOTL rated Speaker amp for the Susvara in most places. I use the AHB2 and can't hear any noise.........I am adding a Schiit Freya to my chain though for some more "Noise", go figure!
How does one connect the Susvara (using a balanced 4-pin XLR cable) to the Benchmark AHB2 speaker amp without using the HE adaptor box?

Does that connector also affect the sound quality in a negative way?

Jeff.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #12,218 of 25,547
How does one connect the Susvara (using a balanced 4-pin XLR cable) to the Benchmark AHB2 speaker amp without using the HE adaptor box?

Jeff.
Either with a Speakertap Adapter cable or an adapter Box without in line resistors like those from Zynsonix or Ampsandsound

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #12,220 of 25,547
I'd like to point out something I noticed in my research on the Susvara and if they hold up well over time. I looked and looked, it's almost like finding a hd800 with bad drivers, they must really take extra pride in making their Susvaras drivers. I can't find anyone who who has had one go out. I assume that is because the gold traces makes a driver fairly resilient to failing. Plus planners are pretty robust. I'll say this, I really broke no sweat over warranty (all things considered, w/my history and experience with hifiman) on a Susvara, I wouldn't of even considered buying a U or a few others without one.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #12,221 of 25,547

Jeff.
Speakon Male to XLR 4 - Pin female is the best/quietest path. I am using a Zynsonix adapter currently. There’s a fan favorite builder here in the forums based across the pond that comes highly recommended also. Seb at Viking Weave Cables.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #12,222 of 25,547

Jeff.
You need a custom adapter with a female 4-pin XLR on one end, and four wires terminated with spades, bananas, or Speakons on the other. I had a guy on eBay make one for me, but any of the popular headphone cable makers could probably make one. If the length of the wires is a foot or less (recommended), any sonic impact should be virtually nil. For longer lengths, using quality speaker (or headphone) cable might be advisable.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #12,223 of 25,547

Jeff.
You can try diy speakon to 4-pin xlr. It's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGTG7WZ + https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GO0CGG + https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Neutrik-NC4FXX-B-Female-Connector/dp/B07KCSCGKZ. Just follow the tutorial to braid it.
1231201702a.jpg

You'll have plenty of wire left to experiment. Once you know the ideal length you can order from the pro and part with your 💸. I bet it'll be cheaper than buying one first -> regret -> return/exchange/sell cycle.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #12,224 of 25,547
You can try diy speakon to 4-pin xlr. It's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGTG7WZ + https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GO0CGG + https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Neutrik-NC4FXX-B-Female-Connector/dp/B07KCSCGKZ. Just follow the tutorial to braid it.
1231201702a.jpg
You'll have plenty of wire left to experiment. Once you know the ideal length you can order from the pro and part with your 💸. I bet it'll be cheaper than buying one first -> regret -> return/exchange/sell cycle.

The problem is you need to be able to solder yourself

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #12,225 of 25,547
Just received my susvara today. Pairing it with a Enleum amp23R now. Anyone has suggestions on which is the best option of upgrade headphone cable to use for the susvara? Thanks.
---budget would be around or under $1k

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back