HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 27, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #11,476 of 25,444
but the raw resolving power and detail of 009 is ahead of Susvara.

It is impressive how the 009 can pull out all the details and make it still sound so correct and natural.

The moment I got home, I had a listen with the Susvara. With the convolution EQ on, the 009 had more warmth, weight, punch and slam. The caveat is, I really did not like the 009 without EQ.

Looking forward to your CRBN and X9000 thoughts! I have been reading the canjam impression thread and the CRBN has been getting a lot of praise!

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #11,477 of 25,444
It is impressive how the 009 can pull out all the details and make it still sound so correct and natural.

The moment I got home, I had a listen with the Susvara. With the convolution EQ on, the 009 had more warmth, weight, punch and slam. The caveat is, I really did not like the 009 without EQ.

Looking forward to your CRBN and X9000 thoughts! I have been reading the canjam impression thread and the CRBN has been getting a lot of praise!
I've only ever heard the 009 w/o EQ. Same for the 007. Never considered purchasing either, really. I may be able to audition the 9000 later this week. The CRBN and particularly the Shangri-la Jr. showed me that e-stats now have to be on my radar in a big way.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #11,478 of 25,444
I've only ever heard the 009 w/o EQ. Same for the 007. Never considered purchasing either, really. I may be able to audition the 9000 later this week. The CRBN and particularly the Shangri-la Jr. showed me that e-stats now have to be on my radar in a big way.

i preferred the 009 over the 007. But did not like either without EQ. without EQ, they are a bit thin sounding throughout the band, especially up top, and occasionally ear-piercing on some of my favourite songs. the Susvara otoh sound just about right on my setup. I used to run EQ, but after changing my hardware, i no longer find the need to; in fact, running the AutoEQ convolution (HK curve) makes it a bit bloated down low, and dulled and lacking sparkle up top. Stats are going to be a massive outlay since if i do go down this route, i will also have to purchase a stat amp. Am thinking if it is going to be all worth it (?), but perhaps my mind will change after i hear the CRBN/stax X9000.

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #11,479 of 25,444
i preferred the 009 over the 007. But did not like either without EQ. without EQ, they are a bit thin sounding throughout the band, especially up top, and occasionally ear-piercing on some of my favourite songs. the Susvara otoh sound just about right on my setup. I used to run EQ, but after changing my hardware, i no longer find the need to; in fact, running the AutoEQ convolution (HK curve) makes it a bit bloated down low, and dulled and lacking sparkle up top. Stats are going to be a massive outlay since if i do go down this route, i will also have to purchase a stat amp. Am thinking if it is going to be all worth it (?), but perhaps my mind will change after i hear the CRBN/stax X9000.
I also played around with EQ on the Susvara several weeks ago, mostly out of curiosity, and abandoned it immediately. Same impressions as you had. Since we seem to have reasonably similar sonic tastes (Susvara/Utopia), I'd really recommend giving the HFM Shangri-la Jr. an audition. It was pretty clearly my favorite listen at CanJam this weekend, and the resolution actually exceeds Susvara's. The frequency extremes were my major quibble with the 009, but the Shangri-la Jr. is really not weak anywhere. I thought I heard some dynamic compression on a couple of tracks on Saturday, but didn't notice that as much the next day. I'm looking to replace my Utopia with something that offers more contrast to the Susvara, and Shangri-la Jr. is a leading candidate right now. What's another $6-7k (after I sell the Utopia) with all the money we've already sunk into this hobby, or perhaps lifestyle is the appropriate word in our cases! :beerchug:

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #11,480 of 25,444
@BassicScience

I've not seen the Shangri-la in any of the local shops so an audition will probably be super hard or impossible. The local dealer says CRBN preorder slots have apparently been filled. Some X9000 pre order slots are still available though... Ha ha ha...

Re: the Utopia. I've had three ppl come over for listening sessions and all three chose the Utopia over the Susvara (and Abyss). The utopia and wa33 sounds perfect to me, so not sure if I was at all surprised at their conclusions or not, but because of the above, i did end up questioning myself if I was running the susvara adequately or whether I'd get better sound through the bakoon/ferrum.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #11,481 of 25,444
@BassicScience

I've not seen the Shangri-la in any of the local shops so an audition will probably be super hard or impossible. The local dealer says CRBN preorder slots have apparently been filled. Some X9000 pre order slots are still available though... Ha ha ha...

Re: the Utopia. I've had three ppl come over for listening sessions and all three chose the Utopia over the Susvara (and Abyss). The utopia and wa33 sounds perfect to me, so not sure if I was at all surprised at their conclusions or not, but because of the above, i did end up questioning myself if I was running the susvara adequately or whether I'd get better sound through the bakoon/ferrum.
Well, I suppose the availability of a headphone is an important consideration in any buying decision. Too bad the high end products in the Hifiman range aren't more ubiquitous.

For me, the preference for Susvara vs. Utopia is consistent no matter the system context, as long as Susvara has been adequately powered. But I've long since stopped trying to predict what other people will prefer in audio equipment. It's a fascinating conundrum to try and make sense of all the "data" sometimes!

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #11,482 of 25,444
@BassicScience

I’ve really been liking the Utopia WA33 combo.

Also, I did not really like the Susvara out of the standard WA33, and was going to sell it. I waited for the WA33 EE JPS before doing that. For whatever reason the Elite version is much better with the Susvaras.

What are you driving the Susvaras with currently? A speaker amp?

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #11,483 of 25,444
I’ve really been liking the Utopia WA33 combo.

Also, I did not really like the Susvara out of the standard WA33, and was going to sell it. I waited for the WA33 EE JPS before doing that. For whatever reason the Elite version is much better with the Susvaras.

What are you driving the Susvaras with currently? A speaker amp?

I'm using kinki audio P27 pre and kinki m7 stereo power amp for the susvara and abyss. The P27 offered a bit more detail and spaciousness over the denafrips athena at the cost of some midbass and punch, but I think the M7 compensated a bit for that reduction.

Are u still using high gain on the wa33 for the susvara? On the occasions I do that pairing, I prefer low gain and volume knob at 2 to 3 o'clock (dac volume 85/100) over high gain and volume knob at 10 to 11 o'clock. With high gain, I felt the highs got louder faster before the mids and bass.

Of the three that came over to have a listen, all felt the Susvara gave a relaxed and laid back presentation, whereas the utopia was livelier and more dynamic, and easier to pick out and isolate details. All felt the imaging and placement of the utopia was better.

First guy ranked Utopia+wa33, susvara+athena/apollon, susvara+wa33.
Second guy Utopia+wa33, susvara+kinki, susvara+wa33
Thrid guy abyss, utopia+wa33, susvara+kinki

But to be fair I think a lot boiled down to music preference as well. As looking at their playlist, their was a lot of rock and music from the 80s to 90s. Not so much jazz or vocals or easy listening.

It is super hard to beat the susvara, after the kids have gone to bed and the whole house is quiet. Put on some jazz vocals and a glass of whisky..

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #11,484 of 25,444
I'm using kinki audio P27 pre and kinki m7 stereo power amp for the susvara and abyss. The P27 offered a bit more detail and spaciousness over the denafrips athena at the cost of some midbass and punch, but I think the M7 compensated a bit for that reduction.

Are u still using high gain on the wa33 for the susvara? On the occasions I do that pairing, I prefer low gain and volume knob at 2 to 3 o'clock (dac volume 85/100) over high gain and volume knob at 10 to 11 o'clock. With high gain, I felt the highs got louder faster before the mids and bass.

Of the three that came over to have a listen, all felt the Susvara gave a relaxed and laid back presentation, whereas the utopia was livelier and more dynamic, and easier to pick out and isolate details. All felt the imaging and placement of the utopia was better.

First guy ranked Utopia+wa33, susvara+athena/apollon, susvara+wa33.
Second guy Utopia+wa33, susvara+kinki, susvara+wa33
Thrid guy abyss, utopia+wa33, susvara+kinki

But to be fair I think a lot boiled down to music preference as well. As looking at their playlist, their was a lot of rock and music from the 80s to 90s. Not so much jazz or vocals or easy listening.

It is super hard to beat the susvara, after the kids have gone to bed and the whole house is quiet. Put on some jazz vocals and a glass of whisky..
Yeah, high gain. You do make a good point about music selections. I’m super into metal and hip-hop and that may affect my impressions

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #11,486 of 25,444
I swear.....I check the sales thread often and one sold in my neck of the woods only an hour or so after I saw the post earlier today. 😭

Do most used susvaras get sold here or is there another website that sees more action I'm not aware of ?

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #11,487 of 25,444
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #11,488 of 25,444
Anyone here with both the Susvara and Stax (007/009)?

I managed to have a listen at a friend's place this morning. Roon Nucleus, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Headamp BHSE and 007 + 009.

The 009 sounds amazing (with autoEQ convolution). Amazing detail, lovely mids and vocals and the bass really surprised me. So much weight and texture and punch/slam.

Unfortunately didn't manage to do a side by side comparison with Susvara. But man the mola/bhse/009 is a real eye opener.

I've had the Susvara, 009 and 007 altogether for a long time. The 009 out of the BHSE is just truly stunning. It has greater resolution, is a bit more open and has a noticeably better midrange, which against the Susvara really says a lot. I give the overall bass nod to the Susvara, but it's close and the 009's mid-bass stands out a bit. Vocals are probably top 3 all time I've ever heard and also a step above the Sus. However, tonality is where the Susvara has it beat.. just buttery smoothness.. but that comes at a cost of smoothing over some of the technicalities to a small degree.

Both great, but I'd pick the 009 over it if I had to each and every time.

Also the 007 really is excellent, but it needs to be powered sufficiently and also shouldn't be paired with warmer gear at all. It's slightly less technically stout than the TC/Sus/009.. but it has an amazingly even sound. Stat resolution just short of the 009, smooth and warmer than the Susvara, and bass quantity and impact (although a bit lower quality) than the TC. I don't talk about it much, but it's an awesome stat.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #11,489 of 25,444
I've had the Susvara, 009 and 007 altogether for a long time. The 009 out of the BHSE is just truly stunning. It has greater resolution, is a bit more open and has a noticeably better midrange, which against the Susvara really says a lot. I give the overall bass nod to the Susvara, but it's close and the 009's mid-bass stands out a bit. Vocals are probably top 3 all time I've ever heard and also a step above the Sus. However, tonality is where the Susvara has it beat.. just buttery smoothness.. but that comes at a cost of smoothing over some of the technicalities to a small degree.

Both great, but I'd pick the 009 over it if I had to each and every time.

Also the 007 really is excellent, but it needs to be powered sufficiently and also shouldn't be paired with warmer gear at all. It's slightly less technically stout than the TC/Sus/009.. but it has an amazingly even sound. Stat resolution just short of the 009, smooth and warmer than the Susvara, and bass quantity and impact (although a bit lower quality) than the TC. I don't talk about it much, but it's an awesome stat.

With the EQ, the 009+BHSE sounded like the complete package, or my ideal sound. The bass was amazing, and thats coming from me having both the susvara and abyss. I always had the impression or assumption that stats were thin and sterile, but I am clearly wrong about that.

One of my thoughts were that now since I'm mostly using LMS and Squeezelite, I don't have a way to put the convolution filter in place.

The vocals and clarity I heard from the Stax, and the tonality and timbre.. To say that I am jealous of you having the BHSE and 009 is putting it lightly.. U lucky sod!

I think I am detracting too much from the susvara topic so I will give it a rest. Thanks for chiming in, all!

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #11,490 of 25,444
Someone was just selling a 009 for 1800 a couple days ago on Head-Fi too, absolute steal of a price if you're willing to commit to a system.

Even though it's not going to be my primary headphone set to listen to, one day I'll treat myself with used 009 anyway. And it's going to share shelf space with another legend, Senns HD600.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back