HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #11,371 of 25,502
I would love a setup like that, maybe in the future. Right now I cannot afford to spend more than $1K max for my amp.
Go for a speaker amp if you are going to keep the Susvara. No reason not to if your budget is $1K. You can get a great 50W or so amp or integrated for that money. I considered it and still might at some point.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #11,372 of 25,502
I am not slamming the A90 or the SA-1 by any stretch but my friend Sumeet was 100% correct when I said "I like the way the Sus sounds with the WA22 and the A90" and he replied, "please don't take offense to this but you need MORE POWER to really hear the Susvara", 100% correct. Big Difference.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #11,373 of 25,502
I am not slamming the A90 or the SA-1 by any stretch but my friend Sumeet was 100% correct when I said "I like the way the Sus sounds with the WA22 and the A90" and he replied, "please don't take offense to this but you need MORE POWER to really hear the Susvara", 100% correct. Big Difference.
Hmmm with the the AHB2 in high gain mode I definitely hear a difference. Sound is much more immediate and more forward sounding.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #11,374 of 25,502
Ok after doing a lot of research today I think I'm leaning towards the Matrix Mini i3 Pro DAC/Topping A90 Amp combo for the Susvaras. As I mentioned yesterday I already own the Matrix, and also after buying the HPs my budget is shot, so it seems that spending $500 on the A90 and calling it a day (for now) is the most sensible option. Before I pull the trigger, just wanted to check with you guys if there are any other options in this price range or slightly higher I should consider.

As always, thanks.
I would also consider the Flux Labs FA10. I believe it's under $800 new. I think the reviews on Soundnews and Headfonia discuss using the amp with the Susvara. I auditioned them both and kept the FA10 for my Susvara starter amp. Nothing wrong with the A90. I just prefer the Class A presentation. I'll be upgrading soon, not because I dislike the FA10, but because that's what we do :).

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #11,375 of 25,502
Thanks. I actually might be able to get a deal on a Burson Soloist 3X Performance for under 1K, which would make it a no brianer, as I think it will be better for the Susvaras than all my other options. Hope it works out!

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #11,376 of 25,502
Thanks. I actually might be able to get a deal on a Burson Soloist 3X Performance for under 1K, which would make it a no brianer, as I think it will be better for the Susvaras than all my other options. Hope it works out!
If not, PM me - I am selling my half year old Flux for 500 bucks plus shipping

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #11,377 of 25,502
Yes I agree. I just installed the Ferrum Oor and Hyposis Power Supply using the WA22 as a preamp and there is no comparison I’d care to give with this versus the A90 in the same configuration or the Singxer. I had both of those setups in the recent few weeks and just no. Now for the price those are amazing units but do not do any justice to the Susvara at all. None.

Congrats!
I think you are the very first writing about the Ferrums paired with the Sus.
Mine are arriving latest tomorrow but I won't find time listening before tomorrow night.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #11,378 of 25,502
The susvara thread has become more of a 'WHAT amp do I need to optimize the susvara?' for many months.
I am a big fan of the susvara and knew it was special from the first day. I am happy with the TT2 and BB tube amp and I am not looking for a speaker amp. I can understand those looking for more, just not me at least right now.

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #11,380 of 25,502
What does the susvara offer over other top tier headphones? Is it worth getting if I have a sr1a and (hopefully soon) a 1266tc?
It's a great all rounder that does everything well and nothing wrong (other than the amp requirements). It's also possibly the most comfortable top tier headphone. Abyss, Susvara, and the SR1a are very good complimentary headphones, but if I had to only pick one headphone, it would be the Susvara.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #11,381 of 25,502
It's a great all rounder that does everything well and nothing wrong (other than the amp requirements). It's also possibly the most comfortable top tier headphone. Abyss, Susvara, and the SR1a are very good complimentary headphones, but if I had to only pick one headphone, it would be the Susvara.
Wow that's high praise. I'm currently running a yggy + hsa1b, do you think that stack is suitable for the sus?/I'm worried the yggy might be bottlenecking the chain. Definitely interested in trying it, but was wondering what dac I should upgrade to

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #11,382 of 25,502
Congrats!
I think you are the very first writing about the Ferrums paired with the Sus.
Mine are arriving latest tomorrow but I won't find time listening before tomorrow night.
Would you please keep the Ferrum / Susvara impressions coming? I'm trying to decide between the Volot, Ferrum combo, or the Soloist 3x GT. I'm currently using an FA10 and assume the Volot and 3XGT will be of the same signature but more. But I don't know if the Ferrum sits closer to the AHB2 THX-AAA side or the Flux/Soloist Class-A side.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #11,383 of 25,502
Would you please keep the Ferrum / Susvara impressions coming? I'm trying to decide between the Volot, Ferrum combo, or the Soloist 3x GT. I'm currently using an FA10 and assume the Volot and 3XGT will be of the same signature but more. But I don't know if the Ferrum sits closer to the AHB2 THX-AAA side or the Flux/Soloist Class-A side.
Sure, can only compare vs Flux later.
Guess it's though also a matter of source synergy., so using different DACs can make a difference too...

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #11,385 of 25,502
I'm using an RME ADI-2 FS.
Yep, so Imho your RME is more neutral, analytical but you are lucky with the built-in Equalizer.
Am sometimes regretting that I don't have it anymore as it's a wonderful thought-through device with details like configurable loudness for low volume listening and headphone-insert-noise protection which I haven't seen in any other device.

The actual point I wanted to raise is that amp impressions will vary depending on DAC synergies and are therefore not 100% comparable if not comparing the same chain.
We could now go deeper into cabling but the hardware is the more obvious factor imho...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back