HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 21, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #11,342 of 25,533
Awesome I'll look. Are these better suited for the Susvaras than say, an A90 or a Burson Soloist? (already have a decent DAC forgot to mention).
far better than the a90 which I own...cant speak to the burson

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #11,343 of 25,533
thanks.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #11,344 of 25,533
Well after a week with the Susvara and the DHC Prion 4s cable I can say I have zero regrets. Didn't take long to get dialed into the sound, which is very addictive. I have really loved the Abyss for the last 2 or 3 years, first having then Phi CC and then the TC for the last year. My impression right now is that the Susvara sounds very different to the TC but can absolutely hang with it from a technical standpoint. Because they sound so different I think they compliment each other nicely. Right now I feel the Susvara is much better than the TC for vocals . The Sus has a very welcoming, detailed and smooth tonality. Relaxed but also highly impressive, never boring. The bass is very high quality with nice texture, and overall I do not feel the bass is lacking. It does not hit as hard as the TC but the tonality of the bass is very nice, and electronic music (Boards of Canada, Andy Stott, Orbital, the Orb, Massive Attack, Portishead etc) is my most played genre, although I have been listening to alot of music with vocals on the Sus as they just sound so damn emotive and detailed. I have not listened with the stock cable (well I did for 2 minutes when I first got them), so not sure how much the Prion 4 is contributing to these impressions. I am driving the Sus with the Formula S and Powerman + Wavedream on my main rig, AND to my surprise they also sound really nice (softer but still with a beautiful tonality, nice detail and imaging) from the headphone out of my Brooklyn Bridge in the office (the TC is also enjoyable on it). The Sus is making me listen to all my favourite stuff again to hear how it presents it and what sounds it emphasizes and makes sparkle that I may not have noticed before.

So right now I am enjoying the Susvara + Prion 4s more than the TC + Superconductor.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #11,345 of 25,533
It does, not as flashy or unique as 13R but it won the red dot award for its design (same as 13R).
I prefer the 13R look. I actually put my 13R in a tower stand so you can admire the beautiful heatsink feet with a light shining on it. Looks like a piece of art and sounds like one too.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #11,346 of 25,533
Glad you like the susvara and DHC cable!

We all have our priorities and where we chose to spend our money.

Somehow I am fine with 2 hp @ $4-6K, TT2 / mscaler as well as a decent tube amp.
I don't hesitate to spend real $$$ on NOS tubes but for some strange reason I have a hard time spending thousands on wire. I have some very good hp cables from Norne and WyWires but when I see cables for thousands of dollars somehow I can't justify those costs and I hesitate.

Is the Prion 4 better than the Norne S3, perhaps.
Are the big $$$ Wave Storm BNC cables between the TT2 and MS better than my inexpensive Blue Jeans cables, I would hope so!

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #11,347 of 25,533
I’m thinking selling lots of my gear and getting a susvara. My only worry is, do hifiman repair them outside of warranty? Zmf and rossen provide driver lifetime warranty

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #11,348 of 25,533
Glad you like the susvara and DHC cable!

We all have our priorities and where we chose to spend our money.

Somehow I am fine with 2 hp @ $4-6K, TT2 / mscaler as well as a decent tube amp.
I don't hesitate to spend real $$$ on NOS tubes but for some strange reason I have a hard time spending thousands on wire. I have some very good hp cables from Norne and WyWires but when I see cables for thousands of dollars somehow I can't justify those costs and I hesitate.

Is the Prion 4 better than the Norne S3, perhaps.
Are the big $$$ Wave Storm BNC cables between the TT2 and MS better than my inexpensive Blue Jeans cables, I would hope so!
I picked up the Susvara and an 8ft Prion 4s for quite a good price with less than 10 hours on both. The Prion 4s is $3,500USD (I would not pay that for any cable). I have also ordered some adapters so I can use it on the Abyss.

Re your TT2 and MS, as a previous Dave and MS owner I am sorry to tell you that nice BNC cables really lifted the game for me there - I had a set of SOTM cables.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #11,349 of 25,533
Sep 22, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #11,350 of 25,533
Well after a week with the Susvara and the DHC Prion 4s cable I can say I have zero regrets. Didn't take long to get dialed into the sound, which is very addictive. I have really loved the Abyss for the last 2 or 3 years, first having then Phi CC and then the TC for the last year. My impression right now is that the Susvara sounds very different to the TC but can absolutely hang with it from a technical standpoint. Because they sound so different I think they compliment each other nicely. Right now I feel the Susvara is much better than the TC for vocals . The Sus has a very welcoming, detailed and smooth tonality. Relaxed but also highly impressive, never boring. The bass is very high quality with nice texture, and overall I do not feel the bass is lacking. It does not hit as hard as the TC but the tonality of the bass is very nice, and electronic music (Boards of Canada, Andy Stott, Orbital, the Orb, Massive Attack, Portishead etc) is my most played genre, although I have been listening to alot of music with vocals on the Sus as they just sound so damn emotive and detailed. I have not listened with the stock cable (well I did for 2 minutes when I first got them), so not sure how much the Prion 4 is contributing to these impressions. I am driving the Sus with the Formula S and Powerman + Wavedream on my main rig, AND to my surprise they also sound really nice (softer but still with a beautiful tonality, nice detail and imaging) from the headphone out of my Brooklyn Bridge in the office (the TC is also enjoyable on it). The Sus is making me listen to all my favourite stuff again to hear how it presents it and what sounds it emphasizes and makes sparkle that I may not have noticed before.

So right now I am enjoying the Susvara + Prion 4s more than the TC + Superconductor.
Nice write up
I agree - as well as the great mids of the susvara, the texture and detail of the bottom end is superb

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #11,351 of 25,533
Just joined the club! So excited to be getting these (and for an insane deal too!). So now I get to bug you guys even more :wink: starting with two questions:
- I read the default cables suck. What would are people around here replacing them with?
- Just to keep an eye on the classifieds, what is the latest entry-level amp that people are recommending with these? I'll try to go through the thread and read up (promise!) but there's been a lot of lower priced, powerful amps coming out this year and I'm wondering which you think is the best bang for the buck when it comes to driving the Susvaras.

Thanks!
Imho the stock cables don't suck.
they are fine.
Enjoy the hp with it to start - no rush

But like most stock cables if you spend more you may find better ones for your preferences

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #11,352 of 25,533
Imho the stock cables don't suck.
they are fine.
Enjoy the hp with it to start - no rush

But like most stock cables if you spend more you may find better ones for your preferences
Yeah stock cable is just ok, you can have a noticeable improvement once you swap to a better cable. I found that Norne Vykari has excellent synergy, while DHC Complement C doesn’t bring the same effect, it even makes the sound flat with no sub-bass (just a bit of bump in mid-bass). Which cable are you using for Susvara btw?

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #11,353 of 25,533
Yeah stock cable is just ok, you can have a noticeable improvement once you swap to a better cable. I found that Norne Vykari has excellent synergy, while DHC Complement C doesn’t bring the same effect, it even makes the sound flat with no sub-bass (just a bit of bump in mid-bass). Which cable are you using for Susvara btw?
I go between norne volsund copper and nordost heimdall 2 silver plated copper

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #11,354 of 25,533
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #11,355 of 25,533
Are you keeping the Timekeeper?
it depends on whether the GT will make it sound redundant :) or I might keep it in a secondary listening station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back