HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #11,176 of 25,536
You're right. I also haven't tried putting Tibetan rocks on top of all my components, or upgrading to a linear power supply for my Ethernet router.
Cool, cool. The Tibetan rocks weigh things down too much, so you're not missing out. You could try a different streamer though, just to see, given how many other people also hear significant differences. 🤷‍♂️

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #11,177 of 25,536
Fwiw, the bx2 plus (portable amp) gets it listenable bjt certainly not desktop levels. Same with diablo. Kind of a "works if yiu have it but don't buy for this setup specificaly".

I will be currious about the m17 and lp7ti though. Both should have quite a huge amount of power for a straight dap.

Also, @FooFighter likes it on m30. Thats technicaly a dap
True. Though honestly I wouldn't get M30 for Susvara alone.
Waiting for Shanling to announce a new power amp module.
That could shift things a bit...

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #11,178 of 25,536
Cool, cool. The Tibetan rocks weigh things down too much, so you're not missing out. You could try a different streamer though, just to see, given how many other people also hear significant differences. 🤷‍♂️
I definitely could, and may do so down the line. The thing is that my system, as is, amazes and delights me every single time I listen to it. As much as I enjoy the technical aspects of this hobby, I love music itself 10x more. There are no obvious areas of weakness I'm looking to address at the moment. Meanwhile, I've got lots of other things I'd rather do with $15k, like traveling to some exotic locales. YMMV.

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #11,179 of 25,536
True. Though honestly I wouldn't get M30 for Susvara alone.
Waiting for Shanling to announce a new power amp module.
That could shift things a bit...

Does it not have a power amp module stock? Consider me very suprised tbh

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #11,180 of 25,536
Does it not have a power amp module stock? Consider me very suprised tbh
Turbo gain 1530 mW @ 32 Ω
That's basically not so powerful compared to most other options discussed before.
Therefore I consider it underpowered but still decent for a start with the Susvara subjectively

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #11,181 of 25,536
Turbo gain 1530 mW @ 32 Ω
That's basically not so powerful compared to most other options discussed before.
Therefore I consider it underpowered but still decent for a start with the Susvara subjectively
Thats a ton less power than I expected tbh. Seems like sus doesn't need much to be "listenable" but getting it to good levels is whats tough

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #11,182 of 25,536
Thats a ton less power than I expected tbh. Seems like sus doesn't need much to be "listenable" but getting it to good levels is whats tough
Yep, am also missing comparison baselines in contrast to many here
I can just compare my old IEMs and Denon AH-D9200 full size can against Sus directly on M30 and Sus out of K3 speaker amp and when comparing Sus on M30 vs the other mentioned options it sounds more "relaxed" but still decent. I would need more time to really find out what "relaxed" means e.g less dynamics.
Tonality wise I find Susvara out of M30 more neutral and less tiring than out of K3 which in return is more engaging.
I think similar discussion between TC and Sus just to a much smaller extend

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #11,184 of 25,536
All things considered, are you happy with your Roksan K3/speaker tap/Susvara setup @FooFighter ? I am considering a similar setup because this all sounds delicious.
Yep, but Pls note that it depends also on source synergy and music taste.
K3 is more engaging forward with raised body and upper mids.
That's not necessarily to everyone's liking.
Depending on the signature of your source this can be a good complement or bad synergy.
I also found other suggestions here interesting e.g Apollon 1ET400A Mini or March Audio amp with the Purifi module.
Looking forward to more experience reports...

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #11,186 of 25,536
I am not insisting the AMP-13R is dog, I did own it and compared it to my CFA3 and Pass 150. It has its strong characteristic which makes it an attractive option due to the size. However, with AHB2 and a desire for increased bass authority, the 13R is a relatively soft sounding amplifier.
As a former AHB2 and HPA4 owner, and current Pass X150.8 and AMP-13R owner, I can second this.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #11,187 of 25,536
Going to chime in here due to being new to the Susvara‘s and throw out my current setup and the next iteration of it. Currently running them with the WA22 with upgraded tubes, spent almost as much on new tubes as the amp so judge me on that if you want, thick skin here. As an amp the WA22 gets to 11:30 or 11:45 but not 12 on the volume to be at my max listening volume and that is with more vocal based tracks other wise I can listen an hour earlier on the dial. I also have the A90 so I sometimes run the WA22 as a Pre to the A90. Sound differences to me are that the WA22 as the amp is more fluid and warm by a 1 or 1.5 on a 10 scale. The A90 as the AMP connected to the WA22 is a bit colder but a bit more open in soundstage and detail. Nothing out of the ordinary for what I should probably expect.

I have a Ferum OOR and Hyposis PSU enroute and will give that a go this weekend followed by a Holo Serene Pre to drive them directly off of that soon after. So far I think the Susvara are Great, not euphoric by any stretch but just really great if that makes sense. Sort of like a REALLY good meal, has a ton of flavor, fills you up not leaving you wanting more and makes you want to eat it again several other nights that week without feeling like you are clogging your arteries with each bite. Hoping the Ferum or the Serene take it to the ”this tastes SO GOOD that it can’t be good for me” restaurant.

AEF5C06A-C09F-4DA6-A7AC-DAB3145E89A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #11,189 of 25,536
Going to chime in here due to being new to the Susvara‘s and throw out my current setup and the next iteration of it. Currently running them with the WA22 with upgraded tubes, spent almost as much on new tubes as the amp so judge me on that if you want, thick skin here. As an amp the WA22 gets to 11:30 or 11:45 but not 12 on the volume to be at my max listening volume and that is with more vocal based tracks other wise I can listen an hour earlier on the dial. I also have the A90 so I sometimes run the WA22 as a Pre to the A90. Sound differences to me are that the WA22 as the amp is more fluid and warm by a 1 or 1.5 on a 10 scale. The A90 as the AMP connected to the WA22 is a bit colder but a bit more open in soundstage and detail. Nothing out of the ordinary for what I should probably expect.

I have a Ferum OOR and Hyposis PSU enroute and will give that a go this weekend followed by a Holo Serene Pre to drive them directly off of that soon after. So far I think the Susvara are Great, not euphoric by any stretch but just really great if that makes sense. Sort of like a REALLY good meal, has a ton of flavor, fills you up not leaving you wanting more and makes you want to eat it again several other nights that week without feeling like you are clogging your arteries with each bite. Hoping the Ferum or the Serene take it to the ”this tastes SO GOOD that it can’t be good for me” restaurant.

AEF5C06A-C09F-4DA6-A7AC-DAB3145E89A8.jpeg
Curious about the OOR. Do drop impressions.

What cables are those?

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #11,190 of 25,536
Yep, but Pls note that it depends also on source synergy and music taste.
K3 is more engaging forward with raised body and upper mids.
That's not necessarily to everyone's liking.
Depending on the signature of your source this can be a good complement or bad synergy.
I also found other suggestions here interesting e.g Apollon 1ET400A Mini or March Audio amp with the Purifi module.
Looking forward to more experience reports...
K3 is definitely on the more “engaging” side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back