HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #11,147 of 25,547
You're right. It doesn't generate much heat and the position of the heatsink has been often commented on before.

From their website.
175Wpc into 8Ω Transient 310W Short term RMS
265Wpc into 4Ω Transient 620W Short term RMS
500Wpc into 2Ω Transient 1240W Short term RMS

It's class D, isn't it?

Like 2kish for both dac and amp.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to say a word about DACs :)sunglasses:), but I'd hunt for a used Firstwatt if I were after a speaker amp.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #11,148 of 25,547
so now coming to the pairing of Shanling M30 and Roksan K3 using the Forzaaudio speaker taps which Matt had kindly built for me.
First thing: Make sure you connect the right banana plugs to the right ports (Matt had given me instructions on which marked end is fitting where).
Second thing: switching M30 to preamp mode and turning the volume all the way down!!!
3rd thing: powering on Roksan K3 and start listing while slowly adjusting the volume wheel

Volume setting now on my M30 is between 15-20 for normal listening volumes, getting to 30 the very highest!
That power amp is having reserves through the loudspeaker plugs which are far going over what your ears (and likely the Susvara drivers) can stand!

I am running M30 now on Bypass-amp mode which is passing through the DAC attenuation directly through the XLR-ports to the ROKSAN.
That setting yet sounded clearest, most dynamic and punchy before using more sensitive gear like my Denon AH-D9200 but didn't using the balanced headphone-out driving the Susvaras directly out of M30 (Transistor amp mode had more juice obviously there).
On M30 the different amp modes (transistor, Tube, ByPass) bring different flavours to the signature but also differ in terms of dynamics and details (which is also shown in the M30 spec sheet). That variety is imho also a very striking advantage in contrast to other pure tube or solid state amps as you can decide about the best signature to your liking through hardware settings without needing equing.

Now in direct comparison:

Tonality: M30 direct = Roksan K3 > Flux-FA10 (too neutral-bright)
Resolution/hearing through: Roksan K3 -> M30 -> Flux-FA10
Punch: Roksan K3 -> M30 -> Flux-F10
Presentation:
- M30: Full bodied but not as engaging, a tad relaxed,
- Flux-FA10: more direct but neutral-bright, a tad "boring"
- Roksan K3: effortless, punchy, raised mid bass, raised upper mids and a bit above, more engaging

Conclusion so far:
- Susvara is fine out of M30 for more relaxed listening "on-the-go", yes I believe this combo can satisfy me yet in a transportable format
- Roksan K3, go-to for engaging listening with more punch without compromising
- Flux-FA 10, neutral, decent but for me in comparison a tad too boring, will sell it

Edit: the Suvaras don't match the punch of my closed Denons and from what I am reading by far not that one of the TC but I haven't expected that tbh. It's basically a different use case for transparent musical listening, now with the Roksan and also a tad more punchy with more engaging factor but it's still no "disco headphone".
Have ordered the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin ear pads and try these before looking for a different headphone cable.
Actually the length is nice for changing listening positions in the room but yes, the feel is like hardly cooked macaroni...

Attachments

• 65099D29-3820-4FD5-9AF3-0FAFA8A33A0A.jpeg
    65099D29-3820-4FD5-9AF3-0FAFA8A33A0A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • BFB59E3F-086E-4321-87A6-9BE79D502EC6.jpeg
    BFB59E3F-086E-4321-87A6-9BE79D502EC6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #11,150 of 25,547
so now coming to the pairing of Shanling M30 and Roksan K3 using the Forzaaudio speaker taps which Matt had kindly built for me.
First thing: Make sure you connect the right banana plugs to the right ports (Matt had given me instructions on which marked end is fitting where).
Second thing: switching M30 to preamp mode and turning the volume all the way down!!!
3rd thing: powering on Roksan K3 and start listing while slowly adjusting the volume wheel

Volume setting now on my M30 is between 15-20 for normal listening volumes, getting to 30 the very highest!
That power amp is having reserves through the loudspeaker plugs which are far going over what your ears (and likely the Susvara drivers) can stand!

I am running M30 now on Bypass-amp mode which is passing through the DAC attenuation directly through the XLR-ports to the ROKSAN.
That setting yet sounded clearest, most dynamic and punchy before using more sensitive gear like my Denon AH-D9200 but didn't using the balanced headphone-out driving the Susvaras directly out of M30 (Transistor amp mode had more juice obviously there).
On M30 the different amp modes (transistor, Tube, ByPass) bring different flavours to the signature but also differ in terms of dynamics and details (which is also shown in the M30 spec sheet). That variety is imho also a very striking advantage in contrast to other pure tube or solid state amps as you can decide about the best signature to your liking through hardware settings without needing equing.

Presentation:
- Roksan K3: effortless, punchy, raised mid bass, raised upper mids and a bit above, more engaging

Conclusion so far:
- Susvara is fine out of M30 for more relaxed listening "on-the-go", yes I believe this combo can satisfy me yet in a transportable format
- Flux-FA 10, neutral, decent but for me in comparison a tad too boring, will sell it

Edit: the Suvaras don't match the punch of my closed Denons and from what I am reading by far not that one of the TC but I haven't expected that tbh. It's basically a different use case for transparent musical listening, now with the Roksan and also a tad more punchy with more engaging factor but it's still no "disco headphone".
Have ordered the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin ear pads and try these before looking for a different headphone cable.
Actually the length is nice for changing listening positions in the room but yes, the feel is like hardly cooked macaroni...
Welcome to the speaker-amps-as-headamps club.

I am currently considering a March Audio amp with the Purifi module. My understanding is that it comparable to the Benchmark AHB2, including the smaller form factor but with less heat and more energy efficiency. It may also be a good match to my tube preamplifier.

Do people have good experience with using Purifi amps with Susvara? I think @Roasty had good experience with the Apollon but I'm unsure if there's more who do.

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #11,151 of 25,547

Presentation:

Conclusion so far:

Nice impressions

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #11,152 of 25,547
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #11,153 of 25,547

On M30 the different amp modes (transistor, Tube, ByPass) bring different flavours to the signature but also differ in terms of dynamics and details (which is also shown in the M30 spec sheet). That variety is imho also a very striking advantage in contrast to other pure tube or solid state amps as you can decide about the best signature to your liking through hardware
Thx mate also for your great reviews before which inspired me to come to this setup
Glad it worked out for you. 🙂

Makes me miss my K3. Lol.

Other than the great sound, I always found it aesthetically pleasing, in a retro-industrial kind of way.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #11,154 of 25,547
Glad it worked out for you. 🙂

Makes me miss my K3. Lol.

Other than the great sound, I always found it aesthetically pleasing, in a retro-industrial kind of way.
Indeed
At some point I will check how to stack the components a little nicer hiding cables, that's a slight disadvantage mixing transportable rig with desktop rig

Attachments

• 6EDB75CB-44B4-4F36-B3AE-68BCFEB53A96.jpeg
    6EDB75CB-44B4-4F36-B3AE-68BCFEB53A96.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #11,155 of 25,547

I am currently considering a March Audio amp with the Purifi module. My understanding is that it comparable to the Benchmark AHB2, including the smaller form factor but with less heat and more energy efficiency. It may also be a good match to my tube preamplifier.

Do people have good experience with using Purifi amps with Susvara? I think @Roasty had good experience with the Apollon but I'm unsure if there's more who do.

The purifi Apollon was pure pristine power. It did remind me of the AHB2, very clean and accurate, and sounded really good with the Athena pre which imparted a nice warm rounded sound to even it out. Mine was with the Sparkos labs opamp.

I've since changed to Kinki pre/power which I feel has more enjoyable mids and bass. Maybe because class A (?).

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #11,156 of 25,547
The purifi Apollon was pure pristine power. It did remind me of the AHB2, very clean and accurate, and sounded really good with the Athena pre which imparted a nice warm rounded sound to even it out. Mine was with the Sparkos labs opamp.

I've since changed to Kinki pre/power which I feel has more enjoyable mids and bass. Maybe because class A (?).
Something about class A that still couldn’t be beat? Have you tried a tube pre with your Apollon before?

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #11,157 of 25,547
Something about class A that still couldn’t be beat? Have you tried a tube pre with your Apollon before?

Only the wa33. I was going to go demo the Primaluna gear but just couldn't find the time. Especially wanted to try the evo400 pre. The local dealer seems pretty cool; he suggested to bring all my gear along and try out his integrated and pre/power combos and he would leave me alone for a few hours in the shop to play with everything.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #11,158 of 25,547
Sep 15, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #11,159 of 25,547
Only the wa33. I was going to go demo the Primaluna gear but just couldn't find the time. Especially wanted to try the evo400 pre. The local dealer seems pretty cool; he suggested to bring all my gear along and try out his integrated and pre/power combos and he would leave me alone for a few hours in the shop to play with everything.
Such a nice dealer!
Even though your wallet might disagree...

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #11,160 of 25,547

I've purchased the Apollon 1ET400A Mini (Purifi) and have had it in my system for the last month or so. It's available with a few different op amp buffers, and after chatting with the proprietor, I went with the Sparkos (Class A) module, but asked him to also send along the stock OPA1612 module (actually just a bare op amp mounted to a tiny header, and not Class A) since it was included in the price of the base amp. I had no sonic quibbles with my NAD M22 V2 (Hypex NCore Class D), but the Apollon has a much smaller footprint, is far more attractive, and Purifi does have slightly better measured specs vs. NCore (flatter treble response, most notably). I also liked the fact that the gain switch on the Apollon went down to 12 dB (the minimum setting on the NAD is 19 dB), which meant it might work for driving the Utopia, as well. So I decided to check it out for about $2k plus $450 for the Sparkos modules, figuring I could recoup much of the cost by selling the NAD.

The amp arrived with the Sparkos modules installed, and my immediate impressions were more energy in the bass, which was most noticeable (and advantageous) on rock and electronica, but a notably reduced soundstage, which I didn't care for. I decided to just listen to it for a few nights on a wide variety of material and see how my impressions evolved. I got an overall sense that I just wasn't enjoying music as much as I had with the NAD, which was confirmed when I swapped the NAD back into the chain. The fabulous soundstage was restored, and the NAD just felt more refined and accurate. This blew my mind, frankly. I wondered if the Purifi module just didn't deal with a 60 ohm impedance as well as the NCore does. At that point, I had basically decided I was sending the Apollon back even though I loved everything about it except the sound.

In my mind, I figured that the difference between op amps was going to be quite minimal, but figured I might as well try swapping out the Sparkos for the OPA1612 before I gave up on the Apollon altogether. What I then heard was........ glorious! The big soundstage was back. The stunning clarity and refinement was back. At first I wasn't sure I liked it quite as much as the NAD, but over the last few weeks it just keeps growing on me. I haven't swapped the NAD back in (yet) because it's been driving my Vandersteen speakers after one of my monoblocks died concurrently with receiving the Apollon. However, I do plan to go back to the NAD in the next couple of days, and will report back with further comparative impressions. Both the NAD M22 V2 and the Apollon 1ET400A Mini get my highest recommendation with the Susvara, but I would avoid the Sparkos buffers for the Apollon!

FWIW.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back