HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #11,102 of 25,431
For the Susvara specifically, if you're going to spend $4-5k, I would strongly consider a true speaker amp. And preferably SS, as I personally think the Susvara probably benefits best from one. I would see if I could get a dealer to either loan you or let you audition the nimbus or bakoon + speaker amps and decide from there if possible. I know that's not always easy to do though.
+1 to true speaker amp + SS

Amazing isn’t it how we never tire of sharing advice on our experiences with amps for the Sus, lol.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #11,104 of 25,431
I'm leaning toward the Bakoon because it has the versatility to power speakers which is nice but I'm curious if someone can elaborate on their own experience with either amp or possibly both.
As your budget is slated at $4-5k, why aren't you considering a speaker amplifier? Is size constraint a factor for you?

I never had the opportunity to pair the Niimbus with the Susvara but it was quite good with the TC although unfortunately way, way overpriced for relative sound quality.

I'd urge you the DIY route for maximized ROI or target speaker amps.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #11,105 of 25,431
Hey everyone! Coming from the IEM side of the hobby. Joining the Sus gang, the only headphone I’ve tried was a Focal Clear and I wasn’t too much of a fan. All the praise about the Susvara made me want to go straight ”to the top” but I am doing it a little weird. Just buying the headphone for now and seeing how I find the overall feel/fit/feeling of it on my head first, then I plan to jump head first into the amp rabbit hole if I can get used to wearing headphones after being an IEM guy basically my whole life.

Looking forward to it!
Congrats!
Once you have it and keep it and decided for a power amp, I'd be interested how DX300 Max will perform as DAC with the Sus...

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #11,106 of 25,431
As your budget is slated at $4-5k, why aren't you considering a speaker amplifier? Is size constraint a factor for you?

I never had the opportunity to pair the Niimbus with the Susvara but it was quite good with the TC although unfortunately way, way overpriced for relative sound quality.

I'd urge you the DIY route for maximized ROI or target speaker amps.
I am considering speaker amps such as the Bakoon amp 13r or its predecessor Enleum 23r but yes it would be nice for me to have an amp which can fit on my desk.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #11,108 of 25,431
I am considering speaker amps such as the Bakoon amp 13r or its predecessor Enleum 23r but yes it would be nice for me to have an amp which can fit on my desk.
We'll avoid convolution. Speaker amplifiers don't concede weight at less than 10 lbs. My CFA3 headamp is 30 lbs, for example and is the most powerful headamp not on the market. Ha. I get wanting to save space and the AMP-13R is a great candidate there. I'd take the Niimbus for sound quality all day. I feel the Susvara would not benefit from the AMP-13R's softer character. But hopefully you may get a demo in as to avoid flying blind.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #11,109 of 25,431
We'll avoid convolution. Speaker amplifiers don't concede weight at less than 10 lbs. My CFA3 headamp is 30 lbs, for example and is the most powerful headamp not on the market. Ha. I get wanting to save space and the AMP-13R is a great candidate there. I'd take the Niimbus for sound quality all day. I feel the Susvara would not benefit from the AMP-13R's softer character. But hopefully you may get a demo in as to avoid flying blind.
Its odd to hear you say that given how much the combination of susvara and bakoon amp13r is adored in this thread. What about the Nimbus makes you say you'd take it over the Bakoon for sound quality?

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #11,110 of 25,431
Its odd to hear you say that given how much the combination of susvara and bakoon amp13r is adored in this thread. What about the Nimbus makes you say you'd take it over the Bakoon for sound quality?
Everything is relative and in comparative contrast. The AMP-13R can't compete with the CFA3 in dynamic prowess or authority in bass response.
The Niimbus is a little more complete in this regard although still lacking.

You are presenting two relatively middling performing headamps and both in that upper limit of your initial projected budget.

It's why I asked why not pursue "real" speaker amplifiers or if size was a constraint, or if DIY was an applicable path of interest.

It also circles around to a bigger discussion of why you should avoid headamps as a particular impasse.

But I play your rules.

At that junction, the Niimbus encompasses a far more resolute and clean presentation that exposes the AMP-13R as being more rounded, more warm and compressed sounding. Some do like this, so as well, play to your preference if known.

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #11,111 of 25,431
As your budget is slated at $4-5k, why aren't you considering a speaker amplifier?

That Bakoon is a speaker amp in the first place and, considering feedback of those who tried it with good speakers, quite amazing in that role. Just my 0.02 :wink:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #11,115 of 25,431
That Bakoon is a speaker amp in the first place and, considering feedback of those who tried it with good speakers, quite amazing in that role. Just my 0.02 :wink:
Not a qualifier in my world. But once you've personally heard it, hollaback girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back