HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 15, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #10,547 of 25,539
Aug 15, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #10,548 of 25,539
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 15, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #10,549 of 25,539
Aug 15, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #10,550 of 25,539
Has anyone tried Cambridge Audio Axa35? Seems decent budget option.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/cambridge-audio-axa35
Honestly, I doubt many people who frequent this thread would have tried it. If you're looking for the best performance per dollar amp, I'd probably look at the rankings over on ASR. As a strong advocate of NCore/Purifi Class D amps, I'd recommend something like a VTV 1ET400A, which will run you a little over $1k and will sound fantastic with the Susvaras. It's also relatively small and extremely efficient/cool-running, as a bonus.

Aug 15, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #10,551 of 25,539
Okay, so may I ask whether any of you ever get even slightly tempted to listen to mid-fi (or lo-fi) affairs such as the Sennheiser HD600/650 or the Hifiman He-400I on occasion, nowadays? I was/am personally on the verge of confessing how I occasionally use my he-400i (okay, so I said it!) to listen to you tube music directly on my Macbook pro without any DACs or amps, and how that exercise also has its own charms... However, I hesitate out of fear of being charged with blasphemy and heresy, on this thread, and maybe even burnt at the stake :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In my defense, listening to the likes of the He-400i and the Hd 600/650 occasionally helps me to appreciate the Susvaras and the LCD-4s a lot more, apart from keeping me grounded in a way. Okay, no more confessions.

I listen to my M&D MW65 Bluetooth all the time. Since I can't carry a 50 pound tube amp with me, that's usually my go to when I'm mobile, just cause its so easy to grab and go. That said, I also have 64 Audio A18ts, but I almost only listen to those when working out. IEMs are great for what they are, but I think I prefer over ear headphones - even the M&Ds, if it comes down to it.

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #10,552 of 25,539
Returned to the Susvara today after 3 weeks straight of listening to the Raal SR1a, during which time, I even considered selling the Sus.

Work has been hectic the last few days. My backpain is receding, but very slowly. Almost imperceptibly.

I have rejoined my PhD program after a hiatus, so that was a bit stressful, having to deal with timezone issues, and sitting in online classes, at the tender age of 40, whilst managing the various professional responsibilities I have.

I have been cranky to say the least, lol.

In any case, after my morning cup of tea, I put on the Sr1a, and after a few tracks, suddenly didn't like the Sr1a. Thought I needed a break from headphones / music.

After a few hours, I pulled out the Susvara.

The rest was bliss.

What an amazingly natural headphone. Still loving it.

I have the same experience with each HP every so often. Necessitates having a stable of varying flavours (for me).

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #10,553 of 25,539
Over the last several days I've had a few moments when I thought that there might be something wrong with my Susvaras. I've heard what I thought might be an errant noise in several songs. Each time I'd swap the L/R cables and end up confirming that the noise is actually part of the recording. What is amazing to me isn't that these headphones have such detail. Similar to the Wells Audio Cipher, what is amazing to me is that there is such detail AND that that the music also sounds so natural. I am really enjoying this addition to my setup!

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #10,554 of 25,539
Over the last several days I've had a few moments when I thought that there might be something wrong with my Susvaras. I've heard what I thought might be an errant noise in several songs. Each time I'd swap the L/R cables and end up confirming that the noise is actually part of the recording. What is amazing to me isn't that these headphones have such detail. Similar to the Wells Audio Cipher, what is amazing to me is that there is such detail AND that that the music also sounds so natural. I am really enjoying this addition to my setup!
What’s funny is I have done the exact same thing. I even did it today with my Susvaras :beyersmile:

TOTL problems :beyersmile:

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #10,555 of 25,539
Wondering why is the stock cable so bad? Is it due to being thin? Is it copper and silver plated?

Do you folks think copper, copper/silver or pure silver is the way to go with the Susvara’s?

AnyOne ever use Corpse cable?

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #10,557 of 25,539
Wondering why is the stock cable so bad? Is it due to being thin? Is it copper and silver plated?

Do you folks think copper, copper/silver or pure silver is the way to go with the Susvara’s?

Typically, silver is for clarity and copper is for warmth.

I have a 10ft XLR extension cable from Corpse cable. It’s alright, but I would say on the lower end of cables though.

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #10,558 of 25,539

I did a direct A to B comparison between the Susvara stock cable and an Atlas Zeno cable from my EF1000 over the weekend.

I preferred the stock cable over the Atlas Zeno for a variety of music genres.

Currently I am finding no music sound degradation with the stock cable using my EF1000 or in the past my Chord Mezzo 140 Power Amp.

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #10,559 of 25,539
Because all Hifiman stock cables are crap.
Have you done any resistance tests with the stock Hifiman Susvara cable vs more expensive custom built headphone cables ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back