HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 30, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #10,246 of 25,441
The HEKse is truly amazing (and available here at a steal!). I understand that itch.

As far as the TC goes, go somewhere where you can try them on and wear them for more than 10 minutes. Your TC-itch will dissipate quickly. (No disrespect to any TC owners who find the sound worth it)
totally disagree ...once you get the fit right it is very comfortable and the ability to change the fit makes it very adaptable

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #10,247 of 25,441
Just sharing some thoughts on the PrimaLuna EVO 400 I picked up a few weeks ago. Will share in a few threads, since I've asked about speaker amps with each of my headphones in them. I’ve given it quite a bit of time and have done a lot of comparison against the Woo WA33 and HSA1b. Before providing some thoughts, most of the differences I’m describing are more subtle in nature. They’re a bit wider when comparing with the HSA-1b, but still not huge imho.

Edit* I'm using the Raal speaker interface box to the EVO 400. Using the Raal Sr1a -> conventional headphone adapter to connect TC/Susvara to the Raal interface.

TL;DR: the EVO 400 to my ears slightly outperforms the Woo, while doing so by a larger margin compared to the HSA-1b. The Susvara, TC and Raal all sound a bit fuller and more refined out of it. Vocals are also slightly improved. Bass is very slightly improved over the Woo in terms of impact, but is slightly behind the HSA in that regard and* quantity to a very small degree—but the bass is tighter and clearer which I didn’t expect out of a tube amp. Downsides: Amp is huge and gets hotter than the Woo or BHSE by far, which are two of the hottest running amps I’ve owned. It’s also a bit harder at times to fine tune the volume. Also suspect that another TOTL SS speaker amp could do even better with bass overall.

• EVO 400 vs. WA33
    • EVO 400 has a slightly fuller sound, has much more “tube magic” while still sounding really dynamic and punchy, which actually works really well with all of my headphones. There’s also an increase in perceived realism
    • The EVO 400 sounds a bit more open, there’s more separation in the music and overall it sounds a bit “bigger”
    • Very slightly harder hitting bass and slightly more in quantity than the WA33, but this is very subtle. I’m sure TOTL SS amps deliver more here, but also sure it would come with its own tradeoffs. (The larger difference in bass I saw with the Marantz amp and just knowing how SS traditionally sound are the reasons for this hunch)
    • Woo sounds quite a bit more neutral and less like a tube amp. I.E. the WA33 doesn’t sound like it has “color” or “warmth”
      • Susvara: more than any other headphone, the Susvara seemed to benefit the most from the EVO 400. It doesn’t transform it, but there is definitely a noticeable improvement over the Woo (and the HSA). It has a bigger sound, and sounds more refined. Sounds a bit more lush, but doesn’t sacrifice speed and dynamics, which is really important. Vocals feel a touch more thick, while soundstaging appears to be about the same. Definitely the biggest beneficiary of the speaker amp
      • TC: this was much closer, as the TC sounds really damn good out of the Woo. It adds just a bit of warmth to the TC, and actually compensates for the midrange recession quite a bit. Doesn’t eradicate it fully, but makes a decent difference. The WA33 again is a bit more neutral (HSA as well) and slightly relaxed, so the issue is more noticeable with the two of them
  • EVO 400 vs. HSA-1b
    • EVO 400 is quite a bit more expansive in terms of soundstage, separation and layering within the music. Sounds much fuller and more refined in nature
    • Due to the above, the EVO 400 actually sounds more detailed as it’s easier to hear each aspect of the music across the highs, midrange and low end
    • There is more bass and it’s slightly harder hitting on the HSA-1b, but it’s less refined than the EVO 400, which was really interesting. At times, it sounded less controlled and accurate than the EVO. However, I do also enjoy the pros here with the HSA-1b
      • Sr1a: as detailed as the Sr1a is with the HSA-1b, the slight improvement in spaciousness and separation makes it sound even more so with the PL. The Sr1a also greatly benefits from the lusher, fuller sound. I was hoping for a major difference in bass, but that’s really just not the case. Again, the Raal hits just a bit harder with the HSA-1b, but the quality and tightness seems better with the PL. Each of these differences are apparent, but not major (but again, being transparent, I would’ve thought that the PL would have taken the cake in this area, so props to the HSA-1b). Overall, with the EVO 400, the Sr1a just sounds more refined
      • Susvara/TC: mainly the same as above in comparison to the WA33 (outside of bass), but just a bit bigger in difference. I don’t really find anything special with the HSA/TC pairing (although very sufficient), but I find it to be a bit better with the Susvara for some reason.

Rounding out these thoughts.. the speaker amp is very large, which isn’t a big issue for me, but the heat is definitely more annoying. It is considerable for sure. That said, the improvement I saw with the Susvara was pretty impressive, and to a slightly less degree the Raal and TC. I suspect that the Raal would have even better synergy bass wise with a TOTL SS amp, but the question is what you’d lose in comparison to the EVO 400 or any other superb tube amp. I’d love to find out, but I just don’t have to appetite to buy and sell more amps.. especially with how good what I’m hearing is. I have a home office I need a second amp for and I’d prefer to keep the Woo, but the HSA-1b’s versatility in being able to use the Sr1a in addition to the TC/Susvara almost makes me feel like the Woo has to go. TBD on that.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #10,248 of 25,441
@number1sixerfan Thanks for the write up on the EVO 400 and the susvara. I've not tried my susvara on the EVO taps.. but i now will on this weekend!

what tubes are you using the EVO 400? (i'm using KT150 and brimar 1957 12au7s)

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #10,249 of 25,441
@number1sixerfan Thanks for the write up on the EVO 400 and the susvara. I've not tried my susvara on the EVO taps.. but i now will on this weekend!

what tubes are you using the EVO 400? (i'm using KT150 and brimar 1957 12au7s)

Oh I'm glad you mentioned this. I'm using the Raal interface box and the Raal Sr1a -> conventional headphone adapter with each of the headphones. I used the other headphones off of the Marantz speaker taps, but read that there was a bit of risk with tube amps. And I'm using stock tubes. Definitely will be tube rolling in the future!

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #10,250 of 25,441
Jul 30, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #10,251 of 25,441
I'm using the Raal interface box and the Raal Sr1a -> conventional headphone adapter with each of the headphones.
Do you mean that Susvara and TC are connected to Raal interface box male XLR output?

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #10,252 of 25,441
Can you link this adapter?

It came with the HSA-1b, I don't think it's sold separately. But I'll search online and see if I can find it as well.

Do you mean that Susvara and TC are connected to Raal interface box male XLR output?

Yes, via the same adapter you use conventional headphones on the HSA-1b with. With the Marantz I've gone straight to the speaker taps. I do suspect results could be better directly from the taps for the TC/Susvara, but I'm erring on the side of caution with it being a tube amp.

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #10,253 of 25,441
It came with the HSA-1b, I don't think it's sold separately. But I'll search online and see if I can find it as well.

Yes, via the same adapter you use conventional headphones on the HSA-1b with. With the Marantz I've gone straight to the speaker taps. I do suspect results could be better directly from the taps for the TC/Susvara, but I'm erring on the side of caution with it being a tube amp.
Ah I see, so you’re using the adapter that came with HSA-1b.

Jul 30, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #10,254 of 25,441
Get the EF1000 ! It makes the Susvara the best headphones on the planet...period !

I would love to try it one day. But from your descriptions of the heat, plus the size itself.. I'm out of space + my ambient temps here are around 30 to 32 degC if air conditioning isn't on.

I'm already really happy with the sound I'm getting from the May/Athena/Apollon. There is another class D amp I'm looking at, which is the AGD Audion monoblocks, which I may buy over from a friend, but it is currently back with the dealer for some repairs.

Jul 30, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #10,255 of 25,441
the bakoon 13r makes them pretty good as well!

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #10,257 of 25,441
Does anyone use ZMF cables on their Susvara? Anyone got pictures of the 3.5mm connectors on them?

Thanks
my zmf were mini 4 pin xlr connectors (like those on audeze lcd range and empyreans)

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #10,259 of 25,441
Yeah I know the ZMF headphones are mini 4 pin but you can order custom ZMF cables and have them terminate in 3.5mm but there's no pictures of them which is why I asked
@zach915m for @kw405

Users who are viewing this thread

Back