HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #9,061 of 25,539
Susvara is an ok performer but Primavera and TC is a considerable step up from the DIY T2 and 009 for most complete sound I've heard.
Thank you for the feedback paradoxper. Much appreciated.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #9,062 of 25,539
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #9,063 of 25,539
We can consider this topic closed. I will do this myself, and go through the hassle of shipping my Susvara to him in Canada so he can do his magic.
I don't contemplate ever EQ'ing either my speaker systems or my headphone system especially with good to excellent hifi components connected as one for the complete system with respectable interconnects etc.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #9,064 of 25,539
Headphones get rid of the room factor.

I can easily agree with this. That's why even affordable headphone setups can sound silly good versus more expensive speaker systems.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #9,065 of 25,539
I can easily agree with this. That's why even affordable headphone setups can sound silly good versus more expensive speaker systems.
A good and affordable speaker system in a suitable room for the speakers will always sound better than even the best headphone systems !

It's just that some people don't have a suitable room for a respectable speaker system or the use of speakers even in a suitable room will disturb others when played at a respectable listening level. For such people, headphones is then the only way to hear quality music !

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #9,066 of 25,539
A good and affordable speaker system in a suitable room for the speakers will always sound better than even the best headphone systems !

It's just that some people don't have a suitable room for a respectable speaker system or the use of speakers even in a suitable room will disturb others when played at a respectable listening level. For such people, headphones is then the only way to hear quality music !
I agree. People have been saying to me that with TOTL headphones, I can hear songs outside of my head and I just don't. I still feel as if I was in a bubble, which I do like, but compared to speakers, which are really in front of me, it is very different experience. Maybe with some DSP like Smyth Realiser A16 it would be a different story, but a normal setup with headphones, not the same.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #9,067 of 25,539

+1 for speakers!

My speakers aren't high end; my amp is at least 20 years old and my room is certainly not treated!

I don't have Susvara's, I have Solitaire's which may come close...

The speakers rule without one single doubt!

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #9,068 of 25,539
I agree. People have been saying to me that with TOTL headphones, I can hear songs outside of my head and I just don't. I still feel as if I was in a bubble, which I do like, but compared to speakers, which are really in front of me, it is very different experience. Maybe with some DSP like Smyth Realiser A16 it would be a different story, but a normal setup with headphones, not the same.
Yes agree. I have never heard a headphone system where the music sounds outside my head.

When I can, I prefer to listen to my speaker systems. If it is not possible i.e. late at night, then I turn to my Susvara headphones.

Also when I use my vinyl source, headphone listening can be difficult as the sensitivity of the headphones can pick up a lot background vinyl noise even with super clean records that have been anti-static brushed immediately before playing and a super clean high quality cartridge.

When I use my vinyl source through my speakers you hear very little to no background noise at all. Hence if I use my speakers I normally use my vinyl source which beats my CD and digital source hands down !

And use my CD and digital source more with my Susvara headphone system.

Maybe this is why not many vinyl set-ups go on sale on Head-Fi.org, yet there is always a long list of DACs for sale !

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #9,069 of 25,539

Although speaker systems give us what headphones can't (... in the long run), most living room acoustics usually are bad to mediocre at best. My point is that 'suitable rooms' (as in: really good rooms) are quite rare :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #9,070 of 25,539
You need to listen to the podcast to learn why there is more to headphones than you think.
The podcast is 95 minutes in duration. Can you provide an executive summary? TIA.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #9,071 of 25,539
Although speaker systems give us what headphones can't (... in the long run), most living room acoustics usually are bad to mediocre at best. My point is that 'suitable rooms' (as in: really good rooms) are quite rare :wink:
In my experience, it's not so much that most rooms are "bad to mediocre" acoustically as that for practical reasons it's not possible to position speakers in their optimal positions. As a result, bass response and imaging is often sub-optimal. That said, speakers can still blow the doors off any headphone even in a mediocre room. IMHO, of course.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #9,072 of 25,539
I listen to mostly headphones (I also use the LS50 wireless from time to time). I actually do hear sounds outside of my head with some headphones (TCs, Susvara, Sr1a). I also "see" sounds. When I listen to music, it's like a picture is being created. I find if you then orient yourself to accepting that sounds are contained in a box around your head (i.e., soundstage) you will more easily notice those sounds outside of your head.

Maybe it's just me, but when I picture a box around my head where different sounds are being placed, I hear depth, noises outside of my head, etc. I'm very interested in the visual aspect of music, so I have built my setup with that in mind. A friend of mine has some Focal loudspeakers (in an untreated room), and my headphones sound much better. I agree that imaging is better with speakers, but with some of these TOTL headphones, amps, and dacs, the imaging is still amazing. :L3000:

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #9,073 of 25,539
I listen to mostly headphones (I also use the LS50 wireless from time to time). I actually do hear sounds outside of my head with some headphones (TCs, Susvara, Sr1a). I also "see" sounds. When I listen to music, it's like a picture is being created. I find if you then orient yourself to accepting that sounds are contained in a box around your head (i.e., soundstage) you will more easily notice those sounds outside of your head.

Maybe it's just me, but when I picture a box around my head where different sounds are being placed, I hear depth, noises outside of my head, etc. I'm very interested in the visual aspect of music, so I have built my setup with that in mind. A friend of mine has some Focal loudspeakers (in an untreated room), and my headphones sound much better. I agree that imaging is better with speakers, but with some of these TOTL headphones, amps, and dacs, the imaging is still amazing. :L3000:
I wish we could swap ears for one eveing, so I could experience what you hear and you could save my wallet by telling me how crap my ears really are, haha.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #9,074 of 25,539

I can absolutely relate to this. The experience of headphones and speakers are so vastly different that it makes it hard for me to really say that one is superior across the board. The only thing I prefer about headphones is the intimacy, which refers to exactly what you're referencing. Speakers can't do that because they fill the entire room with music, it's just a totally different experience. (totally get that 'intimacy' would improve in a perfectly crafted room, but that doesn't account for them simply having fundamentally different experiences)

Now I'm not saying headphones > speakers as that would just be ludicrous as a blanket statement, but they have totally different experiences and I really love them both. For my modest Klipsch Heresy speakers I enjoy genres/songs that require less critical listening and I typically leave more complex music to headphones due to the effects mentioned above. (I have limited experience with higher end speakers due to room and volume issues--makes it hard to justify leaping into that world but one day hope to!)

edit* to put in perspective, it's the same thing for me with IEMs vs. headphones. The best headphones are generally better, but IEMs provide a unique experience that still may add value for some and is worth using even if you have the best TOTL headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #9,075 of 25,539
most hi-fi speakers have bad directivity index/power response. With such hi-fi speakers what the listeners hear is mostly room reflections rather than speakers itself, resulting a really bad imaging performance. Room treatment is necessary but it's not the ultimate solution, room correction softwares do bring different problems for frequencies above 400hz. There seems to be 2 solutions, It's rather to place speakers in a huge room or simply buy speakers with good directivity measurements and have preferably cardioid dispersion pattern in mids, bass frequencies. Those speakers have good imaging, almost on par with headphones like Susvara and SR009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back