HiFiMan Susvara
May 1, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #8,356 of 25,434
There is no better headphone out there Susvara is KING! Utopia to narrow metallic. Abyss TC recessed mids. LCD-4 no highs.
This is the only TOTL headphones without flaws! Beats even my reference for years the SR007 MK2 bass port mod + KGSSHv Carbon.
Great with V281 and even with my Shanling M8 amazing!

This is like the only thread I consistently see people trying to declare king of any TOTL headphone. And each time it's hilarious lol

May 1, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #8,357 of 25,434
This is like the only thread I consistently see people trying to declare king of any TOTL headphone. And each time it's hilarious lol

Yea... Cos we all know the Utopia is the one true king!

Lol... *runs and hides...

May 1, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #8,358 of 25,434
Yea... Cos we all know the Utopia is the one true king!

Lol... *runs and hides...

LOL

I actually miss the Utopia quite a bit since being without them for about a month.

May 1, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #8,359 of 25,434
I don't know much about the forums on AudioScienceReviews. I've spent my time reading and watching Amir's reviews. I've seen him praise a device that measures well and is well priced, but I haven't yet seen a review where he is not recommending based only on a high price tag. Grant it, I've only read a small number of his reviews, and most of those are electronics, not headphones (only the K371 and HE-6). He does have a bias for the Harman Curve, as I do.

I think he's just started reviewing headphones. Here's his current recommend list EQ'd and no EQ.

1619840546598.png

Here's his not recommend list.

1619840689773.png
Just goes to show you. I’ve owned some of the “recommended” and “not recommended” headphones on the list and the “not recommended “ on the list were clearly better for me. I’ve stopped listening to people about what they recommended. I’m more interested in people comparing/contrasting so I can figure out if something might be the right fit for me.

May 1, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #8,360 of 25,434
I don't know much about the forums on AudioScienceReviews. I've spent my time reading and watching Amir's reviews. I've seen him praise a device that measures well and is well priced, but I haven't yet seen a review where he is not recommending based only on a high price tag. Grant it, I've only read a small number of his reviews, and most of those are electronics, not headphones (only the K371 and HE-6). He does have a bias for the Harman Curve, as I do.

I think he's just started reviewing headphones. Here's his current recommend list EQ'd and no EQ.

His YouTube channel is ridiculously informative if you want a breakdown on the engineering aspect and how things work. It's great that he shares his knowledge as easily, and openly as he does. Highly qualified with the experience to back it up.

May 1, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #8,361 of 25,434
thecrow, thank you. This really helps "though some are critical of the moon amp and may call it as lacking dynamics, if you are enjoying it then the susvara will have another level of transparency/naturalness above the hekse ". You've put my mind at ease the 430HA has enough power to drive the Susvara's. I've been out of the hobby for a while and I'm not current on all the new products. With the 430HA's power output, I wasn't sure why I didn't see more 430HA + Susvara matches. I do enjoy the 430HA with the HE1000se. When the RME arrived I did a quick, informal A/B between the RME amp section and the 430HA. My old ears didn't pick up much difference if any. But I'm sure an objective comparison would identify a delta between the two. I know the RME had good numbers on AudioScienceReview (another new discovery for me). I gotta go and pull the trigger.
Also the susvaras swapped their headphone connectors from 2.5mm to 3.5mm about a year ago.
you probably would want the 3.5mm connections as they are not as thin and may match up with some future headphones if looking at cables

May 1, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #8,362 of 25,434
Just goes to show you. I’ve owned some of the “recommended” and “not recommended” headphones on the list and the “not recommended “ on the list were clearly better for me. I’ve stopped listening to people about what they recommended. I’m more interested in people comparing/contrasting so I can figure out if something might be the right fit for me.
i agree

comparisons are always valued by me

May 1, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #8,363 of 25,434
His YouTube channel is ridiculously informative if you want a breakdown on the engineering aspect and how things work. It's great that he shares his knowledge as easily, and openly as he does. Highly qualified with the experience to back it up.
I have no problem with Amir and do appreciate his work and all the info he shares. What I don't like is this closed minded cult that has formed around him that believe a handful of measurements tell you everything you need to know about something as subjective as hifi.

Also, this obsession with distortion figures and SINAD as if we're talking about equipment made to detect heart arrhythmia in a clinical setting. Whoever said distortion is bad when it comes to music? That's a joke to rock music, people who enjoy tube amps, or even precision crafted solid state amplifiers that use harmonic distortion to add character and a bit of warmth to the sound signature.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #8,364 of 25,434

1619840546598.png

1619840689773.png
There was allegations on line that i saw (sonewhere) claiming that amir was nwavguy but he denied them and explained why he couldn’t be

May 1, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #8,365 of 25,434
How's this for the top questions on Utopia @thecrow:
"When is the new version of the Utopia coming out?" or " Does my 5 year warranty start over when I get my new driver(s) replaced?"
let me see....sample question:

“Unlike the old utopia that, from what I understand almost everyone says they have had driver failures, (but geez it would be great to know what percentage....let’s start a poll) is there any warranty on the new updated version of utopia that was released recently or am i better off waiting for the utopia 2 that i read somewhere should be released soon”

* note non of that question is true, or based on fact

May 1, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #8,366 of 25,434
My EF1000 has finally arrived at the FedEx Station in my UK base town of Birmingham after a 7 day world tour of Japan, Alaska & USA (rather than FedEx sending it direct to the UK from China). But due to them not delivering at the weekend and the May Day public holiday in the UK, they are not delivering it to my local Hifiman Dealer until Tuesday 4th May. Then the Dealer has to send it most probably with their preferred Courier (not FedEx) to me, so most probably won't receive it till Wednesday / Thursday next week. The irony of this is the FedEx Station close to Birminghan Airport is only about a 15min drive from my UK base ! :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #8,367 of 25,434
Easy to get an adapter to go from XLR to quarter inch or other TRS termination.

I agree with the Crow. His comparison of the Empy’s v Susvara is spot on, though detail in the Empy does open up with the right amp.

The Utopia isn’t really like either. But easy to drive, even out of the balanced headphone out from a decent DAP

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #8,368 of 25,434
My EF1000 has finally arrived at the FedEx Station in my UK base town of Birmingham after a 7 day world tour of Japan, Alaska & USA (rather than FedEx sending it direct to the UK from China). But due to them not delivering at the weekend and the May Day public holiday in the UK, they are not delivering it to my local Hifiman Dealer until Tuesday 4th May. Then the Dealer has to send it most probably with their preferred Courier (not FedEx) to me, so most probably won't receive it till Wednesday / Thursday next week. The irony of this is the FedEx Station close to Birminghan Airport is only about a 15min drive from my UK base ! :ksc75smile:
p.s. I can't personally collect it from my local Hifiman Dealer on Tuesday as I partly (50%) paid for the EF1000 with PayPal, so under PayPal rules the item has to be posted to me.

May 1, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #8,369 of 25,434
Also the susvaras swapped their headphone connectors from 2.5mm to 3.5mm about a year ago.
you probably would want the 3.5mm connections as they are not as thin and may match up with some future headphones if looking at cables
Thanks, I was wondering about the headphone connector size. I have a Moon Silver Dragon I bought a while back for the HE1000v1 that I was going to re-terminate for the HE1000SE. I guess now I'll get it re-terminated for the Susvara:)

May 1, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #8,370 of 25,434

Users who are viewing this thread

Back