HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #6,470 of 25,444
Maybe she just doesn't like the sonic signature of the Susvara. Maybe the A90 isn't up to showing it in its best light (I've never heard that amp, so just speculating). Why would one person's reaction to any piece of audio equipment make you wonder why scores of other people love it?

I guess so. We all have different subjective preferences. I guess I just haven't seen a ton of people actually be underwhelmed by it, but maybe I was just surrounded by susvara fans and so had a distorted local perspective.

That does make sense to me in a couple ways. The 1266 TC's are more of an immediate change and instantly apparent, and sound unlike most other headphones. The Susvara are more of a "conventional" headphone experience, albeit an extremely refined one. The Susvara takes a bit more time to appreciate what its all about. Whilst the A90 maybe isn't the "best" amp for the Susvara, I would think it would let the person know what the Susvara is like, so I'm not sure that would factor in to their feelings too much.

It could just be the Susvara isn't for them, which is certainly possible as well :)

Good points. Sajid did say A90 is excellent with susvara so dunno ?

comfort of TC was a negative factor for me. Decided on Susvara . I am using ampsandsound Nautilus. Expensive but worth every penny.

This was weird too. She found TC extremely comfortable lol.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #6,471 of 25,444
I guess so. We all have different subjective preferences. I guess I just haven't seen a ton of people actually be underwhelmed by it, but maybe I was just surrounded by susvara fans and so had a distorted local perspective.

Good points. Sajid did say A90 is excellent with susvara so dunno ?

This was weird too. She found TC extremely comfortable lol.
😁 At home is listen to speakers. Headfi is for office and have to move my sight between 3 monitors. The movement made it impossible to use TC

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #6,472 of 25,444
20210201_181952.jpg

Received the Dekoni Fenestrated Elite pads. They were quite easy to install, thanks to the credit card trick by @ra990. The leather is very soft and smooth; I like it. However, not as lush or luxurious as my Utopia pads.

20210201_182147.jpg

They come labelled L and R, so no mixups there.. As someone pointed out, only a thin edge of leather is glued onto the blue plastic piece. It would be nice if a bit more leather was glued on, at the very least to inspire some confidence in durability.

20210201_182048.jpg

The stock pad on the left is visibly thicker than the Dekoni pad on the right. However, the foam in the Dekoni pad is not as soft, and therefore compresses less than the stock pad. I don't feel my ear touching the driver cover using the Dekoni pad.

20210201_182340.jpg

Pic above from the back.

20210201_182352.jpg

Pic above from the front. Some unevenness in the seams and pad thickness.

20210201_182432.jpg

When installed, the seams should line up with the plug ports (I believe).

Sound wise, I agree with the guys before me.. Slightly less bass in amount and overall punchiness, but similar extension and detail. Soundstage definitely sounds wider. I did find the top end quite similar sounding with regards to detail and clarity, but it overall slightly less forward and easier to push up the volume without becoming harsh or grainy.

I think there are some tradeoffs with these pads.. Will do some more listening tonight. One thing I really like is the leather is smoother and cooler on my face than the stock pad cloth surface, which felt a bit scratchy/itchy and a little warm after some time.

Attachments

• 20210201_182054.jpg
    20210201_182054.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6,473 of 25,444
Earstudio ES100 and Hifiman Susvara

Just bought a new balanced cable for my Susvara which terminates in a 4-pole 2.5mm jack.

Did this because from that jack, I can adapt it to a standard 3.5mm jack, or balanced XLR or whatever I need depending on my amp.

Anyhow, just for kicks, I plugged it into the balanced port on the EarStudio ES100 MK2...

And it works!

It's not Bakoon Amp-13R quality, but honestly, it pumps enough into them to be enjoyable.

Absolutely amazing. Completely unchains me from the desktop and allows me to take Susvara on-the-go.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6,474 of 25,444
Earstudio ES100 and Hifiman Susvara

Just bought a new balanced cable for my Susvara which terminates in a 4-pole 2.5mm jack.

Did this because from that jack, I can adapt it to a standard 3.5mm jack, or balanced XLR or whatever I need depending on my amp.

Anyhow, just for kicks, I plugged it into the balanced port on the EarStudio ES100 MK2...

And it works!

It's not Bakoon Amp-13R quality, but honestly, it pumps enough into them to be enjoyable.

Absolutely amazing. Completely unchains me from the desktop and allows me to take Susvara on-the-go.
Very cool product (ES100) I hadn't been previously aware of. I find it somewhat incredible that it could drive Susvara satisfactorily, though. Is the sound better than using it with a high sensitivity headphone?

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #6,475 of 25,444
Very cool product (ES100) I hadn't been previously aware of. I find it somewhat incredible that it could drive Susvara satisfactorily, though. Is the sound better than using it with a high sensitivity headphone?

I'd say for $100ish bucks for an Earstudio ES100 off of Amazon - its worth a trial (don't like - just return it).

Susvara's are so resolving, that even from an ES100, you'll get an enjoyable experience.

Generally speaking, you won't get a thick, more full bodied presentation like from a Bakoon Amp-13R), but its still very enjoyable. Lots of clarity, detail and air, but a surprising amount of bass out of that little, lightweight, cheap plastic ES100.

I'd love a few more Susvara owners to give a whirl and weigh in. I'll do some more listening too and provide commentary along the way. its a big change to be able to walk around the home with Susvara and a little ES100 clipped on it.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #6,477 of 25,444
Hi fellow headfiers, I was previously a he1000SE user. I was a huge fan of these headphones but I am now upgrading to the Susvara in the coming weeks. Very hard for me to wait since I am currently stock with the sennheiser 6xx headphones. Great headphones for the price but they definitely don't compare to the SE of course. Unfortunately for me, the right driver of my HE1000SE died, after 2 to 3 years of continuous use. I'd say I put 3 to 6 hours of use on them, per day. I think they had between 2500 to 3500 hours in total, but it's hard to say. But now I am moving on to much bigger things with the Susvara. I will have a brand new pair for much cheaper since they will take my defective he1000se in return. And I know they are definitely defective since I have tried different cables and amps with the headphones, right side stays silent. Anyway, overall I am satisfied with the customer service Hifiman has provided me.

Now I've been wondering for quite some time, what are the main differences between the SE and the Susvara? What justifies the price difference between both pairs of headphones. Do the susvaras have tighter bass, more air, more precise imaging than the SE? Perhaps the susvara has a smaller soundstage since the ear cups of the headphones are different? That's something I read but I'd like to have confirmation on this about the soundstage. I hope someone that had both pairs of headphones could help me with that. That'd be appreciated ! :o2smile:

I will be powering the Susvara with the cayin ha300 amp, with takatsuki 300B tubes. I also have the Yggdrasil DAC. Fortunately for me I will have a 3,5mm Susvara so the Norne audio silvergarde S4 cable that I ordered for the SE will be 100% compatible.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #6,478 of 25,444
So my friend on our discord still finds Susvara not good. She complains its very bight and forward and actually prefers empyrean and stellia. Is this a sign that susvara is underpowered? She is using top a90.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #6,479 of 25,444
So my friend on our discord still finds Susvara not good. She complains its very bight and forward and actually prefers empyrean and stellia. Is this a sign that susvara is underpowered? She is using top a90.
I don't think susvara is brighter than Stellia. When I tried Empyrean , I felt music sounded veiled. Susvara is probably the most balanced headphone I tried. It does require a lot of power. I am running Ampandsound 's Nautalis. Some members suggest speaker amps.()

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #6,480 of 25,444
I recently came to the Susvara from 18+ months of Empy and then a VO. I just sold my Empy's last week and while I enjoyed my time with them they are, as @Dipesh suggested, somewhat veiled in comparison to the Susvara. (Dipesh and I have very similar ampsandsound amps!)

We all hear differently and she is not a fan......... No right or wrong, her ears your ears!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back