HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #6,317 of 24,902
I just tried on the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and really like what I hear! The soundstage has opened up slightly and the sub bass seems to be coming from outside the headphone a bit more. Highs sound a tad crisper as well. Female vocals seem to have a bit more presence. They are very comfy as well, maybe a bit thicker, so there's a little more clamp. I had to drop a notch on the headband to relieve some of the additional pressure. Could be because they're brand new as well and need to soften up a bit.

Overall, definitely worth a try, they're not ridiculously expensive and the materials are nice.

Ever since my love affair with the Ether 2, I like having different pad options for different flavors of the sound.

20210122_150550.jpg

EDIT: Still listening and enjoying these, it's been a few hours. I haven't detected anything unpleasant about them. I detected hiss on a familiar track that I've never heard before. These pads seemed to have accentuated that airy region where hiss lies, making them sound a bit more spacious than the stock pads. It gives the headphones a slight U tilt and the mids seem just a bit recessed compared to stock.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6,318 of 24,902
I just tried on the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and like what I hear! The soundstage has opened up slightly and the sub bass seems to be coming from outside the headphone a bit more. Highs sound a tad crisper as well. Super initial impressions, might change with more listening. They are very comfy as well, maybe a bit thicker, so there's a little more clamp. I had to drop a notch on the headband to relieve some of the additional pressure. Could be because they're brand new as well and need to soften up a bit. Overall, definitely worth a try, they're not ridiculously expensive and the materials are nice.

Ever since my love affair with the Ether 2, I like having different pad options for different flavors of the sound.

20210122_150550.jpg
Nice... !

Not yet available in Europe I think... May have to procure from the USA again. Not sure which one... I'll wait for a few more impressions to come through.. :)

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #6,319 of 24,902
Is there a trick to removing and reattaching earpads with these headphones? I always feel like I'm going to break the plastic ring trying to get those thin tabs into those thin slots. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be that difficult?

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #6,320 of 24,902
Is there a trick to removing and reattaching earpads with these headphones? I always feel like I'm going to break the plastic ring trying to get those thin tabs into those thin slots. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be that difficult?
Ironically, I just installed a new pair of the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads on my Susvara yesterday as well! I first hook in the top, bottom, and left tabs, which is pretty straightforward. The tricky part is getting the last tab to hook. What I do is apply firm pressure inward and downward and then rotate the pad back and forth until the last tab hooks in. Before applying inward pressure, I pull the edge of the plastic ring up slightly with my thumb while also pushing down with my forefinger directly over the tab. Then use the free hand to rotate the headphone slightly and you should hear the tab click in. When all tabs are locked in, rotate the pad so that the seam on the bottom edge is aligned with the plug jack.

Preliminary listening impressions: The bass seemed slightly reinforced and more nuanced. Detail retrieval, previously outstanding, seemed to increase to otherworldly. That notwithstanding, the sound had a slightly more "organic" quality, for lack of a better word. It felt like I was closer to the stage, and there was somewhat less space between instruments. I wasn't displeased with the sound from the stock pads in any way, but I think these are an improvement overall. I need to do some more listening and will provide updated impressions in a few days.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #6,321 of 24,902
Preliminary listening impressions: The bass seemed slightly reinforced and more nuanced. Detail retrieval, previously outstanding, seemed to increase to otherworldly. That notwithstanding, the sound had a slightly more "organic" quality, for lack of a better word. It felt like I was closer to the stage, and there was somewhat less space between instruments. I wasn't displeased with the sound from the stock pads in any way, but I think these are an improvement overall. I need to do some more listening and will provide updated impressions in a few days.
Agree with your impressions! I think Dekoni did a great job with these.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6,322 of 24,902
I once tried using electrical tape as an additive support (like you), but it was mistake because the black glue of the electrical tape bled outwards and spread over the neighbouring areas. I have now used superglue and leather pieces cut from a discarded earpad to reinforce it in the same manner. However, the earpad material is too thick and it creates a non-esthetic look where there is gap between the earpad and the headphone's frame. It is ridiculous that we have to try to fashion crude home-made solutions in a product that is expensive as the Susvara.

Jeff.
To follow up here: I replaced my stock pads yesterday with a pair of Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin (brief review above). I had put electrical tape on both of the stock earpads a couple months ago, and there was absolutely no sticky residue on either the headphone or earpad surfaces. So the issues you mention with same may have been due to using a different brand of electrical tape or perhaps more heat or humidity where you live. I just bought whatever electrical tape was recommended by amazon.

The Dekoni pads are warrantied for two years, and I was told they will replace them in that time window if they start to fall apart, so I won't be taping the new pads.

EDIT: What prompted the changeover to the Dekoni pads was that the inner seam of one of the stock pads had come unstuck, and those are impossible to fix with tape or otherwise. A fair amount of the earpad material was protruding out into the inner pad perimeter.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #6,323 of 24,902
There's something about these Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads that is really bringing out the Hammond organ in all the classic rock I'm listening to and I'm loving it.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #6,324 of 24,902
Just placed an order for a set of the fenestrated dekoni! Thanks for the impressions guys. My main reason for wanting to change is the stock pads feel a bit "itchy" after a while..

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6,329 of 24,902
True, although those are B stock pads with an original price of $80. They may also be slightly smaller than the Susvara pads, but I'd agree there's likely a small price premium simply due to the luxury nature of the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back