HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 16, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #4,862 of 25,533
Any suggestion for Susvara cable upgrade. Looking into Wywire, Plussound X16 and Atlas Zeno.
Several of us have the Cardas Clear headphone cable (me included). It is definitely a good match

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,863 of 25,533
Any suggestion for Susvara cable upgrade. Looking into Wywire, Plussound X16 and Atlas Zeno.

I have a Danacable Lazuli Nirvana en route. Pricey but deserving of this HP. I'll report back after proper auditioning.

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #4,865 of 25,533
Anyway, the amp didn't care

Suffice to say, Nelson's stuff is unique :)

You could try FAW's cables. Not crazy expensive but two different conductor types make them very flexible.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 16, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #4,866 of 25,533
Okay, FYI : So I'm an official member of the"a 'fellowship of the Susvarians" since this morning. My unit (the Susvara) landed today, and so far I am listening to it on this system :

Sonore Optical module (optone audio LPS 1.5) ==>> Uptone Etherregen (Paul Hynes SR4T LPS) ==>> Metrum Ac Ambre (I2S) ==>> Sonnet D.Morpheus ==>> Flux Lab FA-10 ==>> Susvara

The Susvara replaced an HekSE in the same chain, and it took me less than one minute of listening to notice the improvements in SQ performance, although I am still a very ardent admirer of the HekSE and wish I have not had to trade it up for the Susvara...
r
And no... The FA-10 does not sound at all like a bottle-neck (or "weak link") in the chain. What I am hearing is this particular chain at its most resolving best, with the blackest background I have ever heard, at its most holographic best, and yet at its gentlest-on-the-ear best... And how delicate, musical, intoxicating and ethereal it all sounds, even when I am only a few hours into listening to the Susvara, so "burn-in" is extremely limited so far, and yet I can feel things opening up even more with each hour of listening.

It's too early to go into anymore specifics. I simply cannot speculate as to what more "burn-in" might bring to the table, so I find it more prudent to remain silent now. I can say this much though. The HeKSE to Susvara upgrade sounds like one that has gone in the right direction as far as synergy with the remaining system and outcome in SQ is concerned.

More to come, hence to be continued.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #4,868 of 25,533

WyWires Platinum if purchased during the summer sale may be one of the best deals of the year.

I have a PlusSound X8 and also one of their iem cables. I would rate their build quality as excellent! The only downside is they have quite a few metal options and combos and after getting one choice, I end up wondering how the other choices will sound like..

I have not tried Atlas Zeno.

I had an Arctic Cable Silver series and it was my favourite cable with the Susvara. Best high and low extension of all my cables. Detailed throughout the spectrum, clear and transparent, without sibilance. But I recently sold it, as I have their Palladium cable incoming within the next 2 weeks. If u can wait a bit for some early impressions.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #4,869 of 25,533
WyWires Platinum if purchased during the summer sale may be one of the best deals of the year.

I have a PlusSound X8 and also one of their iem cables. I would rate their build quality as excellent! The only downside is they have quite a few metal options and combos and after getting one choice, I end up wondering how the other choices will sound like..

I have not tried Atlas Zeno.

I had an Arctic Cable Silver series and it was my favourite cable with the Susvara. Best high and low extension of all my cables. Detailed throughout the spectrum, clear and transparent, without sibilance. But I recently sold it, as I have their Palladium cable incoming within the next 2 weeks. If u can wait a bit for some early impressions.

I can wait. I have an option of buying WyWire platinum with extension and sorts worth 2k for around 1k. How is plus sound sonically?

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #4,870 of 25,533
Okay, FYI : So I'm an official member of the"a 'fellowship of the Susvarians" since this morning. My unit (the Susvara) landed today, and so far I am listening to it on this system :

Sonore Optical module (optone audio LPS 1.5) ==>> Uptone Etherregen (Paul Hynes SR4T LPS) ==>> Metrum Ac Ambre (I2S) ==>> Sonnet D.Morpheus ==>> Flux Lab FA-10 ==>> Susvara

The Susvara replaced an HekSE in the same chain, and it took me less than one minute of listening to notice the improvements in SQ performance, although I am still a very ardent admirer of the HekSE and wish I have not had to trade it up for the Susvara...
r
And no... The FA-10 does not sound at all like a bottle-neck (or "weak link") in the chain. What I am hearing is this particular chain at its most resolving best, with the blackest background I have ever heard, at its most holographic best, and yet at its gentlest-on-the-ear best... And how delicate, musical, intoxicating and ethereal it all sounds, even when I am only a few hours into listening to the Susvara, so "burn-in" is extremely limited so far, and yet I can feel things opening up even more with each hour of listening.

It's too early to go into anymore specifics. I simply cannot speculate as to what more "burn-in" might bring to the table, so I find it more prudent to remain silent now. I can say this much though. The HeKSE to Susvara upgrade sounds like one that has gone in the right direction as far as synergy with the remaining system and outcome in SQ is concerned.

I'm in a very similar position. I recently upgraded my HEK V2 to a HEK SE and was trying to hold of on buying a Susvara so I could enjoy and explore the HEK SE a bit more, but I ended up getting a great deal on the Susvaras from a local headfi-er so here I am. My chain is currently Roon -> Singxer SU1 KTE -> Holo Spring 1 KTE -> Violectric V281. I was also smitten on first listen and immediately started to think the the SE was going to be redundant (I will try to give it some time though) esp. since I will only do listening from my desktop rig. I had already been planning on optimizing my desktop setup around the Susvara and already have an extra Pass Labs X150.5 that I am going to use once I get speaker taps from Norne. I was also looking at DAC options (Sonnet Morpheus and Rockna Wavelight are on my list as is the Holo Spring May, but then I'll need to use something as a pre. I'd certainly welcome any recommendations for DACs). Oh, this hobby...

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #4,871 of 25,533
I can wait. I have an option of buying WyWire platinum with extension and sorts worth 2k for around 1k. How is plus sound sonically?

I've only tried susvara with WyWires and AC Silver. I prefer the silver cable. the WyWires is no slouch, but I'm not a big fan of its build and ergonomics. That deal sounds OK but depends what u need the adaptors for. Otherwise, without extras, for the usual price, I'd rather get the silver cable.

I have X6 in gold+silver, and X8 in gold plated silver (don't know what sonic differences they would make considering both have gold and silver, but can't make 1:1 comparison as X6 is iem and X8 is headphone). Shared characteristics I would say are smooth highs and lots of bass (rounded and a bit boomy, rather than tight), crazy super lush and thick mids.

I may be just a silver kind of guy, but I find a well implemented silver cable plays well to the Susvara's strengths.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #4,872 of 25,533
Running this. Naim Uniti atom - Amps and sound Nautalis- susvara. Also loving those tubes. wish Susvara s cables were better quality.
20200911_123230.jpg
20201016_115910.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #4,873 of 25,533
I'm in a very similar position. I recently upgraded my HEK V2 to a HEK SE and was trying to hold of on buying a Susvara so I could enjoy and explore the HEK SE a bit more, but I ended up getting a great deal on the Susvaras from a local headfi-er so here I am. My chain is currently Roon -> Singxer SU1 KTE -> Holo Spring 1 KTE -> Violectric V281. I was also smitten on first listen and immediately started to think the the SE was going to be redundant (I will try to give it some time though) esp. since I will only do listening from my desktop rig. I had already been planning on optimizing my desktop setup around the Susvara and already have an extra Pass Labs X150.5 that I am going to use once I get speaker taps from Norne. I was also looking at DAC options (Sonnet Morpheus and Rockna Wavelight are on my list as is the Holo Spring May, but then I'll need to use something as a pre. I'd certainly welcome any recommendations for DACs). Oh, this hobby...
Don't know what you need the pre for, but for what it's worth the Sonnet Morpheus has a preamp stage which calibrates well with my amp for very refined volume control. Just thought I should mention that. For example, there are some who find the Liquid Platinum's volume control problematic. It is not quite linear and has no high/low gain control. All too often times it seems jump from low to loud levels too fast for many users. Paired with the Sonnet Morpheus, I just set the LP's volume dial on the 1:30 position, and then control the volume with the Sonnet Morpheus, problem solved! And the Morpheus drives all my cans that way, from LCDi4 to the Susvara, so that pre-amp stage is no fluke. That is just FYI. :slight_smile:

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #4,874 of 25,533
On the cable front, I am finding the Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 to be an excellent pairing : Very smooth, detailed, airy, and digging out all the goodies from the entire frequency spectrum, while remaining very pleasant and non-fatiguing.

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #4,875 of 25,533

r

Congratulations!

FYI. Only after you have changed to something “better” you will know if something has act like a bottle-neck in your audio chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back