HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 5, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #4,336 of 25,431
I received a brand new Susvara on 21 July to replace a loaner pair that I’d had for some while. My new ones arrived with 2.5mm connectors too. I had previously bought a JPS Superconductor cable on the basis that I could use it with my Abyss DiPhi and Susvara, but main contender was really Susvara. As it happens, it sounds great with Susvara and remains permanently connected now so I’m probably the odd exception who would have been disappointed to receive 3.5mm connector.

32D2FC29-0CEB-4D16-A9B5-1AAA5C2BD8FA.jpeg
No, you're not the only one that wanted 2.5mm pins. I already had a cable that I liked, Wywires Platinum, with 2.5mm pins for my Susvara. I sold my 3.5mm pin cable shortly after selling my HEKSE. I take care of my headphones and I've never had a connector issue in 28 years of owning high end headphones. I had the HEK v2 and now the Susvara with 2.5mm connectors and no issues at all. IMO, some of you guys are making a big issue out of nothing, but what ever makes you happy go for it.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #4,337 of 25,431
Out of curiosity what are your comparisons between the susvara and Diana phi?

I really like the DiPhi, but it’s not even close through a good set up. I have HD800, Utopia and DiPhi and they all do different jobs for me but the Susvara is in a league of its own. It is easily the best I have ever heard through headphones - but you need to feed it right as has been previously stated by many. A lot of people seem to like to criticise Susvara because of the price but, through my main system, the difference is astounding. In fact, my 10 year old HD800 are very good through the same system and, if we’re quibbling on price, I’d have bigger questions to ask of Utopia and DiPhi as to why they aren’t outshining the HD800 by as much given they are roughly four times the price whilst Susvara seems pretty good value in that context.

Susvara takes the best aspects of the other three and rolls it into one super sonic output. Having said that, if I could only keep one pair, it would probably be DiPhi because of their tremendous versatility.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #4,338 of 25,431
I'm having some trouble deciding! I'm ordering a Susvara but what should I get??

Bakoon 13R or WA5LE? I'm buying the amp purely for the Susvara, no other headphones will be using it. Synergy is the only priority. Any recommendations?

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4,342 of 25,431
Looks like the internal debate I'm having is solid state vs tubes for Susvaras.

What have you guys found that works the best and brings out the most of the Susvara?

I've had the best experience with speaker amps to be honest. Not that there aren't headphone amps that can drive the Susvara, but yeah, speaker amps for me. Out of what you've mentioned I'd choose the Bakoon just going off of specs and stuff, but I've never heard it so I can't say for sure.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #4,343 of 25,431
I highly recommend the bakoon

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #4,344 of 25,431
I have been resisting for years but your comments here are pushing me over the edge.
Going to put for sale my HE1000se and Stax SR-007 MkII to find the purchase. I am sure my PrimaLuna and Enigma will Power then just fine.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 8, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #4,347 of 25,431
you will be very pleased

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,348 of 25,431
Looks like the internal debate I'm having is solid state vs tubes for Susvaras.

What have you guys found that works the best and brings out the most of the Susvara?

I have been using the ZMF (Amps & Sound) Pendant and Topping A90 (really!) to drive Susvara; both are actually quite good. I'm particularly surprised by A90, given the price point, but it's doing an admirable job. So far I've only used the (stock?) Baldwin tubes in my Pendant, so I'm not sure how much tube rolling may affect what I'm hearing.

The one thing that's clearly better on the A90 is dynamic range / attack. For example, the chanting on "Hakkerskaldyr" by Heilung comes through with a forceful intensity that is startling. Same with things like loud cymbal crashes in orchestral music / scores. Tubes soften those blows so that they're not quite as real or present.

However, Pendant has delivered a sense of smoothness and depth that is simply intoxicating. I find myself gravitating to it as my listening source for Susvara more often than the A90, particularly for vocal-oriented music. Staging is more holographic, and while some of the bite is missing from particularly dynamic passages, I'm finding that a worthwhile tradeoff for most listening situations.

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #4,349 of 25,431
is anyone tried Susvara with Viva Egoista 2A3? does it have enough power to drive Susvara? I know that Egoista 845 is a power beast and can drive it well, but I am not sure about smaller Egoista, what do you think, maybe any experience with this combo?

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #4,350 of 25,431
is anyone tried Susvara with Viva Egoista 2A3? does it have enough power to drive Susvara? I know that Egoista 845 is a power beast and can drive it well, but I am not sure about smaller Egoista, what do you think, maybe any experience with this combo?

On the same note, how about iFi iCan Pro as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back